1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old School Baptist Doctrinal Debates

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by old regular, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, if some brethren with whom you fellowship decides that somethings which you all previously shunned is now acceptable, we all should say yes and avoid conflict because that is carnality ?

2. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is not doctrinally sound, no. In that case, just one side is being carnal. I’m saying you can be spiritual minded sometimes and carnal minded at other times. It is being in that carnal state that gets us in trouble.

Do you not believe a person can be carnal minded?

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't know about your church, you know much better than I. I do not know of any denomination or church that has not changed in their life style over the years and agreed to accept things the "old brethren" would not accept. I know when they thought "carpet" was a sin, indoor plumbing, brick on the church etc.

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

How about padded pews?:laugh:

Still, pinoybaptist is speaking about certain doctrines and practices that are actually occuring and which are not as simple as "padded or not padded".

There is a vast difference between "should we put carpet in the church" and "should we set up a mission board to oversee the workings and funds of chuches in certain areas".

I am opposed to additions to worship, but not aids. Carpet is an aid (to our poor old feet) and a mission board is most certainly an addition.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh yea, padded pews was a "big" one. The gall of us Christians to want to sit on a softer seat.

6. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carpet Runners

I have known of carpet runners,and lunch rooms,evening church works etc being subjects of hot contention, but not so much now. Bro.Mike

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, Bro Mike;
    We have seen it all. If the old brothers could come back, I would be the first they would throw out on the street for I am the one who upgraded the Old Narrows Branch Church. I been their moderator for almost 18 years, at Turkey Creek for 8 years. Membership with the Dix Fork for 10 years. I would say you have heard of the Dix Fork for they have the name of being the strongest church in the Old Regulars.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have been in churches that have padded seats, wooden benches. I have been in churches that have central air, fans in the window. I have been to churches with furnace heat, and coal and wood stoves...I have even been to a church that used out-houses for their bathroom. This was as recently as 1997-98. I felt comfortable in all of them. It's the singing and preaching that kept me coming back!! Not all the amenities(sp?).

9. Bro. James Reed

I say Amen, but my rear end still likes those padded pews.

There's one PB church down here that uses theatre seating from the 1960s. I think people weren't as wide in "certain areas" back then. I wish they'd go to pews, but I doubt they have the funds now, and I know they had a heated "discussion" many years back over why changing the seats would be wrong.:laugh:

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

old regular;
    You need to empty your pm boxes so we can send you a pm. They are full.

11. Tiger Hicks

Tiger Hicks New Member

Hello Board,
    I am new on here and would like to get in on some discussions. I pastor a Missionary Baptist in a rural area in WV. Most of the churches in the area are Old Regular. This was totally new thing to me since I grew up where there were no Old Regulars. I have visited their Church and met many of them, they treat me with the utmost respect. I pray someday to be able to meet with the Elders and Moderators of all these churches in a mens group to just be in fellowship with one another. many people in the area do not fellowship between different churches and I think we should. In Christ, tiger

12. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fellowshipping is great, but I do see one problem. Old Regulars are not Missionary Baptists and I think you would find a lot of resistance in trying to obtain any kind of official correspondance. Old Regulars typically only correspond with churches of same faith and practice.

Please do not offended. This is my opinion and my reply is only intended to give you a little insight on the way Old Regulars interact with other denominations or subdenominations. God bless, Keith Deel

13. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missionary Baptist

Welcome Tiger Hicks! I would love to have your input on Old School Baptist, and maybe we could help give you some insight to who we are.Elder Roger Murrell who now pastors the Blessed Hope Church near Liberty ,Ky had been a member of the Missionary Baptist, before joining the Old Regulars, you might enjoy talking to him.We are more open,than most Old Regular's in talking with Missionary Baptist and other groups.We however do not maintain correspondence with any New School Baptist, some have visited our churches.We have an Old School Baptist fellowship meeting coming up at the Mt.Zion ORB church on ST RT 309 near Ada, Ohio starting Friday at 1p.m, March 30th.31st and April 1st.There are supposed to be some old time Missionary Baptist from Missouri there.You are welcomed to come,along with anyone else.Brother David Charles is in charge of arrangements 614-878-2797 Elder Slone

14. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use of oil in laying on of hands

I know of only a few Old Regular Baptist, that use oil,when laying hands on the sick, two were churches that left the Thorton Union, the other was in the New Salem, but I do not believe they maintained this practice at present.Most Old Regulars believe the oil is the Spirit, not natural oil. like the oil of gladdness. Brother Slone

15. Bro. James Reed

I believe the use as prescribed in the Book of James is a literal oil. I do not believe there is power in the oil itself, but that it is a representation of the blood of Christ healing the spiritually dead and a show of our faith that we believe that Christ is able to heal our spirits and our bodies, if he so chooses. I have seen oil used in this capacity a couple times. It is not very common, but there is scripture to back it up, so I have no issue against its use if someone requests it.

I think we would all agree that the bread and the wine and the water used in the Lord's Supper and foot washing represent something spiritual, and there is no power in the elements used, yet we do literally eat bread and drink wine and use water to wash feet. I believe the same applies to oil being used in times of sickness.

James

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Zech. 4:
    11: Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?
    12: And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?
    13: And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
    14: Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the LORD of the whole earth.

I believe it to be the Spirit myself, but thats just me.

17. Sober_Baptist

Sober_Baptist New Member

I too believe it is literal oil. The oil makes for a better transfer of energy between the healer and the healee ? .
    I have studied energy healing and believe this healing is similar to Pranic Healing which is practiced in China mostly.
    Don't misunderstand me; I'm not going off into kung-fu religon, but the healing act has a remarkable amount of similarities.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have never known the use of literal oil in the ORB and I been around for some time now. We have always considered it to be Spiritual.
    Now, we do believe in the "laying on of hands" for the sick, and we practice it at our church when ever requested. We mostly add it in with our regular prayer and have the person sit upon the stand with all the elders and in that prayer we lay hands on them and ask God to heal them from their sickness. No big show or something like Benny Henn, we do it in meekness and without any show.

BBob

19. Bro. James Reed

Typically when I've seen laying on of hands, outside of an ordination service, the person was very ill, either in a hospital bed or at home in bed.

Both times I have seen oil used in this practice, the person had cancer and requested the use of oil.

I had reservations the first time I saw it used, but after studying the scriptures, and the Book of James in particular, I have come to the conclusion that there was a literal oil used in biblical times as a physical representation of what they were praying for to take place spiritually.

I certainly would not make an issue with a brother over their particular view of this.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That would be a hard one for me if a dying person requested literal oil. I don't think it would hurt me though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.