1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Living Translation.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Ivon Denosovich, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Last Sunday, my pastor gave me a New Living Translation. I'd never seen one before but I kinda like it. I read Mattew and Mark yesterday and am currently reading Luke today. To me, it's easier to read than my NIV and it makes more sense... (personal thing.) But I've heard people say it isn't "accurate" and am wondering what would I be missing if I began to exclusively use the NLT?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it the NLTse which came out in 2004 ? There was an earlier one which was released in 1996 . The second edition is better .

You shouldn't use it exclusively -- no one should use one version exclusively . Use a more formally-equivalent version such as the NRSV or TNIV alongside it .

I love the NLTse . More people should investigate this version for themselves . They'll discover a freshness to God's Holy Word . It's actually readable and understandable .

3. s8147817430

s8147817430 New Member

If it is just for reading, you will be ok. If it is for indepth study it is not word for word accurate like the NASB or ESV or NKJV.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NASB , ESV and NKJV are not word-for-word translations . No translation into English or most other languages can be . We do not have exact English counterparts for words in the original languages . Our translations are approximations .

5. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Yeah it's the second editition. I love it already and I haven't had it but a few days. Btw, what's the NRSV... is that similar to NASB?

6. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    NRSV= New Revised Standard Version
    NASB=New American Standard Bible

For most on this forum, the NASB is the superior version, it is a more formal equivalence translation. The NRSV is the mainline demonimation version of choice, and is of the gender neutral variety.

7. s8147817430

s8147817430 New Member

I know that. But they are much closer.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Putting the gender issue aside, the NRSV is a more reliable version than the NASB.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As most people know, I've been an NASB guy, but it is not strictly a word-for-word, as most people believe.

Well put, Rippon.