1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFC/AFC Championship Picks

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Baptist Bible Believer

Bears over the Saints! (unless the NFL has already decreed that the Saints are the Cinderella team and turn the refs into the blind mice) - and whatever AFC team wins - ok.

It is either going to be an I-294 series or a rematch of Superbowl XX.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Putting Sonny as a pioneer was probably a misstatement. Although, it can be argued that when it comes to the modern passing game, the 60's is when it began to take shape. So maybe 'pioneer' isn't too far off.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

How do you figure this? You do realize that I-294 does not connect Indy and Chicago, right?

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Just giving you a hard time, that is what old folks can do well on things years ago, we saw so much of it. Look at the football back then, it was fatter, harder to pass. Keep in mind, for most folks, the best in sports were when they started watching. Like for me Sammy Baugh is the greatest that I've ever seen. An all pro qb, db and punter. One had to be a well rounded player to play. Also up till the mid to late 60's most qb called all the plays.

Also look at how many years it took old number 19 to break Sammy Baugh's records. Sammy was the one who started putting the ball in the air big time.

Sammy's greatest season was 1943, when he became the only player ever to lead the NFL in passing, punting, and interceptions. Baugh was an All-Pro in 1937, 1940, 1943, 1945, 1947, and 1947. When he called it quits after the 1952 season, he held most of the NFL's passing records. His punting average of 51.4 yards a kick in 1940 and his passing completion mark of 70.3 percent in 1945 are still records.

#44 Bob Alkire, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  5. Baptist Bible Believer

Sure! But "if" I were going to go to the game (which I won't be) I would take 294 at the start. It isn't quite the same as the Cubs vs. Cardinals (and the I-55) link.

Actually, I am hoping for the rematch!

(and the same results!)

6. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both of my picks came through but the Colts had me nervous until the end. I am now pulling for the Colts. It's hard to believe that I am actually pulling for a team from Hoosierville...

What a great game in the AFC. Lets hope the SB is at least half as entertaining. My early prediction is:

Colts 27
    Bears 17

I would assume that the Colts will be a strong favorite; perhaps a 6 or 7 point favorite...

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was a great game! I didn't think Indy had a chance after taking that early deficit. The offense looked out of sync, and I thought it was going to be another "Peyton" playoff game. I'm glad to see our brother in Christ Dungy have a chance to go to the SB. I'm pulling for them all the way. I remember Dungy saying if he won the SB last year, he would retire to go into the ministry full time. What a great thing it would be to win the SB and then go on to be a pastor. Imagine the influence!

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

++++++++

Ed

#48 EdSutton, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Surprised no one mentioned Norm (the Dutchman) Van Brocklin, George Blanda or Bobby Layne, Charlie Conerly, Fran Tarkenton, Arnie Herber, or Y. A. Tittle as great QBs. (Did anyone mention "Broadway" Joe Namath?) Especially when Layne was also the team punter and place kicker, as was Blanda the kicker, and whose record for points scored lasted many years, as dd some of his passing marks, as well. Dutch still holds the record for more than 550 passing yards in a single game, and that offense featured the great Steve van Buren as FB for years, as well. The overall game has changed, and perhaps some of the old greats do not get the repect they really deserve. Even with the changes, when one factors in the AAFC, Otto Graham's QB rating (He still has the highest per pass average in NFL history at 8.63 yd for his NFL career.) is still one to be reckoned with, (Tittle's would be improved, as well) and I would guess Graham would still easily be in the top twenty, if not in the the top ten. It is hard to compare eras and things like the "West Coast" offenses, and different rules designed to protect the modern day QB from injuries by ever increasing sizes and mobility of the defense. How about Dan Fouts? Cecil Isbell? And don't forget, most of the above did most all their own play calling 'on the fly', and after a few 'head conks' as well, as opposed to having the 'sidelines' call them, as is usually the case, today.

The only thing one can really say is that being a great passer, alone, does not necessarily equal the best team leader as the QB.

BTW, congrats to the Bears and their much-maligned QB and the Colts and their maligned QB, as well, on winning the NFC and AFC championships.

Ed

#49 EdSutton, Jan 21, 2007
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh- isn't the Superbowl this year in someplace other than Chicago or Indianapolis?? I thought it was in New Orleans. Oh yeah. Take I-57 to Sikeston, then I-55. It'll save miles and time.

