1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non Alcoholic Beer

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by csmith, Mar 23, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

All my links are from Wikipedia

Which is exactly where I got the referenced link. [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

"And one could wonder whether the temporary effects are really desireable -- even if pleasurable -- and whether the brain really escapes permanent harm. Because ethanol enters tissues in proportion to water content it is far more prevalent in the brain than in muscle or fat. For those who highly value their brains/minds this should be a matter of great concern. "

I guess you "pro alcohol" folks don't value their brains/minds.

Okey-dokey. Ya got me convinced that this "boozer-christianity" is the way to go.
    :rolleyes:

I'll not be responding anymore to this thread. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. (Even against empirical evidence)

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure, you got the link from Wikipedia which I quoted. The information itself is from a different source that I didn't reference.

Even in reading that article, it refers to ethanol reacting to form fatty acid ethyl esters which when investigating in PubMed, appears to be an indication of chronic alcohol abuse, something none of us have supported.

As others have mentioned to you repeatedly, we admit that alcohol is toxic in certain concentrations at the cellular level like many food additives, prescription drugs and common solutes like salt and sugar.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you arguing with God when Paul writes 1 Timothy 5:23 under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit? Do you not believe God? Do you not believe the Holy Spirit? Do you not believe in a Holy Spirit? Do you not believe God's Word or do you believe man first?

5. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

OK. If Bro. Jim is out, let me wade back in. [​IMG]

If you are a 'drinking baptist' are there places you do not drink? Does your church have activities where beer or wine is served? Does your church care if you drink? I enjoy playing in an annual golf tournament sponsored by my Lutheran brothers. After the tournament, there is a steak dinner and beer is served. I refrain from drinking, not because of personal convictions, but because my church does not condone drinking.

6. natters

natters New Member

Yes. There are also places where I don't have sex. [​IMG]

No.

No.

7. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Yes. There are also places where I don't have sex. [​IMG]

No.

No.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Golly, Natters, where did the sex come from? Are you saying you only drink in places where you would have sex? I do not see the connection. Personally, I do not care where, when, or how much you drink. I was a member of a Baptist church where they benefitted from a split of the local Lutheran church. They quickly took the consumption of alcoholic beverages out of their constitution and gained approximately 50 members. Forget about the beer, I think you should ease up on the caffeine. [​IMG]

8. natters

natters New Member

From earlier in the thread, where we were saying that drinking, like sex, money, power, eating, is not intrinsically wrong, but only wrong when used improperly. My comment here was to point out the fact (before anyone jumped on me for answering "yes") that just because I don't drink in certain places, that does not make drinking wrong, nor am I hypocritical or hiding something because I will have a glass of wine at home, but not during Sunday School.

I probably should. I should ease up on the french fries too. [​IMG]

9. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

From earlier in the thread, where we were saying that drinking, like sex, money, power, eating, is not intrinsically wrong, but only wrong when used improperly. My comment here was to point out the fact (before anyone jumped on me for answering "yes") that just because I don't drink in certain places, that does not make drinking wrong, nor am I hypocritical or hiding something because I will have a glass of wine at home, but not during Sunday School.

I probably should. I should ease up on the french fries too. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am an onion rings man myself, but I cannot eat any of that stuff anymore. I really enjoy fellowshipping with my LCMS brethern, and I would be the last to tell them that their drinking is wrong. I know that they are going to share the same home in eternity that I do. Of course, some of my IFB brethern think me fellowshipping with them is heresy. When I look back on my drinking days, I know that abstinence is the best for me. I wasn't addicted, but did do some strange things under the influence. I guess those of us that have been in the same boat probably see it as the best way in our Christian walk.

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Jim,

Why did you duck my questions?

I'll tell you why. Because every single person who condemns alcohol is also eating food filled with additives, preservatives, antibiotics, growth hormones, etc.

To be consistent, we should eat only organically grown fruits, vegetables, and meat. That means no artificial man-made food of any kind. We would all be healthier. We could also enjoy a glass of wine for our hearts!

Jim ducked out because he knows he doesn't eat this way making his whole arguement about alcohol being a poison hypocritical.

11. flourgirl

flourgirl New Member

Isn't there a verse in the Bible that says something about a little wine for the stomach's sake???

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

1 Timothy 5:23

13. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

To make sure that weaker brethren don't think that I am a glutton, I am going to stop eating.

14. yabba

yabba New Member

I was in a church in Gibraltar on a mission trip in college. The service was an awesome God centered Bible teaching service. After the service there was a fellowship in the fellowship hall and low and behold to my south Georgia conservative Baptist eyes was beer. Not only was there beer served but there was beer in the vending machine they had also.
    My sister, a few years earlier, was in Germany on a mission trip. They sat down in one of the host homes for dinner and guess what...wine. What did they do? Drink it what else, it was the culture, no stumbling block to be worried about.
    Why is it that we think a cultural issue, pretty much(not entirely) locked into the USA, is a Biblical doctrine? Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

15. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Well, as long as you do it to the glory of God. ;)

16. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I especially enjoyed the pre-lent season (fausching - sp?) the three years I spent in Germany. I was told, but never investigated if it was true, that a divorce would not be granted on the grounds of adultery if the offense occurred during fausching (again the sp?).

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Drinking beer, liquor or wine is not a sin. How in the world could NA Beer be. Christian faith, ituttut

18. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

I Thessalonians 5:22
    Abstain from ALL appearance of evil.

bold and italics added for emphasis

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So never eat ice cream where anyone can see you, or you might appear to be a glutton.

20. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

But where do we say "this looks evil" and yet something else doesn't? To someone, everything looks evil. Going to a Christian church looks evil to a Muslim, should we not go to Christian churches?