1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obey the entire Bible or pick and choose

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by David Cooke Jr, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Mevaser

Mevaser New Member

The simple answer to that Question is if you are doing it (commandments of G-d) because you love Him, then you are doing the right thing, if you want to gain favor before G-d, meaning getting more saved? then forget it.

Personally, My son is circunsiced, I do not eat unclean animals, Keep the Biblical sabbath, etc... (as Yeshua did, but is a commandment of God), I strive to live the Law of God, because as Psalm says:

Psalm 1

1:1 Blessed is the man who doesn't walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the way of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers; 1:2 but his delight is in the LORD's law. On his law he meditates day and night.

I do figure the Anti-Law people are not been lead by the Spirit of God, but by the Lawless one, whom indeed does not want you to do His will. And in turn you became less effective to His service, mainly witnessing the Jewish Messiah to the World.

Shalom Shalom

Karl

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The law against murder predated the Law and is stated outside the Law, as are many other of God's commands. Thus you are confusing the law with the Law. That will always take you down the wrong path. The Law was the civil code of the nation of Israel. Therefore, it is as relevant to you as is the Law of Persia.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What about those of us who hold the position that Paul, under the inspiration of the Spirit penned? We are most certainly not of the lawless one.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The simple answer to that Question is if you are doing it (commandments of G-d) because you love Him, then you are doing the right thing, if you want to gain favor before G-d, meaning getting more saved? then forget it.

Personally, My son is circunsiced, I do not eat unclean animals, Keep the Biblical sabbath, etc... (as Yeshua did, but is a commandment of God), I strive to live the Law of God,...

You realize, of course, that people will accuse you of being a "legalist" because, in my opinion, you're not observing the laws the way they would.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Pastor Larry said:

The law against murder predated the Law and is stated outside the Law, as are many other of God's commands. Thus you are confusing the law with the Law.

But is this not the very reason that we distinguish between "moral Law" and the rest? Because the moral law reflects God's moral will, not just for the nation of Israel?

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Mevaser said:

Personally, My son is circunsiced,

For what reason?

7. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

For the record, my son was circumcised on the eighth day. It has been demonstrated medically to be the best day. If he is married, he will have a more healthy sex life also (as will his wife). It was purely for health reasons that this was done. It has no spiritual implications or ramifications.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

For the record, there have been countless studies done on the subject, and there are no significant benefits (be it for health reasons or sexual pleasure reasons later in life) of circumcision among infant boys. The number of infant boys being circumcised at birth in the US is now less than 50%. Proper hygiene is quite simple these days.

The prevailing attitude of doctors these days seems to be parallelling the removal of tonsils and appendixes years ago: don't take it out unless it's broke.

Although, I'm still in favor of circumcision for religious reasons, such as in the Jewish community. Call it a double standard, but hey, it makes sense to me.

Any more on the subject should probably go on a new topic.

[ December 02, 2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

9. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I agree with what Helen and Pastor Larry posted.

It is impossible for every person to follow every law that was ever written in the Bible... one reason is that not every law is written to every person. ie: the laws directed to children are for children, and the laws to woman are to woman. There are specific laws directed toward specific people. Not to mention that some laws were written for a specific time period, and since Jesus replaced them with something more important...his sacrifice...they are not applicable.

I think that perhaps the point being made here is why some laws stick out more than others...good question. I don't have an answer for why certain churches decide which laws to be more strongly aligned with, and why other laws are not adhered to as vehemently. Some churches are very strict...some are very lenient.

Why do some churches teach to not drink alcohol whatsoever? even though the Bible says "drink a little wine for thy stomach's sake"

Why do some churches allow woman to speak?...when the Bible says that a woman should be silent.

Guess it depends on who's church you attend. As for me... the commandments about sprituality and loving my neighbor weigh heavier than those about hair length. I guess it's because of my belief that God is bigger than that. If I'm wrong... I'll stand corrected when I get to Heaven.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hi WisdomSeeker,

I think it becomes a matter of priority dempending a church's purpose. Onviously, we're to proclaim the Gospel of Christ, but there are literally thousands of ways to do that. If a church's main emphasis is, for example, feeding the poor, then perhaps biblical dietary regulations may be more important. I've mentioned Habitat for Humanity several times. Their ministry is the hammer. They emphasize biblical principles that refer to house boulding. Even Jesus' "house on solid rock, not sinking sand" is taken more seriously. Also, they don't charge their homebuyers interest on the home loan, because the Bible forbids charging interest to the poor.

