1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need Advice

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have finished my MA at Liberty University. Now I must make a difficult decision...where to go next? At one time I wanted to teach theology (etc) however over time and study I have found myself more interested in historical issues (historical Jesus, Biblical Backgrounds, church history, US history, etc). This has lead me more towards getting a MA and PhD in history. I am considering North Carolina State's MA in history with a concentration in ancient history . According to the program I should to tailor my program to tie into my areas of interest. I think this would serve me better (since I want to go into teaching Christian college/university) than going further with the theology degrees. Though I probably would return and get at least a second Masters in Theology at some point in the future.

What say you?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

Have we not talked about this before on the BB?

Are you a minister (or wannabe?)? Do you want to teach at a seminary or Bible college, it would seem you need the ministr credential if this is the end.

If you are then do the MDiv/PhD at a good evangelical seminary.

If NOT, then do the MA/PhD at any good secular university where you can get in and still afford it.

It also depends a lot on whether or not you want to study/teach church history or ancient history as you have indicated.

Knowing for sure what "you want to be when you grow up" can make a difference what school you want/need to attend.

sdg!

rd

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have we not talked about this before on the BB?

==In general, yes. I was just talking about this one program.

Are you a minister (or wannabe?)? Do you want to teach at a seminary or Bible college, it would seem you need the ministr credential if this is the end.

==No.

If NOT, then do the MA/PhD at any good secular university where you can get in and still afford it.

==Yep.

It also depends a lot on whether or not you want to study/teach church history or ancient history as you have indicated.

==Church history is a good side, but ancient history will be the focus. This program at NC State deals alot with the New Testament period. I think it will be a great degree/knowledge to have. It will help in studying several of the issues I mentioned.

Martin.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

You could do a lot worse than any program in the public universities in North Carolina.

Sounds like a plan.

sdg!

rd