1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On "Throwing Your Vote Away"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 12, 2024.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first 1 minute, 10 seconds of this video is absolutely SPOT ON.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.

It is impossible to "throw away" one's vote.

The idea you have to vote for one of the top two contenders is just manipulation to get somebody vote for what they see as a "lesser of two evils'.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What such people are really saying is kind of like a meme I have seen that says something along the lines of, "They don't want to hear your opinion; they want to hear their opinion coming out of your mouth."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t see it as the lesser of two evils. There are only two candidates in the actual election that have any chance—one of them WILL be elected.

Therefore, I vote for the one I believe will be the best of the two choices.

#4 MrW, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One issue is as long as people choose the lesser of two evils there will always only be a choice between two evils.

Why should a party submit to the will of the people if the people will give them their vote regardless?

My issue is that I believe we are accountable for our voice and who we choose to support. I will not support an evil, even if it is to oppose another evil. That is where faith, IMHO, comes in. We are faithful regardless of the outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We aren’t voting for Pastors. We aren’t voting for the “most holy among us”. We are voting for public servants, flawed as they are, to implement policies that most align we our way of thinking; someone that will fight for the average Joe.

Despite his flaws, DT has been the most conservative POTUS since Reagan.

That is the fundamental reason the left hates him so much.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually we are voting for rulers.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like you, I have only one King. Voting doesn’t change that.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree we are not voting for pastors. But we are still supporting a person, a platform, and a political system.

If one cannot in good conscience vote for a political candidate then they should not vote. To do the otherwise would be a sin.

If one cannot in good conscience refrain from voting then they should vote. To do otherwise would be a sin.

As Christians we are not called to change another's conscious when it comes to how they participate in politics.

I cannot in good conscious support evil, even if it is the lesser of two evils. I would rather be faithful to God and let God take care of the outcome.

I hope that Christians who vote for Trump do not believe they are voting for evil....even if a lesser evil.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, no one should support evil. But that is the death of debate, isn’t it. “Your guy/party/platform is “evil”! Therefore, no discussion is possible.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t vote for the lesser evil.

I vote for the best available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't the death of the argument (you could discuss the reasons).

But insofar as participating in secular politics, I do believe that the discussion ends (at least for Christians) with individual conscious.

Democrat Christians tend to seek ways the government can care for people. Republican Christians tend to look for moral issues like ending abortion. Those are debates to be had.

But when it comes to applying ones support to any secular organization I believe each person has to pray and follow their conscious. I'd never tell somebody not to vote, and I'd never respect anybody telling me I should vote.

13. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrat “Christians” seek for ways to take money away from people who worked and saved, paid their taxes, and lived responsibly and thus should reap the benefits of their labors, and then (the dems) want to give it to people who smoked, abused drugs and alcohol, and gambled their incomes away, so they can reap rewards they don’t deserve.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that is not their reasoning. Christianity is not defined by refraining from taxing some to give to others (or not refraining from doing so). Christianity is defined by the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Christians willingly give to the poor (to those who did not earn that income). But this doesn't save them (it is something we do because we are saved).

A Democrat could rightly question how a Christian could support a candidate that lies (all seem to do so), that uses foul language, etc. and speak of Republican "Christians".

An atheist could question how a Christian could repeat misinformation and view this type of behavior as defining our faith (which is why I have been urging caution on these threads).

But the hard truth is that politics often makes hypocrites out of well meaning Christians. It doesn't make them non-Christian, but does cast doubt on their faith.

It goes back to that old saying - What do you get when you mix Christianity with politics? Politics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree; world rulers of the darkness of the age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And he said to them, 'When ye may pray, say ye: Our Father who art in the heavens; hallowed be Thy name: Thy reign [kingdom] come; Thy will come to pass, as in heaven also on earth; Luke 11:2

Well you all tell me that reign/kingdom has already come so I guess there isn't any need in praying for that, however i do wonder if there is a thousand year rule of Christ on the earth, would that be the kingdom Jesus was saying to pray for which I would assume would follow the following change in, "age" spoken of?

And Jesus answering said to them, 'The sons of this age do marry and are given in marriage, but those accounted worthy to obtain that age, and the rising again that is out of the dead, neither marry, nor are they given in marriage; for neither are they able to die any more -- for they are like messengers -- and they are sons of God, being sons of the rising again. Luke 20:34-36

Seems to me Rev 20 says something about people being raised out of the dead and ruling with Christ. I might be wrong but don;t think so.

Maybe that is the kingdom Jesus was telling them to pray for.

• Like Like x 1
  17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    This reminds me of a Simpson episode where two aliens impersonate Bob Dole and Bill Clinton (1996?)

Just before the election, they are discovered but tell everyone they have no other choice since they won the nomination.

Somebody says, “We will vote third party!” To which they respond, “go ahead and throw your vote away!”

It seemed very funny to me at the time… still does.

peace to you

18. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The way I see it, we only have two options this election:

Kennedy and The Libertarian Nominee.

I'm voting for the lesser of two evils this time! ;)

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is RK Jr on the ballot in New Hampshire? I thought he qualified for the Dems?

I know there is a dem challenging B:den and B:den not even in the ballot because he wanted SC to be first.

So B:den will surely lose NH and dismiss it because he wasn’t on the ballot

Tomorrow will be interesting

peace to you