1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O.K. Now that you have this fine education,

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Jul 6, 2005.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

My case is different, you see, from Rhet's.

I am the guilty one I think because I for selfish reasons in my past turned to public school teaching instead of ministry or theological instruction. That drove a wedge between me and God's will as I see it.

Then, when I returned to God around 1990 after many years of feeling apart and after restarting my theological training, while still teaching school, finishing it , and looking in mirror, I found I had grown old : I had not stayed the course , I had not finished the race ; I had not kept the Faith, and the wrinkles on my face were from selfishness not from service.

So I am determined to walk as far as I can for as long as I can on a higher path than I did before. While I'm ashamed to offer the LORD only what's left of me, that's all I have left to give.

2. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

My two cents: I think the really wonderful thing is that right now you have an awful lot to give and now you really want to give.

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Tom

Thanks. I hope to give freely.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZThD,

You and I have had these types of discussions before. I am proud to call you my friend and fellow worker in the Lord's vineyard.

I greatly appreciate your honesty and willingness "to confess your faults." I have also been accused of being "too transparent." But, I have found that I must preach and teach out of where I am personally in my life.

These reasons are why I do not go on and do the other doctorate that you and I have talked about so many times. The time will be more productive doing the preaching, teaching, researching, writing, and missions. "The night cometh when no man can work!"

God speed!

sdg!

rd

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

For all of you older fellers,what you have left to offer is probably pretty good stuff.Remember it is well studied and aged with wisdom. It could just be your best years are ahead of you and not behind.I myself am not a young rooster being 60 years old now.

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

PO Bill

Thanks for the encouragement. I see you're in the NW. I'm in Salem, Or.

One nice feature of old age is that I now live on SS and teacher retirement. So, I CAN GIVE my time gratuitously.

At this point my project is to put my dissertation on Christology (wherein I express my own particular opinions) in a more popular and distilled form and give it freely online or inexpensively bound.

Hopefully I can also find a little Bible college or seminary where I can "donate myself" freely either by DL or in person if the school is not too far away.

And in agreement , I can, as you say, look for any opportunity to serve in any capacity as it is better to be even a gatekeeper in the House of the Lord than to be a prince outside of it.

Bill

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a new Seminary in Salem, no buildings, meeting in churches, started by Earl Radamacher (that used to be pres of Western Baptist Sem. in Portland.) and not sure who else.

Don't know if they have needs but might since they haven't been going all that long. Derickson at Western is helping with it as well as Wayne House, as pres.

http://www.otsweb.org/

Just ran across them the other day on the net.

8. Plain Old Bill

Wow UZThD,talk about coincidence.Not only that have you thought about mentoring.
    I would be very interested in reading your writings on Christology.
    Another thought that has been running circles in my mind is we have a massive amount of well qualified and talented people on this BB.I think it would be really good if it were providential,that some of them would get together and start a real online School for training pastors,missionaries,and evangelists.I did not have a degree granting institution in mind.I think since it would be DL type training a diploma would be more in order. But what would be most important is that a complete training package be put together.My thought is that at worst you would end up with a bunch of extremely highly qualified deacons and Sunday School teachers.What kick that would be to have teachers and deacons who could ctually read and understand greek,who actually had good doctrinal and theoligical training.
    I would love to be a Sunday School teacher of a bunch of high school boys if I had your training to pass along God's Word. I wonder how many preachers would come out of a Sunday School class like that.
    Anyhow just my rambling thoughts and another two cents worth.

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Thanks! I'll look into it. Derickson was an informal reader of my dissertation. While I went to Western Seminary (90-94) , where Radmacher taught, he had already retired.

Bill

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Bill

I'd be very happy to contribute time to a school as you describe.

I am a Conservative Baptist.

Bill Grover

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might email or phone the seminary as I don't think they have an office. The address on the website is in a residential area and the address on their doctrinal statement is a po box place from what I know.

Thought might save you some running around :)

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    exscentric & UZThD,

I might be up to do some online mentoring. I am already involved in The (Southern Baptist) Founder's Ministy and Academy which is done all online, email, phone, fax, and such.

I also teach via the Blackboard delivery system that our little college uses. I will also be doing one section of World Religions online this Fall starting in just a few short weeks. We have used this delivery system for a few years now.

Let me know what some of your ideas are if you would be interested for me to help or consult.

sdg!

rd

13. Plain Old Bill

I read Derickson's study on theology a couple of years ago. It is on the Master Christian Library cd.I like to read on my computer so I can adjust the print size.
    Sounds like you guys are getting together pretty good.This is wonderful.Dr. Bob is semi-retired I think and he has quite a background, you might think about talking to him and throwing around a few ideas.
    I'm independant,fundamental(in the R.A.Torrey sense) and Baptist.I am KJV preferred somewhat but I really like the ESV and am waiting for a good ESV study Bible before I get another one.I also use the NIV and NASB.I am pre-trib,pre-mill,saved by grace,security of the believer type.I think dispensational teachings are useful for Biblical interpretation but would,nt call myself a dyed in the wool dispensationalist.

