1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NLT study bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jun85, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Jun85

Jun85 New Member

Hi there
    I am currently a university student and am thinking about looking for a NLT study bible to complement my NKJV. I dont know whether the Student bibles would be good because they are mainly focused towards jr high/high school students so. I am in my latter yrs of university. If anyone could recommend/suggest a NLT study bible I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone could comment on the translation itself, that would be awesome. I know its not supposed to be word for word and that it helps with understanding easier, but does it convey the message correctly?

Thank you!

#1 Jun85, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007
  2. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm I correct in assuming that you now have a NKJV "Study Bible", such as the one published by Nelson?

OK, I have a collection of Study Bibles, in total I have about 15 of them in various translations and versions. The only one that I have in NLT is the Life Application Study Bible, mine has the NLT in the first edition of the translation. So there are two issues, 1. what do I think about the NLT and 2. What do I think of the notes and helps in the Life Application Study Bible.

#1 My opinion of the NLT is that it is an improvement over the orig Living Bible. To me though, it still reads like a paraphrase. Over all I think it is a good contrasting text for you to use with the NKJV, especally for recreational reading. For serious study, you will need the NKJV.

#2 My opinion of the Life Application Bible. This Bible is different from most of my other study Bibles in that it attempts to give you practical advice from the scriptures on how to live a Christian life. There are some neat biographies of major persons right in the text and lots of other usefull information. This is in contrast to a Ryrie Study Bible which is heavy into theology.

Overall, I really like the Life Application Bible in the NLT. I bought mine used but in very good condition off of ebay for less than $12.00 including shipping.

Another option you may consider is the NIV Study Bible. The study notes are more theology than devotional like the Life Application but the NIV is a good contrasting version to the NKJV and you can get really good buys on ebay on the NIV Study Bible.

Hope this helps. By the way, do you have a commentary? If so, which one?

Tom

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like the NLT, it's my favorite dynamic equivalence translation. The only NLT study Bibles I can think of is the new Discovering God study Bible and the Life Application study Bible. I'm not crazy about the Life Application, but am considering purchasing the Discovering God one.

Since you are in school, I would suggest www.esword.com too. Great tool to have!

You can get free translations, commentaries, online books, devotionals, maps, dictionaries...all FREE. I have about 30 translations, 20 commentaries, dictionaries...the works.

4. Jun85

Jun85 New Member

Well currently I have a NIV Life Application study bible, but mainly I use a Nelson NKJV Reference Bible. I dont really like the NIV Life application study bible that much. Im looking for a NLT version which has notes on the side of the pages. I was looking at the Student Life Application Study Bible. Is that too basic for my age since im in my early 20s or is having a student bible like the 1 i just mentioned above still be applicable and useful?

5. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you buy an NLT, get the 2004 edition rather than the 1996. There are some minor changes but they have clarified a few things. I still see 1996 editions for sale sometimes.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The NLT is a paraphrase and not a translation. That does'nt mean it's no good, just keep in mind it is a paraphrase. The HCSB is supposed to be more accurate then the NIV and a better read.
    My sister has a Life Appliication Study Bible and loves it. The NIV Study Bible has a very good reputation and the HCSB is comming out in an apologetic study Bible that some are excited about. I don't know where you are in your Christian walk or where you lean theologically. One way of telling whether the NLT Study Bible will suit your purposes is to look at the contributing authors and see if any of your favorites are in there.:godisgood:

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB : For you to say that the NLTse is not a translation is absurd ! Of course it's a translation . It may surprise you to know that it uses so-called formal equivalence a good deal also . Of course it employs functional equivalence ( formerly known as dynamic equivalence ) for the most part , and it has sound reasons for doing so .

Some of the translators are Daniel Block , Trempor Longman III , Richard Platt , Raymond Ortland Jr. , William VanGemeren , Grant Osborne , Darrell Bock , Robert Stein , D.A. Carson , Douglas Moo , Thomas Schreiner , Moises Silva , Robert Mounce . These are heavyweight conservative Bible scholars . Are you familiart with any of them ? There were many more on the team , these are just some of the ones I know and appreciate .

8. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the translators are listed in the introduction of all the NLT editions. You're right: good conservative scholars and a fine functional translation.

9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

That's www.e-sword.net

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're right...thanks. :)

11. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I second (or maybe its third or fourth :thumbs: ) the vote for the Life Application Study Bible NLT. I have one that I keep beside my bed to read before I go to sleep every night. I like the Life Application format so much that I bought one in the NASB translation (which is my favorite) to carry to church. The study notes are awesome. :type: