1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

need verses about talking in tongues is not biblical in this generation

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chickenlady, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Lance

Lance New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm totally cool with what you are saying about "that which is perfect" being Christ (it might be), and I'd rather learn from the Greek if it was closer to the truth, but to say that these gifts are still around is a bit iffy to me. Tongues, for example, has restrictions on it that blast all that I've heard out of the water. The Assemblies started because a woman spoke in tongues at a meeting. I'm pretty sure that 1st Corinthians 14 deals with that.

Also, healing is probably done away with too. I mean one prominent healer wrote a book about ten people he had healed, and Hardcopy followed up on those people with a 0% healed rating. I mean Paul instructs Timothy to use wine for his stomach and often infirmities. He also tells one group that he went to they would have given him their eyes if it would have helped him. At the end of 2nd Timothy, he says he had to leave some guy somewhere because he was sick. Of course, we all know that he had Luke, the physician, travelling with him.

Question: Is there even a place in the Bible where a Gentile gets healed?

These are some things that I was thinking about. I'll probably talk about some other gifts later.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Lance,

the centurion who came and told Jesus that He didn't even need to come into the house to heal his servant, He knew all Jesus had to do was speak the word. I guess you could make the case that the centurion's servant might have been Jewish, but it is not specifically stated....and it was the Gentile centurion who's faith was commended in that case.
    Matthew 8:5-13

Also, I believe there was a woman who was healed after saying "even the dogs eat the crumbs from the master's table."
    Matthew 15:22-28

3. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Lance,

I didn't state whether the gifts were still active. I presented the truth of the original Greek as you can see in the thread from where I started. I know for certain that if churches recognize tongues as still being active, they do not adhere to the principles set forth in 1 Corinthians regarding interpretation and taking turns.

I would say that there is nothing more accurate than studying the original language rather than English. Unfortunately, many of us are not Greek scholars. I rely on good dictionaries and word studies.

Let's all keep studying.

4. Lance

Lance New Member

I didn't mean to disagree with you guys. It's my bad. I was just adding to the discussion. The fact that they had at most a hit or miss healing thing going on was my point. I'm glad you guys are really knowledgeable though.

5. Lance

Lance New Member

Mom: I wasn't talking about by Jesus. He never missed a beat in healing. I meant once he headed out and Paul's gentile apostleship started. There is definitely a difference between Him (who kept the entire law) and Paul who siad we are no longer under the schoolmaster (which he just called the law in Galatians 3:23-27 somewhere). My bad for not mentioning that.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

its ok Lance....thanks for clarifying.

ALthough I would imagine Gentiles were healed just as much as Jews, because it doesn't actually specify.

Then again, since it doesn't specify, that would only be speculating.