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I read Derickson's study on theology a couple of years ago. It is on the Master Christian Library cd.I like to read on my computer so I can adjust the print size.
    Sounds like you guys are getting together pretty good.

===

sure it was not Erickson?

Gary Derickson seems to be a fine Christian. He is twice published in the area of my dissertation which concerns the question of a hierachical relationship within the immanent Trinity. He was good enough to advise me after reading each chap of the dissertation. I wanted someone as Gary to do that as the work was on the views of American thought about Trinal relationships and the Committee was composed only of reps from three South African universities.

===

This is wonderful.Dr. Bob is semi-retired I think and he has quite a background, you might think about talking to him and throwing around a few ideas.

===

Bill, a question that I have is if there is a genuine need for yet another opportunity for an online or distance learning school. There are quite a few colleges and seminaries offering DL studies as part or the whole of their curricula already you know. Bob, I think, is a DMin grad of one of these.

===
    I'm independant,fundamental(in the R.A.Torrey sense) and Baptist.I am KJV preferred somewhat but I really like the ESV and am waiting for a good ESV study Bible before I get another one.I also use the NIV and NASB.I am pre-trib,pre-mill,saved by grace,security of the believer type.I think dispensational teachings are useful for Biblical interpretation but would,nt call myself a dyed in the wool dispensationalist.

===

You sound much like me. I grew up on RA Torrey. I used Torrey's book on doctrine , and The Fundamentals he edited , in my 2004 dissertation, but only briefly to establish that Fundamentalism, as these works exemplify, does not require the tenets of God the Son's eternal begetting or His eternal relational subordination.

I was converted in La Haye's church in San Diego , which was Independent Baptist in '59. I am premill but, as yet, I hold off on unquestionably affirming pretrib as I have not satisfied myself yet on that (despite the old daye's of La Haye's preaching on it [​IMG] )! I don't deny it, I just am biding my time while chewing over some portions in Mt and Thess. Probably I will not figure it out until the Rapture [​IMG] !

As I understand it a pretrib position is not a requisite for the CB Association of the NW , but it seems to be in the teaching statement of some CB schools as Western Seminary.

Bill Grover

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Thanks again. I did speak with House today, and we plan to meet next month.

Bill

16. Plain Old Bill

Well my official position on pre-mil is if I'm right I leave on the first flight.If I'm wrong then I'll wait til later.It's not one of those things you get to worked up about.

I know I've looked at a lot of them(online&DL).I've also looked at a lot of schools that have residency requirements.What I paid most attention to was the curriculum. It seems to me some are strong on the academics and weak on the how to parts of ministry and vice versa. I think it would be great to have an affordable DL online school that could blend the two together well.Putting an online program like that would really be something,don't you think?

17. Plain Old Bill

Actually Dr. Bob might be working on something along those lines now I think he mentioned it once on one of the forums.I would imagine he would be happy to share with you. I don't know exactly what he has in mind.
    My thought goes something like this:
    It should be a place to train Preachers,teachers,evangelists,and missionaries.
    They should have a good grasp of the academics including at least two years of greek,three would be better.They should know the Bible,sound doctrine,and sound theology.They should be able to prepare sermons and be seasoned preachers(they can go to rest homes,jails,institutions,& be used for pulpit supply)by the time they graduate.They should know how to counsel(biblically)and how to administrate a New Testament Church.In addition they should know how to plant churches.A real biggy would be that they be able to do personal evangelism.They should be able to communicate well and have excellant people skills.They should have thick skins and a heart for God. They will need both.
    Again ,that's my two cents worth.

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey All,

"Throw my name in the hat," if you want me? I can teach Church History, Historical Theology, Homiletics, Public Address, Rhetoric as Hermeneutic, et al.

I am available to consult or teach or whatever. I have published all of my educational credentials before on the BB. My belief system is the Baptist Faith and Message 2000 and the James Boyce Confession of Faith signed by the professors annually @ The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (under Al Mohler).

I will be glad to help in any way possible. I am beginning my eighth year of teaching Religion and Public Address/Interpersonal Communication full time on the College level. I have an ongoing book project where I am the "working editor" (or co-editing). I am active in professional peer review presentations and writing. I have just sent off a book review to Baylor's Journal of Church and State. My doctoral dissertation was in the areas of Social Ethics, Roman Catholic Thought, and Rhetorical Analysis.

I am in the Mid-South though, and that might make a difference. It probably would not b/c of DL models and such.

sdg!

rd

19. Plain Old Bill

Rhetorician,outstanding! I don't think your geo- loco would be a problem for an online DL school.With e-mail and paltalk you can get a lot done.

20. Plain Old Bill

UZThD,
    Nope it's Derickson, I have a hard copy of Erickson.Also have Calvin,Strong,Hodge, and Swindoll (he is editor).I have Finney too but don't have any plans on reading him.