1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama/Biden 2008?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 23, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Breaking news, [this is from an LA Times blog] but it looks like it is going to happen

STORY

If this is true the race is McCain's to lose. Can't see any wisdom in Obama's choice.

#1 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends. If McCain does not keep his word and selects a pro-life VP things will even out.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That and a few other issues. Thats why I said 'It is McCain's to lose.' :)

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This election is all about Obama. It is his to lose. Senator Biden is not a "Wow!"; however, he is a solid pick and greatly strengthens Senator Obama's weaknesses in Washington experience and foreign policy experience.

Overall, an excellent choice and one that I mark down as a positive for Senator Obama as I decide how to vote between now and November 4.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Believe or not Ken I disagree.

In my mind he only added fringe to his already fringe stand.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Well, I guess it is official NOW

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/08/obama_picks_biden.html?hpid=topnews

Heaven knows we are going to need excellent work in the area of foreign relations to try to salvage our reputation around the world.

#7 Crabtownboy, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How is this a positive?

1. Biden didn't even start off telling the truth. Two days ago he said, "I'm not your man."
    2. He has a long record of pomposity and lack of accomplishment in the Senate.
    3. He is a three or four time failed presidential candidate who has never (if my memory is correct) made any substantial showing any in primary. In fact, in a presidential race years ago I believe he was forced out for plagiarism.
    4. His vaunted experience in foreign policy is a media creation. He has never held any foreign policy post. He has no great experience in this area.
    5. His only qualification is that he talks a lot and has been around a while. Neither are particularly beneficial for a vice-president, much less for a ticket that is supposed to be about change.

Obama likely just bought himself a ticket to return to the Senate. While I hope McCain makes a good VP pick, I really don't think it will matter.

This is just another evidence that Obama does not have the experience and judgment necessary to lead this country.

9. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Just my opinion

We have a section on our paper called "Sound Off" Where as you would guess politics are discussed.
    There have been people saying they are a Christian but are planning on voting for Obama. Which I just don't understand how someone who is a Christian can do.

To me a Christian is a person who believes that the Bible is the Living Breath of God not just a part they choose to believe, but the WHOLE ENTIRE BOOK is Gods best for his people.
    And we are to do our best to follow it. How someone who is a Christian can run a campaign or vote for a candidate who believes things far from what we are told in the Bible is beyond me.
    How can they justify Same sex marriage and Abortion? As an okay thing?

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Not a bad pick, not a great pick. Biden has his share of negatives. Biden does shore up some of the many weaknesses Obama has. But when you pick a VEEP that does this, it only calls attention to your own weaknesses. In fact, it's almost a de facto admission of them. IMHO a much weaker pick than Bayh but stronger than Kaine and wiser than Hillary. Did Obama irk some in the House for toying with Chet Edwards? You now have no one on the ticket with executive experience. Biden is a good debater, and the VP debate will be a good one.

11. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

aBidenObama

ABidenObama is my new blogtv nickname

but I would like to say, excellent pick and God Bless them

Two Men and Two Houses will resonate with the middle class and those who play by the rules

McCain/Romney multiple houses and no place to go!

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. You don't know when he was told he was the one.

3. He has run for president two times.

4. He has plenty of foreign policy experience through his work in the U.S. Senate.

5. He has been a U.S. Senator for 36 years. Anyone familiar with his personal biography knows that he is a great, great family man.

#12 KenH, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senator Biden on the fringe? Sorry, Roger, but that statement is so upside down it can't hold a single drop of water.

And while Senator Obama is more liberal than Senator Biden he is not on the fringe, either.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can't; however, there are a plethora of other issues that one needs to include in his/her calculations when voting.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Somethings I've always admired Biden for. One, he gave a moving tribute at the funeral for Strom Thurmond. I believe he now uses his desk in his senat office. Two, he is a devoted family man. Three, he is willing to speak candidly, even if that has caused him to misspeak or speak some things that are racially insensitive.

As far as his "I'm not the guy" comment. It does raise the spector of truthfulness. Other candidates found ways of deflecting the issue without having to step into the trap. Maybe Biden was discounted and then they brought him back. But I doubt very seriously this is the case. They don't stop vetting you as a a potential nominee.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one uses truthfulness as a guide for voting for politicians then he/she would have to pretty much give up voting. As the old joke goes:

Q. How can you tell if a politician is lying?
    A. If his lips are moving.

:)

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pastor Larry brought up the charge of plagarism from Neil Kinnock during the '88 campaign. That was just one part of it. I believe it was also divulged that he plagarised during his academic career, and he also was caught falsely claiming to have more than one Bachelor's degree. So it wasn't just that one isolated statement that ended his presidential bid then. Just FYI.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is worse - plagarizing like Joe Biden did, or having an affair with another woman while married, dumping one's wife, and then marrying the woman he was having an affair with like John McCain did?

19. givengrace

givengrace New Member

But he say's he's a Christian so his beliefs differs from scripture in which he say's he's a part of. So what does he not stand up for his beliefs? Or just a liar? Either way I wouldn't believe a word he say's and I surly won't vote for him. I and First a Christ follower. Second an American

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me, too. :thumbs: