1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Worship

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Psalm 150:
    Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre,
    praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute,
    praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Promoters of modern worship often appeal to these verses to justify the use of full instrumental, heavily rhythmic music in Christian worship.

My question is:

What did the church do with this Psalm before rock 'n' roll was well accepted in American culture. Was this psalm merely ignored for nearly 2 millennia, or have we been unable to obey this admonition until now?

2. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

love you in Jesus aaron but this whole idea is starting to get a bit...ugggg.

3. Jeep Brain

Jeep Brain New Member

It's proof that people celebrated the Almighty differently. Just like today.
    P.S. - NOTHING about the bible is an abomination! :mad:

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

What do you make of these verses in the Psalms?

UNP,
    Adam

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The Bible says to praise God with these things, so let's get to it.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked first. :D

7. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:

Promoters of modern worship often appeal to these verses to justify the use of full instrumental, heavily rhythmic music in Christian worship.

My question is:

What did the church do with this Psalm before rock 'n' roll was well accepted in American culture. Was this psalm merely ignored for nearly 2 millennia, or have we been unable to obey this admonition until now?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we need to draw distinctions between corporate worship and personal worship. I am all about modern worship music - it's great - but most of it is just not appropriate for corporate worship. We do serve a Holy God and our church music should show such.

So I think that the verses mentioned above apply primarily to personal worship or times
    of corporate celebration (something that has been lost in the church today).

Trevor

8. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Trevor's on to something here, folks. Give ear.......

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church interpreted this psalm spiritually just as it still interprets the levitical provisions.

Were they wrong?

10. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    The church interpreted this psalm spiritually just as it still interprets the levitical provisions.

Were they wrong?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that they interpreted it literally and correctly. The verses do not apply to corporate worship (like worship in the tabernacle) but to a time of celebration and "praising in the steets" if you will. I don't think you can use these verses to support the use of the modern worship style in corporate worship, but that doesn't mean that it negates (sp?) it either.

Trevor

11. Pioneer

Pioneer Guest

A rhythmic dance has always been associated with idolatry and immorality. The dance that is mentioned in Psalm 150 is a leap of joy not a rhythmic dance.

12. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pioneer:
    A rhythmic dance has always been associated with idolatry and immorality. The dance that is mentioned in Psalm 150 is a leap of joy not a rhythmic dance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You write as though this is common knowledge, but why should I believe you?

Trevor

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJAcorn:

I think that they interpreted it literally and correctly. The verses do not apply to corporate worship (like worship in the tabernacle) but to a time of celebration and "praising in the steets" if you will. I don't think you can use these verses to support the use of the modern worship style in corporate worship, but that doesn't mean that it negates (sp?) it either.

Trevor
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you're right. They can't be used to justify modern worship. However, what is the spiritual significance of these verses? How do I apply them to my daily life?

14. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

uhh if it's related to celebration worship and dancing in the streets, that is exactly what corperate worship is...that's not privately done. I think people worry too much about how this is done, God knows your heart and where the worship is coming from he gets what's going on which is why when I worship I do it out of love and admiration to God and who he is.

karen

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Karen,

No where in the Scriptures is the direct worship of God described as a "celebration." The meaning of "worship" actually means to offer "worth-ship."

Has the outward form of Christian worship through the millennia even remotely resembled what you describe as "celebration worship and dancing in the streets"? I mean until recently?

The answer is, of course, no. And there is nothing to suggest that in the aforementioned psalm. But my question is still, how did the church obey this admonition?"

16. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What did the church do with this Psalm before rock 'n' roll was well accepted in American culture. Was this psalm merely ignored for nearly 2 millennia, or have we been unable to obey this admonition until now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They didn't ignore it, they just reinterpreted it according to their platonic based austerity. (Just like the Song of Solomon. You can draw an analogy with Christ and the Church, but some of the erotic language would cause more problems than it solves.) We are supposed to be so against Catholicism, yet we keep talking about "The Church through the last 2 millennia" even though that was mostly Catholic, and even the early reformers were closer to Catholicism that the the Church today. We need to let go of this romanticism with the church of the 3rd-19th century and its pleasure hating ascetic mentality.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eric,

Are you saying they knew what it really meant, but were so uptight they lied about it?

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who could not read it and not see its clear meaning. But since sex even in marriage was viewed as dirty to those churches back then, and of course that style of music would lead to it, they had to change the meanings to a more "holy" non-fleshy context.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll take that as "Yes, the early church new what it really meant but simply lied about it."

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Aaron ]

20. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like the early church didn't do a lot of wrong things. (How do you think we ended up with Catholicism after a couple of centuries?) Even in the first century, you see these teacings creeping in, and the apostles were there to confront them. After they were gone, they became widespread.