1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non Alcoholic Beer

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by csmith, Mar 23, 2005.

1. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

My father in law told me about one of the first non-alcoholic beers, called Near Beer.

He said that whoever named it was a might poor judge of distance.

I have never tasted the NA beers, but I don't really see the point to them.

Although, come to think of it, I HAVE tasted sparkling grape juice and it was pretty good.

MR

2. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Personally, I never found a NA beer that could replace that ice cold Bud after mowing the lawn on one of those 90+ degree days. Considering the alternative brews, I now just enjoy the iced tea. Now if I can just get rid of those caffiene withdrawals.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Alcohol as it is presented in beer, wine, etc is a poison. Ever heard of "alcohol poisoning"?

"Can a man take fire into his bosom and not get burned?"

Rat poison is 95% good food and 5% poison. It STILL kills the rat.

Now...why on earth would anybody (saved or not) take poison into their system for fun?

Because they like the EFFECT it gives them. I submit, that it is not wise for ANY Christian to do such a thing.

(Ducking)

[​IMG]
    In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Water intoxication or "Water poisoning" is also a medical condition.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Gold;
    You are correct. One may consume so much water that it could be fatal. I suppose one COULD consume so much soda pop that they "pop"!
    Water by nature is NOT poison. Alcohol IS. Hence my observations and suggestions.
    In HIS service;
    Jim

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Alcohol, like water, when consumed to intoxicating levels, is a poison.

The reason being that our body can naturally metabolize alcohol. However, when the level of alcohol in our blood exceeds the amount our metabolism can handle, it becomes a toxin.

Our body also can naturally get rid of excess water through our kidneys and bladder. However, when the level of water exceeds the amount our body can handle, it becomes a toxin.

That level is obviously much higher for water than alcohol.

Another key difference is that alcohol has psychoactive effects at non-intoxicating levels. These psychoactive effects are also commonly referred to as "intoxication" even though they may or may not be related to anything medically toxic or poisonous.

7. natters

natters New Member

That's basically the same argument my Mormon gave me for why he doesn't drink coffee. [​IMG]

8. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

In the Ukraine, I drank some 'kvas'--non alcoholic beverage made from fermented something (i forget).

It tasted wretched. Just like cough syrup. :eek: :rolleyes:

9. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

But your mormon friend is wrong. My barber said that he had heard of a study showing that three cups of coffee a day is actually good for you. And, you know that your barber is always right. [​IMG]

10. natters

natters New Member

My barber said a glass of red wine now and then is good for you. ;) Even better for you than doughnuts and cheeseburgers. [​IMG]

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think there is much we can eat or drink if we avoid anything that can be toxic with overconsumption.

Even with things that are possibly toxic at common consumption levels, there would be so many things we need to remove from our diet. Most preservatives and food colourings. Artificial sweeteners. Anything grown with chemical fertilizers or hormones. Milk in the US which is from cows injected with Bovine Growth Hormone. Practically every prescription drug and many over the counter drugs.

Organics and naturopathic medicine would become booming industries if we took avoiding toxicity seriously.

[ March 24, 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Gold Dragon ]

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This topic seems quite silly, but it's noticeable the reasoning employed by some is also prevalent in other issues. Many parents do not let their children have "war toys;" some even strictly forbid waterguns or pretending to have guns by holding up the thumb and index finger. Some Christians, usually of the extreme fundamentalist persuasion, have proposed abolishing all sports, because performing and sacrificing for the "common good" of the team resembles communism. And I had a great aunt with some kind of hangup about vinegar. My dad told the story of how she sent someone to do her shopping, mentioning some typs of recipes she planned to prepare, and whoever that was bought a bottle of vinegar, and the aunt saw it and immediately poured it all out. I can only speculate that vinegar being soured wine had something to do with it.

The appearance of evil can get rather nutty. I have not seen, but I can well imagine, that there are vegetarians who refuse to eat tofu because if looks too much like meat, or that if bacon were made out of kosher meat, but still looks like pork bacon, that devout Jews still would have nothing to do with it.

13. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I didn't think anything could be better than cheeseburgers and donuts. Oh, that's right. You said better for you. I hope my barber never says anthing bad about cheeseburgers and donuts. [​IMG]

14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

So, when we get to Heaven, are you going to go up to the Apostle Paul and tell him that he was wrong in his advice to Timothy?

15. Baptist in Richmond

That is why I ONLY consume Ben & Jerry's ice cream: they make their suppliers sign agreements that they will not use BGH in their cows.

Well, that is one of the reasons anyway.....
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    BiR

16. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

But water doesn't come in a bottle that looks like Vodka! Lets keep it real here. People will find any excuse to justify drinking, but when a Christian does it it (to me) is foul and dirty. Lets stick to Bible truths. The Bible tells us it is wrong, is that not enough for you? Or are you one of those who will take a verse and twist it until it conforms to what you want it to say. I take the word of God at face value. He says what He means and it is not always philisophical. "And God said let there be light" so that was the start of Con Edison. Oh God created a flash light. Maybe He created a Bic lighter! No, God created Light. So if we were to think like you saying water looks like vodka, then apple juice looks like beer and grape juice like wine and Cola like Rum and so on and so forth. We will all be dehydrated and there would be a bunch of drunkin toddlers running around. God preaches aginst alcohol. End of story and excuses.

17. Baptist in Richmond

Please show us where it says that moderate consumption of alcohol is wrong.

18. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Biblemama needs to do some word-search in the Bible.
    If you search "wine" you will see that the tithe was to be used to buy wine "or other fermented drink" and party on if it was too far to deliver the tithe.

God expressly gave permission to drink, specifically to Nazirites who had fulfilled their vow.

I could give the verses but I think in this case someone should actually read what the Bible says for herself instead of what telling us what she believes it says.

She is WRONG.

MR

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Alcohol, like water, when consumed to intoxicating levels, is a poison.

The reason being that our body can naturally metabolize alcohol. However, when the level of alcohol in our blood exceeds the amount our metabolism can handle, it becomes a toxin.

Our body also can naturally get rid of excess water through our kidneys and bladder. However, when the level of water exceeds the amount our body can handle, it becomes a toxin.

That level is obviously much higher for water than alcohol.

Another key difference is that alcohol has psychoactive effects at non-intoxicating levels. These psychoactive effects are also commonly referred to as "intoxication" even though they may or may not be related to anything medically toxic or poisonous.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You need to do a little bit more research on the NATURE of alcohol. Even in microscopic amounts it kills brains cells, liver cells, kidney cells, stomach lining cells, esophegeal (sp) cells, (throat), and every other cell it comes into contact with. As the body "metabolizes" it, in actuality the body is defending itself from the poison.

No way can you justify that!

"Jesus drank wine!" No He did not. Give a proof verse. "Well Jesus made wine. Yes. He also made marijuana. And your point would be???

Paul told Timothy to use wine for his stomach. Yes he did. In those days it was thought of as medicine. So is oil. Do you put oil on a cut these days?

"To him that knows to do right and does it not, to him it is sin." That's in the book of James, BTW.

Justify it's use all day long. One day God will say, "Since you knew alcohol was dangerous to your body, why did you use it?"

In HIS service;
    Jim

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

So, when we get to Heaven, are you going to go up to the Apostle Paul and tell him that he was wrong in his advice to Timothy? </font>[/QUOTE]Nope! I will be too busy praising God for His mercy upon this poor man!! Besides that you totally glossed over my point. Read my quote again. I said it is not wise to take poison into your body for fun. Some medications ARE poison, but used properply for the TREATMENT of disease they are beneficial. Rightly divide the truth here folks.

In HIS service;
    Jim