1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Older Real Singers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, May 11, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the recent death of Eddy Arnold I am lamenting the state of real singing. I loathe rap/hiphop . It is a disease. If a gun was placed to the heads of the current crop of rappers to really sing or die -- I still don't think they could manage to warble a note . ( Well , the gun might make me nervous too!)

I will list a few of the older singers who are still around. All but one ( D.D. ) still perform. You can add others to the list for those born in the 20's or 30's .

Vic Damone ( born 1928 )
    Doris Day ( born 1922 )
    Jack Jones ( b. 1928 )
    Steve Lawrence ( b. 1935 )
    Patti Page ( b. 1927 )
    Andy Williams ( b. 1927 )
    Don Williams ( b. 1939 )
    Ray Price ( b. 1926 )

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Not only could Eddy Arnold sing, as can all the others you listed, in my book the most important thing is that you can understand the words.

And every of of them on your list could sell a song.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Might note here that Christian artist Dottie Rambo was killed in a bus crash, yesterday.

Ed

4. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

....hmmmm....I don't get it....you don't think spitting and spewing garbage into a microphone constitutes singing??? And, Tom Butler, you think understanding the words to a song is important????? :laugh: :thumbs:

I have a diverse musical taste, but rap is NOT on that list. Except for Don Williams (I had to look him up to know who he was) and Ray Price, I grew up listening to all these folks you listed, coz that's what my mom and dad loved. I particularly loved Andy Williams voice, and the song, "Dear Heart" is still one of my very favorites of all time.

I'll have to think of folks to add to the list though--all the ones that I can think of right offhand have already passed on. Of those, Perry Como was my favorite.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay , before talking of those singers who have passed away, I will name a few others who were born from the 20's to the 40's.

Pat Boone (b. 1934 )
    Vikki Carr (b. 1941 -- I share not a birthyear, but a birthday with her and something else! )
    Ben E. King ( b. 1938 )
    Al Martino ( b. 1927 )
    Jody Miller (b. 1941 )
    Cliff Richard (b. 1940 )

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I hate rap/hip hop. And there are some older singers I really like to hear, although I don't think as old as some of you.
    You will find there are a few modern day singers who are very good, not rap/hiphop. And there are a few who sing the older songs like those you've listed sang.
    I love the sound of Ben E. King's voice.

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I miss the days when you could hear and understand the words, and the music was relaxing and enjoyable. The singers actually SANG and didn't scream out the words--or just plain scream. There is so little talent among music writers these days, and very few of them know proper grammar. They often use "ain't" (which isn't a word in my opinion), double negatives, and other grammatical errors that ruin the song in my opinion. I won't listen to such crappy songs as that, and I certainly won't sing anything like that during church services. God deserves our BEST and not our second best. When was the last time anyone wrote anything to compare with Beethoven? Even much of the so-called "gospel music" is difficult to tell from hard rock. Rap in my opinion is NOT music; it certainly isn't singing. I especially like waltzes.

#7 Jon-Marc, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ain't is a real actual word now, it has been added to the english language (at least the american version of english).
    And writting a song is not the same as writting a novel, like expecting perfect grammer from it. If you want perfect grammer, read a book, an english book. Songs are different, their a place where english and grammer don't have to be perfect. If I had to worry about those in song, they would no longer be a place to sit back and relax.

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

To add a few more.
    Kay Starr 1922
    George Jones 1931
    Bill Anderson 1937

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tony Bennett (b. 1926)
    Wanda Jackson (b. 1937 )
    Johnny Mathis (b. 1935 )

I'm not much of a fan of these performers though they are a talented group. Tony is still going strong. Elvis Presley actually covered a number of songs in Jackson's style. Johhny's gay, what can I say? A gifted performer nontheless.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mel Torme (sp?) "The Velvet Fog". I can't understand a syllable of that scatting stuff, but I like it anyway.

Is Don Williams as old as these other folks? I don't think I heard of him till late 70's. I have several of his recordings. My wife's fav singer.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scat singing is not meant to be understood. The sounds are not words. I'm not a fan of Mel. He died in 199 btw. Presently we are discussing older living singers. But hop right back when we go to the subject of deceased singers.

Don is 69. "Good Ole' Boys Like Me" is a fav of mine.But I am not one of the good ole' boys myself in every respect that he itemized in that song. Isn't his voice smooth? He has no razzzle-dazzle, no smoke or mirrors , no gymnastics, etc.-- just straight ahead good vocalizing . His lyrics were understandable-- they actually made a point or two. Aaanndd you could hum to his music or really sing along, if so inclined.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone here appreciate Mireille Mathieu (b. 1946)the French singer? She was on a summer replacement show in the late 1960's and can still be found on youtube. BTW, I do not play the radio.And I don't have a CD player or an MP#3. I gave away my LP's years ago. Youtube is my sole source for music ( and sermons and news etc.)I guess I'm technologically-challenged.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Never heard of her. And I didn't know Mel T. was dead. Guess I don't keep up. :) I guess I can't mention J. Cash since he's dead. Back in the late 60's and into the 70's I was the bigget Charley Pride fan on earth. I guess he's not very active these days.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't know if these two fit your catagory but speaking of youtube I recently spent a whole night into the wee hours on youtube listening to Doc Watson and Alison Krauss. Doc is definitely old anyway.

17. nunatak

nunatak New Member

My Dad loved Emmylou Harris.

I have enjoyed the voice of Karen Carpenter.

18. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Tony Bennett!!! That was another of my parents' faves. I bet I heard "I left my heart in San Francisco" a blue zillion times.

And I'm just now learning the wonders of YouTube. I had no idea that there was so much music available on it til, well-- the folks here at the BB kept posting links to clips, and I followed them, and just kept on going.

Okay, so NOW I have to look up Wanda Jackson, coz I don't remember that name.....

19. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I LOVE Emmylou Harris....fabulous, fabulous voice. And I liked her before I learned to appreciate almost any other country music.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay some more older, real singers who are still around.

Elaine (Spanky) McFarland (b.1942)
    Anne Murray ( b.1945 )
    B.J.Thomas (b. 1942)
    Jerry Vale (b. 1932 )

I've seen the middle two in concert.