1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Covenant in the Old Testament

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, May 21, 2015.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thread will discuss the Bible texts that talk about the New Covenant in place - in the Old Testament - pre-cross age.

First -- what doe the Bible say ?

[FONT=&quot]New Covenant first found in [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Deut 6:6[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You shall love the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lord[/FONT][FONT=&quot] your God with all your heart[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and with all your soul and with all your might.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 6 These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jer 31:31-33 – NEW Covenant[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Jer 31[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    31 "" Behold, days are coming,'' declares the LORD, ""when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
    32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,'' declares the LORD.
    33 ""But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,'' declares the LORD, "" I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
    34 ""They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, "Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,'' declares the LORD, ""for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.''
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Laws written on the heart.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2. Forgiveness of sins.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3. Adoption as children - sons of God etc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4. The people of God.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ps 37:27-31[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Depart from evil and do good[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    So you will abide forever.
    28 For the Lord loves justice
    And does not forsake His godly ones;
    They are preserved forever,
    But the descendants of the wicked will be cut off.
    29 The righteous will inherit the land
    And dwell in it forever.
    30 The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,
    And his tongue speaks justice.
    31 The law of his God is in his heart;
    His steps do not slip.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ezek 36:26-27[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]26 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Deut 30:6[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Moreover the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lord[/FONT][FONT=&quot] your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lord[/FONT][FONT=&quot] your God with all your heart[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and with all your soul, so that you may live.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ps 40:8[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I delight[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to do Your will, O my God;[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Your Law is within my heart.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prov 3:1-3[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My son, do not forget my teaching,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    But let your heart keep my commandments;
    2 For length of days and years of life
    And peace they will add to you.
    3 Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
    Bind them around your neck,
    Write them on the tablet of your heart.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Gospel was preached to Abraham[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” Gal 3:7[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Only ONE Gospel – Gal 1:6-9[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]They all drank from that SAME spiritual ROCK and that ROCK was Christ”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1C 10:4[/FONT]

#1 BobRyan, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now to "define terms" --- key in any discussion.

Some people will switch between the modern term "old testament" to the Bible term "old Covenant" (There is no Bible term "Old Testament")

They will also switch between the modern term "new testament" to the Bible term "New Covenant".

And they will equivocate between the Bible term "New Testament" and the modern term "New Testament".

Those terms are all different.

In the Bible the other word for "Scrpture" was not "Old Covenant" and was not "Old Testament" - rather it was "Law and the prophets".

Our modern term for scripture includes what WE call "The Old Testament and the New Testament" - 66 books. That is not now the NT writers used those terms.

For Bible writers.

"New Testament" - "New Covenant" were talking about the same thing - but not 27 books of the Bible.

"Scripture" was talking about the 39 books we call the "Old Testament".

"New Covenant" was a reference to Jer 31:31-33. Which turns out to be the "Gospel - the "One Gospel" under which mankind is saved no matter if one lived in the OT times, pre-cross or NT times.

in Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [FONT=&quot]Only two groups.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Lost – [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Saved – [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 John 3[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]He that committeth sin is of the devil[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]9 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]10 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Only 1 Gospel – Gal 1:6-9[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]9 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]All have sinful natureRomans 3[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]9 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin;[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 10 as it is written,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]There is none righteous, not even one[/FONT][FONT=&quot];[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    11 There is none who understands,
    There is none who seeks for God;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]=================== OT SAINTs – really had the Gospel[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]John 8 – “Abraham saw MY day and was glad”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gal 3:7 “The Gospel was preached to Abraham”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Heb 4:2 “The Gospel was preached to US just as it was to THEM Also”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1Cor 10:4 – they “ALL drank from the same spiritual ROCK and that ROCK was Christ”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]============= OT saints – saved, born-again, saints, pleasing to God[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Matt 17 – Moses and Elijah appear WITH Christ when He is glorified – “transfigured” before the 3 disciples and the disciples bow down.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Heb 11 – the OT saints are held up as the models for NT saints.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
    2 For by it the men of old gained approval.
    3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.
    4 By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained the testimony that he was righteous, God testifying about his gifts, and through faith, though he is dead, he still speaks.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; AND HE WAS NOT FOUND BECAUSE GOD TOOK HIM UP; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. [/quote]
    7 By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.
    8 By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.
    9 By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise;
    10 for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
    11 By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised.
    12 Therefore there was born even of one man, and him as good as dead at that, as many descendants AS THE STARS OF HEAVEN IN NUMBER, AND INNUMERABLE AS THE SAND WHICH IS BY THE SEASHORE.
    13 All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [FONT=&quot]================= New Covenant in the NT[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]THIS Gospel of the kingdom[/FONT][FONT=&quot] will be preached in all the world and THEN shall the end come”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Matt 24[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WE have had the Gospel preached to US Just as they did also[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” Heb 4:2[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]But what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" 1Cor 7:19[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Only ONE Gospel – Gal 1:6-9[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]IF you Love Me KEEP My Commandments[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” John 14:!5[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Love Me and KEEP My Commandments[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” Ex 20[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The saints “KEEP the Commandments of God AND Their faith in Jesus[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” Rev 14:12

"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Do we then make void the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! In fact we Establish the Law of God[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" Rom 3:31

1John 5
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2By this we know that we love the children of God, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]when we love God and observe His commandments. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3For this is the love of God, that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]we keep His commandments[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; and His [/FONT][FONT=&quot]commandments are not burdensome[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Christ is not a legalist – but a Gospel preaching – New Covenant teacher[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Even when He is correcting religionists – [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mark 7
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
    8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
    9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
    10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
    11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
    12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
    13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    When Christ speaks of one of the Ten Commandments He tells us that they are the “Word of God” – the “Commandment of God” and “Moses said

The Law accomplishes condemnation for the lost.

But for the saved - it is written on the mind and heart. The very part of the New Covenant most rejected by some and accepted by others.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

#4 BobRyan, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As noted on another thread - Christ makes a great point in Mark 7 and those who choose to ignore His teaching do so at their own peril.

His teaching is consistent.

[FONT=&quot]Matt 5
    17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 16[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]17[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail.
    18 “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery. [/FONT]