1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Newt in '08 - I Really Don't Think So

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 22, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Just like Mr. Clinton, Mr. Gingrich views women as little more than sex objects who are discarded like an empty Coke bottle when they fail to satisfy his near-limitless appetite. During his early congressional career, Newt was widely rumored to prey on his female staff members. He divorced his first wife while she was battling cancer. In fact, he urged her to sign the divorce papers while she was still in a hospital bed. After he left Congress, he announced his divorce to his second wife right after she had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. He left her for a congressional aide who is 23 years younger."

- www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/KuhnerGingrich.htm

#1 KenH, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

We are voting for a POTUS not a pastor.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a matter of Newt's religious beliefs. It's a matter of his morals. There are people of various kinds of religions - or even no religion - that have better morals than Newt.

I guess it just comes down to trust and I don't trust him.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

:applause: :applause: :laugh: :laugh:

I still like Newt. I just wish he had a chance to win.

Thanks for the laugh.

5. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

There is maybe one man more likely to get my vote in the primary. Of course, it is still very early in the process... but I like the things Newt believes when it comes to government. Not sure I would want him around my girlfriend, but that isn't what we're voting for.

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Ken,

So it's ok to not vote for someone because you don't trust them? How about if you don't trust them, because of the decisions they have made in their life? Is that still ok, to not vote for them for that reason?

Jamie

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone can vote for someone or not vote for someone for any reason he/she wishes. :)

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Thanks for that clarfication. For a moment there, I thought you were getting mad at some of us because we won't or can't vote for Romeny because he is a Morman.

Thanks for allowing us to vote how we see fit. :)

:laugh:

Jamie

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, not me. :)

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

A person's married life can tell you a lot about them.

To me, Newt demonstrates a lack of character in his deeds.

Could this affect his governance as President? Would it? I don't know, but it is pretty indicative of the kind of person he is away from the cameras.

Giuliani is the same way.

Why would we expect someone to honor their vow to America and the Constitution if they won't even honor vows to their spouse taken before God?

I'm not saying I wouldn't vote for him or someone else with a similar background, but it does make me very, very hesitant about trusting that person's word.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I am concerned Newt, McCain, Giuliani, and Romney are all non-starters. The Republican party is going to have to do much better than that before they get my vote. So far the Democrats have a good field. Hillary Clinton, Barak Obama, and Jonathan Edwards are going to prove to be very strong candidates. In fact I predict, right now, that one of those three will be the next President of the United States. While I would never vote for Obama or Clinton both, apart or together, would prove to be very difficult (if not impossible) for the Republicans to defeat. As for Edwards, well if a Tarheel is on the top of the ticket...

At this point, thanks to President Bush and the Republican congress, the Republicans don't have a prayer in '08.

Alan Keyes for President!!!

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how many times have people much such a prediction - in politics and sports - only to be proven wrong by reality? A number beyond the ability of any historian to count. :)

There expect that there will be some folks on the extreme religious right who will be disappointed by the two major parties' nominees in 2008. Fortunately for such folks there is the Constitution Party - if it hasn't totally torn itself apart over the abortion issue by 2008.

13. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Newt ticked off a lot of people some years ago when he suggested that poor children be taken away from their families and be placed in orphanages. My parents were dirt poor during the Great Depression. They were outraged at what he said. Dad shouted, "Boot the Newt!" No, I definitely would not vote for Newt. Word that he sleeps around is only one more reason why I wouldn't vote for him. :mad:

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was trying to recall if that is exactaly what Newt said, or was a sentence just taken out of contex. Cany anybody find a link for his speech regarding this.

But even if that was the case, is a young (sometimes 16 0r 17) single mother the best enviorment for a child? That are countless instances where this is going on generation after generation.

Bottom line, it is NOT the goverments job to give away money to poor people, or anyone for that matter. It is the Duty of the church to help those in need. The problem is those who are greedy.

Now if a church is to help a family, then seculars will complain that we are trying to convert them. So what. I once had a Mormon help me out of a jam. He gave me a Book of Mormon. Fine, I accepted it with grace, and I appreciated his help.

There is just tooo much goverment regulation, even in helping others. (and not just the poor)

I would say New might be the man we need. GOVERMENT SPENDING MUST DECREASE GREATLY.

sALTY

15. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

It seems to me like someone would have difficulty in supporting Newt if they condemned Bill Clinton during his presidency. Of course, I'm a democrat and wouldn't vote for Newt anyway.

16. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Newt Gingrich made that statement in 1994:
    http://www.gsm.uci.edu/~mckenzie/rethink/mck97-ch6.htm

I'm not worried, though. My Persian cat has a better chance of being elected president than Newt does. :laugh:

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==If I am wrong I will be as happy as a peach in Georgia (I am a Republican after all). However I think the writing is on the wall (unless something changes).

==The abortion issue is just one issue. I agree with Rick Warren that we must move beyond that one issue. However I don't think I can vote for someone who is strongly pro-abortion. I like the platform of the CP, however I don't think they are on the NC ticket. In '04 it was only Bush/Kerry and in '00 it was Bush/Gore and I think one more (not sure who but it was not CP).

18. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Was it Limbaugh or Hannity who talked about character back in the Clinton/Lewinsky affair? I cannot remember. As I was a Dittohead back then, I am inclined to believe it was El Rushbo.

Either way, I wonder if it character will be discussed when the talk focuses on Newt Gingrich. IMO, he's just a bad guy all around, and I had a VERY low opinion of him back in my right-wing days (before my epiphany). But that is my opinion, and I have qualified it as such.......

Regards to you - hope you are feeling better,
    BiR

19. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I too am becoming disillusioned with Rush, but not to the point of an epiphany. His sexual bent is really wearing on me. His kiss on the mouth of that '24' starlet about did me in.

Newt is the only candidate with enough intelligence and understanding, and who supports my views on pertinent issues. I question the truthfulness of the attacks on him. Time will tell, but I hope to be able to support him.

20. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

My own personal epiphany had nothing to do with Rush, it simply allowed me to see him for who he is and what he does.

Again, I am of the opinion that he is a bad guy all around. If you can show me otherwise, then by all means show me. But actions speak louder than words, and what Newt has done speaks louder than his latest book.....

Regards,
    BiR