1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No sinner's prayer--No salvation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Feb 20, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

YEP!

Ed

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revmitchell, I'm sure you will agree that (1) we have to interpret Scripture with Scripture, and (2) we don't believe in salvation through works.

Therefore, in the light of Eph. 2:8-9 and many other Scriptures, this passage cannot mean that verbal confession or prayer is necessary for salvation. Those things are works.

I once was called on the carpet by the dean of the Bible school where I taught in Tokyo. The dean, a good friend and a good man with an M. Div. from a reputable seminary, objected that I had taught in my "Personal Evangelism" class that a prayer was not necessary for salvation. When I reminded him that prayer was a work, the best he could come up with was, "Well if it is for salvation, a prayer is not a work." He was somewhat sheepish at how weak a sally this was when I pressed him, and I never heard any more about it! :D

3. standingfirminChrist

Salvation is not a result of works, but works are a result of Salvation

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

John, you are the first one--Dr. Rice, that is- who places Rom 10:13 in context. That is, One cannot call on the name of the Lord until they are saved. Well, there goes 10:13 as a proof text for the sinner's prayer.

Dr. Rice also said

Amen, John.

I wonder if we Baptists realize how perilously close we are getting to the Positive Confession movement with the misuse and abuse of the sinner's prayer. We've heard so much about the "power" of prayer, that we're taking it to its logical conclusion. Just saying the words unleashes the power. Naw, prayer has no power. God has the power.

Tom B

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, Tom. I've used the Romans Road many, many times both in English and my own revised version for the Japanese. But I always, ALWAYS, ask questions afterwards to find out if they have a true belief from the heart. Since we are dealing with the eternal souls of God's created people, who will spend eternity in Hell if they get it wrong, why can't we spend just a few more seconds to show true compassion for their souls, and not just trust in that prayer they said?

On occasion I've gotten back the answer, "No, I just prayed that because you told me to," and then I deal further with the person and make sure they truly understand the Gospel.

John R. Rice was one soul-winner who normally did not even have the prospect say a "sinner's prayer." After giving the Gospel (usually from Isaiah 53 or John 3) he would then say, "May I pray with you?" After he prayed, with heads still bowed, he would say, "If you are now trusting Christ as Savior, why don't you just take my hand as a sign of that." When the person took his hand he would say, "Why don't you pray now and tell the Lord 'Thank you' for saving you?" He would then try to have the person tell someone else (relative, friend, church member) that they were saved, thus leading them in the "confess with thy mouth" part. Of course he didn't believe that the confession saved them, but thought it was important for the new believer to witness of his faith.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, standingfirminChrist. [​IMG]

7. standingfirminChrist

Too many rely on how faithful they are in attendance on Sunday, how much they give, or how much they please the pastor.

All these are good practices, but if one has not acknowledged in one's heart his propensity to sin and his need for a Savior, those practices are nothing but dead works.

One must place one's faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repenting of dead works and allowing Christ to be the focus. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith. He is the only one who can carry us through the many trials that we go through on a daily basis. And why is Christ able to do this? Because He has been through the trials Himself during His walk on this earth and more.

Casting all your cares on Him, for He careth for you.