1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NT Wright

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does not view the law/grace issue though as paul has in his theology of justification, as it seems that he gives more weight to obeying the law, and being a covenant people with God then the Bible teaches, as he seems to hold more to what Judaism of the time did then what paul had to say about it!

And pauline justification is THE key to understanding the gospel of christ , correct?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rxcept that what we call pauliner justification as the reformers held to WAS what the bible was teaching to us through the Apostles, as his appeal is not to what the bible teaches per say, but what Judaism did of that time!

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't think I agree with anything in this post.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And he is just flat out wrong.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What world does he have an ear of? He may be know by some around the world but the average person Christian or otherwise has no idea who he is.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: That wasn't actually the point I was making, but OK. I actually think that he has a good point in that we do look at Scripture, if we are not careful, through lenses and worldviews that were foreign to the biblical authors.

7. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I sure hope GreekTim did not persuade me into a bear trap and paying $17 for a book of his.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

He didn't.

9. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The world as in various groups of people, from atheists to conservative evangelicals. He has a wide audience.

10. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Perhaps I will like it as it has no NPP teachings.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

And it is only the most remote possibility that YOU could be flat out wrong?

13. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hubris much?

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes of course it must take a huge amount of Hubris to disagree with the infallable NT Wright. :rolleyes:

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With regards to the NPP he is far more specific than that.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet he still describes his take on the NPP as a whole as potentially (actually probably) flawed, seeking to "open dialogue," that Paul had a worldview closer to Judaism than Luther,etc. I am not advocating Wright's position...not really discounting it either...

My point was that the NPP does not claim that the Church has misunderstood pauline Justification for the past 2000 years.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you and I have read NT Wright much differently. I can also tell you it is being taught in Christian colleges much differently.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we have read Wright differently...in regards to this issue, I guess I allowed his comments regarding the NPP - that it is not "new" but the view originally held by the Church, and his questioning viewing the doctrine through a Reformation lens rather than a first century lens - to indicate that he does not believe the NPP to be a new perspective, but a view earlier than the contemporary view often held.

Anyway, often things are taught in colleges are not representative of the original intent...so I'll take your word for it.

19. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Take a lesson from the Bereans of which the Apostle said they were "more noble" as they did exactly what you call silly! They did not take the word of another man - not even an apostle but DIRECTLY searched the scriptures for themselves. You call that "silly" while Paul calls it "more noble."

There are gifted teachers, but they are NEVER to replace THE TEACHER - the Holy Spirit that DIRECTLY and PERSONALLY teaches the believer (1 Jn. 2:29) as only the Holy Spirit is capable of teaching anyone, as he alone can open the understanding and heart. Nothing replaces personal direct study of the Scriptures as the scriptures alone are the final authority to determine whether the BEST OF TEACHERS are right or wrong - Isaiah 8:20. Isaiah 8:20 tells you that the scriptures are final authority not some teacher.

20. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put the conversation in context, maje. The studying of Scripture is not silly. But then neither is reading others who have diligently studied Scripture. My point is that it is silly to think that you are not doing the same thing when you read Scripture... you are just adding your own opinion to the plethora of opinions out there. Why is your own opinion more valid than a scholar who is trained and well studied in the field?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.