1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Army

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by El_Guero, Aug 30, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Nightline describes Army Basic Training as different than it was a generation ago . . .

Am I the only one that thought it looked awfully familiar?

;)

They said passing Basic Training has moved from passing 3 skills to passing 41 . . . Seems I remember something like 40 myself . . .

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dunno if this is nationwide, but I seem to remember seeing an ad in one of the papers here in WNY recruiting for the National Guard (forgot which branch), and it said right there in black and white: "GED or HS diploma not necessary".

Wow !

Have things become that different now ?

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Didn't see the program, but 3 skills?? I don't know where they came up with that. I guess they are talking about that round robin testing at the end of basic. I remember at least 15 stations.

Apparently it changes back and forth, depending on who's running things and how picky they want to be. I remember guys (late 70's) with no diploma going off for classes/testing several hours a week and getting a GED before graduating from basic.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, okay. Maybe that's it.

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Understandably, they aren't really picky right now. An unpopular war will do that.

The Army is now investigating their recruiters. Apparently, some of them have crossed the line trying to get people to join.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yeah Yeah Yeah . . . you could have been a beetle . . .

Back to the thread - it is ironic how little the non-veterans understand about the military.

I vote for the draft . . . extend it up to 35 years of age . . . and send all the non-veterans over the age of 25 to Iraq first.

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

lol...Sounds like a plan El_Guero

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

The military is always investigating recruiters for “crossing the line.” They are under great pressure to make their recruiting goals and even though they are making their goals nationwide local goals may still fall short. If you don’t make your quota as a recruiter it is a career ending move. I know a number of E5s and E6s who got a poor evaluation from a recruiting assignment and never made E7 because of it.

If you don’t have a diploma or GED than the military can help with that. You will have one before long. The real stickler for recruits is children. Women who have had children or men who are financially responsible for them are ineligible for military service.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

My room-mate was relieved for cause because he did not make his numbers . . .

. . . they immediately sent him to Korea, and his wife left him.

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I'll at least give you credit for admitting it.

How about sending the adult children of the people who are pushing for the war, first?

Betcha there'd be a lot fewer Iraqs and Vietnams if that was the case.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You are sure 'nuff right on this time. All of the rich and powerful need to help this country out. Since you have all of the solutions and the intel the President(s) did not have, we will make you an honorary captain - and you can lead them.

I bet it would be the war to end all wars.

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Right. For the first time in American History, the children of the people in power are avoiding military service like the plague. Bad sign, as you seem to understand.

Words like "duty" and "honor" don't seem to mean much to the guys running things, now. Wasn't always that way. JFK, John Kerry, Bush the Elder, and many more, all had the means to dodge service, but volunteered for combat duty.

Now the powerful seem to think of patriots as suckers, and shield their children from performing service.

You've started using your imagination to argue with yourself again. While it might be personally satisfying for you to invent opinions for me, you might want to consider how it looks to everyone else.

My point is that if Bush wants to be president, then he is accountable for what he does. Granted, that ruffles your feathers a bit, but he's finally in a spot where Daddy's influence can't help him.

But I can see one easy fix. Fire Rummy, and let the generals fight the war. If he had listened to them from the start, we wouldn't be in this mess.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Galatian

Did you forget that

. . . during the civil war the rich hired the poor to take their places in the war . . .

. . . but, since you are the only American with the solution - you need to step up to the plate and bring our boys home. . .

That is if you are not just all talk.