1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Translations?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by webdog, Oct 2, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any new Bible translations on the horizon?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I hope and pray there are.

Even in the 21st century there are far too many languages and dialects without Bibles in their languages.

I know there is a much needed and sought after TR based New Testament in Japanese in the works.

#2 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Amen, C4K! As long as there are languages without God's printed word, and as long as living languages continue to evolve, there will always be a need for new Bible translations.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: You beat me to it, Roger! Anyway, anything but a new English Bible, puleeeeeze!

With our new copyright-free TR-based Japanese NT, we're on the final draft of John and hope to print it up for evaluation and evangelism within a few months, depending on how diligent my proofreading is. We have financial backing from the States to print it, thank the Lord.

I've done rough drafts of everything but Luke and Mark, and I'm working on Luke. The committee has revised John, Romans, Matthew and almost all of Revelation. Many thanks to each on the BB who prays for this project. :type:

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We need to lift this up to God in prayer.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I definitely need prayer! There is a psychological element to translating that I never dreamed of until recently. Some of our renderings are a complete break from previous Japanese translations, so I second guess myself a lot. We have to steel ourselves to any criticism that comes and trust that we've done our best and heeded God's calling. :praying:

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm still waiting for that right balance. Some of these newer versions are trying to navigate the gender issue and are still tranlating adelphoi, the vocative, as "brothers;" I wish they would translate it "brethren," which is more gender accurate, IMO.

2. That is the problem I have with the ESV and HCSB.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother TC, if none of the multitude of English Bibles out there have the proper balance for you, you may just have to translate your own! :smilewinkgrin: :thumbs:

By the way, please enlighten me on why "brothers" and "brethren" are not exactly the same meaning separated by 100 years of use? The term "brethren" is very rare in colloquial English nowadays, though it's been used to describe the Supreme Court justices.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh brother ! Hey sisterns too !

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Hi bro. John, I must confess that when I first read this, I busted out in laughter; my wife wanted to know what was up. :laugh:

2. Nothing philological, only phonetical to the ear--"brethren" just sounds more gender inclusive to the ear. "Brothers" to my ear just sounds to maculine. Nothing too technical. :thumbs:

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Are you sure you don't really mean "Oh brethre!" ? And "Hey sestren too!"? :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Someone, currently posting on the board, really needs to get to bed!" - Signed, Language Cop

"Who asked you, LC??" Signed -

Ed

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it spelled cisterns? :D

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now to be serious--you might be already doing this, but it's a real blessing to do your own translation. Years ago when I was brushing up my Greek after being asked to teach it, I started translating a few verses every morning in devotions, and ended up with John, Phillipians and 1 John, I think it was. What a blessing it was!

Actually, though, in the 16th-17th centuries the feminine equivalent to "brethren" was "sisters." Remember the "three weird sisters" from Macbeth and from mythology?

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In fact, I'm thinking Pauline someday.

2. Yes, doing your own translating is a blessing, then you see, IMO, why some versions are the way they are and you tend to be a bit more patient.

3. Thanks for the heads-up, and as I said, nothing technical, just to the ear. :thumbs:

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just don't start with Romans, unless you want to spend 10-15 minutes per verse (after the intro). Whew! :eek: Warm up with Corinthians. :cool:

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Interesting enough, a fellow pastor and I meet every Wednesday to read Greek and we're now in Romans 2.

2. Personally, I've read Romans 4 times, and I must admit that some parts are more difficult than others, esp. Ch.7 and the opening and close of Ch.16.

3. I'm sure you're referring to 1 Corinthians, because I've found 2 Corinthians to be difficult in some places.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, well then you're quite ready to translate it! :thumbs:

Either 1st or 2nd Corinthians is easier than Romans, but you're right, 1 is easier. Probably 1st Cor. is Paul's easiest epistle (except maybe Philemon, which is a true joy to read).

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hey fellows this is all Greek to me :).

I used to know a little Greek - he owned a gyro shop in Huntsville, Alabama.

Sorry, apologies, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :)

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you knew a little Hebrew, too, who ran a bakery, right? :laugh: