1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Old folks who think they love old things

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that conservatives are for injustice, for taking away from the poor, for keeping them poor, for allowing them to suffer with no health care?

Is this what you are advocating?

And why attack other Christians and not the real enemies of God?

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Uh, no, your reading comprehension isn't too good. Its the liberals that want to keep the poor poor my friend, and maintain an entitlement mentality.

Regarding attacking other "Christians"

The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares - Matthew 13:24-30

24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

I thank God for what Jesus said in Matthew 6:

37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

And that according to Matthew 24, it is not possible for the elect to be decieved:

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Jedd! Great use of Scriptures.I'm impressed :thumbsup:

4. Thousand Hills

Thanks, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.:laugh: Here's another I thought of after I posted.

I Never Knew You - Matthew 7:21-23

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and now and who is it he said would enter heaven:
    From Matthew 25:

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

It appears to me that Jesus comes down on the side of justice, helping people, feeding people, clothing people, etc.

Again in your first post are you saying that conservatives are against helping others, against justice for all, for clothing people, for visiting them when the are sick, etc.?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thousand Hills comments

Of course the folks in liberal denominations who have gotten away from God's word and ordained women, preach a false gospel of social justice, preach a false gospel of saving the planet (global warming, etc.), and touted their "Open Minds, Open Hearts" above the truth of God's word have contributed just as much as the older folks in bible believing baptist churches that operate nothing more than a social club.

too bad Pastor Durant hasnt come on to comment....sure he would see this comment as commical.

Before he established a independent church in upstate NY, he was involved (I think heavily) in the United Methodist Movement up there. Well he got tired of the political stuff, the games played & that advertisement he sited as ....'Give us your Hearts, Give us your Minds, & most of all Give us your WALLETS!' :laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. Thousand Hills

Come on CTB, you know that is not what I am saying, you simply are just repeating the question because that is what YOU believe. I was making a joke in my first post (actually speaking the truth), but you know that and are just trying to twist my words somehow.

8. Thousand Hills

Great passage CTB, I believe we should help those less fortunate. But I don't think Jesus came to meet our "temporary needs". He came to seek and to save that which was lost. Obviously showing we are not wrapped up in ourselves and helping folks gives us the opportunity to take part in Christ's true mission. But are we doing those things because we truly care, or are we doing them just to pat ourselves on the back.

It does no good to give a man food, and drink, and not share with him what he truly needs. My opinion is that alot of the mainline denominations in the US are possibly meeting physical needs but not spiritual needs. Does that mean everyone in those denominations is failing to share the true gospel, no, there are many of God's elect working to share the true gospel, despite the fact that denominational heirachy is corrupt and misguided.

What do you think Jesus was saying in these verses, what do you think is more important?

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

John 4:10-15 10 Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.”11 The woman said to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. Where then do You get that living water? 12 Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, as well as his sons and his livestock?”13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”15 The woman said to Him, “Sir, give me this water, that I may not thirst, nor come here to draw.”

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You say you were making a joke and speaking the truth. So is the truth a joke?

Actually I do not believe I twisted your words. You implied that you did not agree to having justice for the poor, to having them fed, to have them clothed, etc. You indicated you believe that is liberal Democrats.That implies that you believe the opposite. I doubt this is true, but if you do not want to give that impression don't politicize the belief.

Again, in the context of this thread I do not believe it is political. I think it is what Christ demands and expects of us.

Earlier you said: Crabby, this is a discussion about the generational failures of the American church, there's no reason to drag liberal democrats into the discussion.

I do not thing doing what Jesus asked is liberal democrats. I think it is what Christ expects of us if we are His. Yes, to do what he wants is tough, but he did not promise us a bed of roses.

I would agree that many American churches have fallen short of doing that which Christ expects.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crabby & Jed,

Great dialog Gentlemen.....Im impressed. At last, a conversation discussing meeting needs (both physical & spiritual).

God bless you---made my day! :godisgood:

11. Thousand Hills

We will leave it at this which we both agree upon.

I apologize that my earlier statement went over your head. I did not mean to cause confusion or imply wrong doing on your part if you really didn't understand my sarcasm. While I read frequently, I have not posted a lot in a while and interacted with you lately. My apologies.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand sarcasm ... but not the addition of the truth part.

Actually the cold print on the cool screen does not carry inflection and often does not carry meaning well.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It would be helpful if you would provide specifics.

What ideas would you demolish?
    What would you keep?

What would you substitute for those things you throw out?

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

These are excellent questions. I'll address them shortly. But we have to first recognize the problem before we can talk about solutions. The problem is that one generation in the last century failed at the helm. If we can recognize that then we can examine why and how and talk about how to fix it.

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

To me, it is more "old school".

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Luke, It is nothing but ad hominem and I figure it is probably the best you can do.

I changed the first name of the quote as well. It fits.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see it all unfolding. Luke is young, so everything is the fault of the older generation. If God blesses him with a long life then, when he is old, everything will be the fault of the younger generation.

Do I see some narcissism here?

[​IMG]

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The song with the lyrics "lets have a little talk with Jesus" drives me up the wall, among others. What is a little talk as opposed to a big talk? That is about the most meaningless phrase I had yet heard in a hymn. "I'll Fly Away" sounds like an airline commercial. I guess the worst ever devised is "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Posts of Life." I believe that is by that Christian giant, Marty Robbins. While we are at it, we can "turn on the radio and get in touch with God."

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Also, I have always wondered why some groups dressing like they are backup cast members for "Little House on the Prairie" think that sets them apart for the Lord. Those hats the women wear. Wow. They look like a giant version of those small cups you dispense catsup in at McDonalds.

Another religious group, the women wear their hair up in buns all the time. I wonder how that relates to being closer to the Lord. It certainly would slow down the birth rate. And those ugly dresses. Most of them look like a potato sack that was beat with an ugly stick.

Maybe we can start a new denomination where everyone wears a Batman outfit or a Catwoman costume. That would set us apart.

20. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not to split hairs, but do you think God is unable to touch someone through something said or sung on a radio?