1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Obama does not want Americans to choose to stay home and take care of their children

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for having perspective.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some may be. That would be a problem for your local school and government to address. The more money the federal government throws at schools, the bigger the problem gets.

More stay at home moms or dads might very well fix the problems of education. Money won't. Not ever.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If you, me, or several others on this forum gave the same perspective, we all know with 100% certainty that we would be blasted by the Rev and his fellow followers of Beck.

Let's see if they blast Scarlett O. in the same way. My bet is that they ignore what she said and rail on me for this post instead.

4. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm getting really tired of these misleading thread titles. Rev. just likes to plant bombs and then run away before they explode. It's tiresome.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He can blast - it's OK. He's disagreed with me before and stood up with me before.

I agree with you that money doesn't solve it all and money is not the panacea for education's ills.

It would help if working mothers could have better opportunities for child care and in my opinion if would be helpful if families and churches pitched in more.

Women, and men for that matter, shouldn't have to make the choice of working IN or OUT of the home if that's not their first choice. They should free to make their first choice their easiest choice. Help should be available from somewhere.

First and foremost, family, community, churches, and friends.

Secondly, government help.

But life isn't easy nor fair, and sacrifices have to be made and sometimes our first choice is our last opportunity.

6. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I absolutely understand that some don't have this option but to say that my option isn't a good one is wrong. I also think that MANY women who feel that they don't have the option actually do if they change their lifestyle. This is certainly not everyone or even the majority but around here, trust me, women could stay home if they made some choices to downscale some things.

I'm now at the point in life where, unfortunately, giving is down at church and we are 2 weeks behind in getting paid and it's not looking promising for the future. I'm going to be heading to the local hospital to see if I can get something in the 3-11 pm timeframe three days a week to supplement our income. Our youngest is 11 and still at home being homeschooled and I am NOT going to change my mind on that. She will be home for 2 more years (this year for 7th grade and next for 8th grade) then she will be at the local high school and will be old enough to be home by herself for a time (plus her brother is at the high school so it will be the two of them coming home together). I wished I didn't have to do this but this is the state of the economy in our community. :(

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not our area although they claim they are struggling. We pay, as a household, over $8,000 in school taxes a year alone. That doesn't include the other $6,000 in other property tax portions. I know other areas of the country educate their children with a MUCH smaller hit on their population than $8,000 per household.

9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said your option was wrong. I'm saying I'm not going to presume to know what people's finances are and make a simple judgment that maybe their car payment is higher than they can afford or maybe scaling down would solve the problem. I'm just going to consider it none of my business and that they are striking the balence that works for them.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for posting this Scarlett, you beat me to it. Full text is here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...rks-president-women-and-economy-providence-ri

This is another thread title by RevMitchell that distorts the actual subject matter.

Some people see the world how they want to see it, not how it is.

11. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Long Island vs Chesapeake, Virginia.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't have to participate.

If you're on a crusade about thread titles, start a thread about it and rant about it til your heart's content.

#32 carpro, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
  13. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'll just provide context inside the threads when I feel like it. Kind of like in this thread and the horrible twisting of words in this op. I'm sure not counting on you to offer any rational input here.

You know, there is a group of conservatives on here that do have context when these articles get posted. ITL, Rolf, Matt Wade, Bro. Curtis and myself are all conservatives that are capable of having an open mind when things get posted. When it comes voting time, you and I are on the same side. There is a reason I vote Republican but I don't need to bend words and misinterpret news articles and speeches or flood this forum with a thousand polls to justify my position. There is plenty out there that is actually factual that causes me to vote conservative.

#33 Use of Time, Nov 1, 2014
  14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's what unresolved anger will do to you. It'll have you twisting and turning to make an issue out of something that wasn't said in order to get your daily fix. Anger can be addictive and idolatrous.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a common problem. A choice many have to make. Not the first choice, but we do what we have to do. As you are.

But I don't see you asking the federal government to bail you out or help pay your way.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK , I'm proud of you. :applause:

You can stop patting yourself on the back now.

17. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks buddy.:thumbsup:

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:applause::applause: I've tried to explain in the past that politically, I'm probably one of the most conservative people you'll ever meet because my politics have to align with the spiritual and what I believe God's word supports.

Many on here may not believe that but oh well. :laugh:

And I don't care if it means a candidate is going to lose, but if I don't see where you support Jesus and His truth, I'm not supporting you.

#38 Zaac, Nov 1, 2014
  19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here it is: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...rks-president-women-and-economy-providence-ri

His speech was not about any one thing. It covered a range of topics.

I do not think anyone has said he was condeming them but it is clear that he does not believe that is a choice Americans should make. When you look at the over all tone of the entire speech he seems to indicate that we need more people working so more taxes can be raised to pay for more programs like public pre-school. Much like he wants to force everyone into the insurance market and pay for services they do not use or need so that others can be provided them when they do.

That is certainly part of what he said.

I am not aware that anyone here has said that.

Again, no one said he was. What is clear is that he wants more people especially moms in the work force to provide for these new programs he wants such as public preschools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.