Ed

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

What a great day of football. :thumbsup:

Before the game, I thought the Saints were the perfect team for Rex to play because they didn't have the speed in the secondary to keep up with Berrian, and Rex throws the deep ball very well. I was also tempted last Friday to make a post about how happy I was that everybody, including every ESPN football "genius", picked the Saints to win. But, I didn't want to tempt sports karma. As the lead grew to 16-0, it was good times here. When Busch scored that touchdown, it was nervous time. And, while the safety was a big play because it put points on the board, I thought the missed field goal was the turning point of the game.

The Bears kept going 3 and out, and I yelled at the TV that they should run the ball more, but it was more out of frustration, because I didn't have a real big problem taking shots down the field. I was more worried that Drew Brees would put the Bears in a position where they'd have to come from behind, and I didn't have confidence that Grossman could lead them from behind. The Saints were pretty much daring Grossman to beat him, so Ron Turner made some great calls to pick on the Saints corner with Berrian, and Grossman made some great throws. Instead of the deep ball, Grossman picked them apart mid-range and opened up the floodgates.

I don't remember if there are any Colts fans that post here, but if I was nervous leading 16-14, I don't know how you guys survived watching that game. Wow, what a game.

But, the Colts really, really impressed me with that win. They didn't lose their poise once they got down 21-3, and I think it points out the maturity of the team. In past years, especially against the Pats, the Colts would, and did, fold up their tents. They didn't today.

I like Peyton Manning and I'm happy for him. I'm not sure I like him playing against my team. After the game, Peyton talked about how he doesn't play the "vindication card", but if you saw him once Brady threw that last pick, you know he has to feel a little bit vindicated.

I think the losing teams showed a lot of class today. I especially liked Bruschi, and I'm sure there were others, going up to Manning and congratulating him after the game. I knew the Patriots had a lot of good character guys on the team and they showed it after losing a very tough game. I guess it's Brady's turn to watch the Super Bowl and root for Peyton Manning. :smilewinkgrin:

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Two out of three ain't bad. The percentage mark is actually held by Ken Anderson (1982) at 70.56 percent. "Slingin" Sammy is second, however at the 70.33 mark, as you indicated, and Steve Young (1994) is third at 70.28.

The career completion percentage mark belongs to (or did prior to this year, and now I don't know) Kurt Warner, interestingly enough, at 66.7, followed by Young and Joe Montana.

Ed

#52 EdSutton, Jan 21, 2007
  13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

It sure was. I was so happy to see the Bears win and get past all the Saint hype. The Bears played really well, and I think if they can play like that in Miami they have a good shot of coming away with the title.

I was glad to see the Colts win too and for Peyton to get that monkey off his back. If the Bears were not in it, they would be the team I would want to win it all.

Should be a great Superbowl!

14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

CC

Great post - I agree totally.

I'm really looking forward to the superbowl this year - two great stories, will Peyton win it all (I think the needs to if we wants to get the cant win the big one off his back for all time) Can the bears defense overcome thier own qb! The Bears D did it against the saints, who I really thought were the team of destiny in this playoff. My personal opinion is that the Saints are better offensivly and defensively than the colts, but the colts D has risen to the challenge so who knows. I think this superbowl is a real toss up, I have no idea who will win!

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    of all the angles for the super bowl, I know the media will talk about 2 black head coaches meeting and that it important, but both Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are committed believers who live out their committment on and off the field.

16. Baptist Bible Believer

As difficult as it is for me to admit defeat- you got me on both counts! :sleep:

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The colts "O" against the bears "D" should be really fun to watch.

18. Baptist Bible Believer

Actually, (not bein' picky or anything) it's in Miami :wavey:

19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

What's interesting about this matchup is they are two teams who played great the first half of the season and then struggled the second half. Neither one of them seemed to have any momentum going into the playoffs, which goes againist conventional wisdom of who usually does well in the postseason.

I'm just glad the Pats are out. If they would have made it, I'm not sure I would have watched the SB this year.

I think it's great that two Christians are the head coaches in this year's SB. Did anyone see the Colts owner and then Dungy give glory to the Lord when they began their speeches? Really nice.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree 100% with your previous post, Andy.

Lots of people say Peyton can't win big games. ESPN's "Top 5 Reasons...." on Peyton debunked that bromide. I'm hoping that in two weeks he adds one more big game to his legacy.