1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Orleans Saints

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Mike McK, Sep 1, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The sports radio station here reported today that the Saints owner wants them to play this season in Baton Rouge.

2. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Does Benson still own the Saints? If so, he made all his millions in San Antonio and at one time lobbied for NFL team for San Antonio.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Benson does still own the team and probably could move them wherever he wanted, see Al Davis vs. NFL. As it is now New Orleans (or maybe the state) has to pay him about 10-15 million dollars to stay. Benson has wanted to move the team for years, now with a ruined stadium and sinking town, my guess it that the team will move, probably to the LA area.

BTW, what great memories are there in the history of Saints football, what really would they be missing out on?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

On the news last night they mentioned the dome need's such extensive repair that they will not repair it. It looke like New Orleans will be without an NFL team permanently. I say L.A. will get the saints. I just hope they change the name and give New Orleans the rights to the saints name and colors "just in case" like they did with my beloved Browns.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would you like to be one of the top 10 cities in America in population and NOT have a professional football team? While N'Orleans has drawn mediocre fan support, I would think Los Angeles (#2 in America and no team) OR San Antonio (#8 in America and no team) could do well to take the team.

Reports today (9-9) are that Saints will play 4 "home" games in San Antonio. Hope they do well, but still think L.A. would be the logical choice for permanent move of the team.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The biggest problem with Los Angeles having a football team is the stadium. The LA Coliseum is a possibility, but the Rams played there and left for St. Louis. The Raiders played there and went back to Oakland. From what I understand, the NFL wants to see a new stadium to go along with a team, but there are a number of issues to work through for a new stadium in L.A. As far as San Antonio goes, I thought I heard that the Alamodome doesn't hold enough people to be able to support a professional football team.

However, I think that putting a football team in either L.A. or San Antonio will happen if the NFL and others want it bad enough. It's amazing how money can be found to do things if the interested parties want the thing done bad enough.

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Dr. Bob,
    Thanks for making the point that LA and SA are top 10 cities without a NFL team. After all, Dallas and Houston are quite a distance from SA.
    WallyGator

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Top 30 US Cities in population WITHOUT a NFL franchise:

2. Los Angeles, 3,700,000
    9. San Antonio, 1,200,000
    11. San Jose, 900,000
    15. Columbus, 750,000
    16. Austin, 660,000
    18. Memphis, 650,000
    19. Milwaukee, 600,000
    23. El Paso, 575,000
    28. Portland, 530,000
    29. Oklahoma City, 510,000
    30. Tucson, 495,000

New Orleans is not in the top 30 in size

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

San Antonio just doesn't seem like a football town (IMHO).

LA has never been able to keeeep a team.

I would think that Baton Rouge might be a good move, especially if it is to become New Orleans (West) like they are saying.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baton Rouge is smaller than Stockton or Bakersfield or Riverside, California, and has a lot less going for it. And folks in those cities (near LA) have to go 300-500 miles to see a game.

What is so great about the history of the Saints as to want to keep them in a region that does NOT support pro football??

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    More about the "Ain'ts"

The NFL awarded the city of New Orleans an NFL franchise on November 1, 1966 (all saints day, origin of the name). They climbed to 2nd in their division in 1979 and 1983.

In 1980, the Saints lost their first 14 games, prompting fans to design paper bags to wear over their heads to the team's home games; the bags rendered the club's name as the "'Aints" rather than the "Saints".

They finally won a division title in 1991 and went to the playoffs in 2000.

Baton Rouge is 80 miles away, while San Antonio is 540 miles away. The Saints owner, Tom Benson, has strong business and personal ties to San Antonio and rumors had circulated well before the disaster that he wanted to relocate the franchise to San Antonio. Another scenario has the team moving to Los Angeles, who lost both the Rams and Raiders in 1995.

Currently, the Saints are the oldest team in the NFL to never play in either a Super Bowl or any other NFL championship game.

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

So if the Saints move to another city does N.O. consider that good or bad news?

13. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always thought the team name had to do with the fact the "When the Saints Go Marchin' In" was a Dixieland standard, and New Orleans is home to that music.
    Meaning if they move, they would have to change their name, because it wouldn't make a connection anymore.