Just a few examples.

11. TheTravelingMinstrel

Timothy 1:5-11
    But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

[ December 02, 2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: TheTravelingMinstrel ]

12. TheTravelingMinstrel

Are all these arguments to justify homosexuality?

Homosexuality is a sin and it is stated in the new testiment.

You can't just take one verse that says the old laws do not apply and say that it justifies.
    If you do, you are taking the verse out of context, as in you are seperating it from the rest of the Bible and the nature of God.

Does God hate homosexuality. You bet He does.
    He says that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God (Corinthians 6:9).
    Homosexuality is not created by God, not endorsed by God and it is a sin.

To argue for it further would be imbecy.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

So everyone who's studied hermeneutics agrees? I guess you and Rev. Joshua had the same answers, right?</font>[/QUOTE]Of course not. That's why I said a good course [​IMG]

14. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You can't just take one verse that says the old laws do not apply and say that it justifies.
    If you do, you are taking the verse out of context, as in you are seperating it from the rest of the Bible and the nature of God.

True. However, we do this all the time with other OT laws we choose not to follow, and call it "legalism". Many denominations have arisen out of the countless interpretations of biblical laws.

He says that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God (Corinthians 6:9).
    Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    Hmmm.... well, I guess Amy Grant won't be there, either, since she's an adulterer. The emphasis here is not the list of acts (they're examples, but this is not an all inclusive list of unrighteous transgressions). The emphasis here is the unrighteous. The unrighteous will not inhierit the Kingdom of God. Considering that most people, uncluding most of us, are copiously guilty of unrighteousness, then this verse applies to us as well, not just those committing sexual sins. Let's start worrying about our own unrighteousness before worrying about someone else's.

[ December 03, 2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

16. TheTravelingMinstrel

I was merly pointing out that homosexuality is considered a unrighteous lifestyle.

17. Dave Bussard

Dave Bussard New Member

I started to vote, but then realized it was a trick question by somebody that doesn't seem to want to know the truth. If I'm mistaken, sorry, but it appears this forum has men wanting to lie with men and say that it is okay in God's eyes. If this is the case with this pole, why doesn't everybody quit debating those that have been given over to their controlling lusts so that they will go away?

Dave B

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Let's not forget, heretosexuality is also an unrighteous lifestyle (unless in marriage, of course). Heterosexual fornication is more prevalent than homosexuality, yet it doesn't get nearly the attention than homosexuality does, and is often considered to be less of a sin than homosexuality.

19. TheTravelingMinstrel

So, what does that have to do with anything.
    Homosexuality is still a sin and anyone who says it isn't is wrong.
    People are trying to say that homosexuality is ok, they are not for illegidiment heteralsexual relations.
    If someone came here and said that those where ok too, i would tell them they where wrong also.

I don't care if other sins arn't given enough attention, I am only showing that homosexuality is still a sin.

20. Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle Guest

The NT believer is not under the OT Law (the Mosaic Law) ... none of it. The Law existed as a whole. To be under part of it is to be under all of it. Paul condemns those who would place people under part of it. That is what the whole book of Galatians is about. Some aspects of the Law are based outside the Law. They have continuing relevance as is evidenced by their expression or grounding outside the Law. For instance, murder is condemned outside the Law and capital punishment for murder is substantiated outside the Law (Gen 9). Therefore, murder is a continuing provision for the Law. Homosexuality is condemned outside the Law (Rom 1; 1 Cor 6; Gal 5). Therefore, homosexuality is still a sin against God.

The principles are found by realizing the distinction between the Law and law, by recognizing those things which have bases or expressions outside the Law, and by seeing what the NT says about role of the Law in the NT era. These principles will prevent the abuse or misapplication of the Law.
    </font>[/QUOTE]