1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One More Question on Obama

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Not sure, whats it to you???

BBob,

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He shoots. He scores!!!! :thumbs:

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Don't expect Bob to give you anything other then the run around. His position is off on this one and he knows it, but yet won't admit it.

Jamie

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Name Has Changed

See....this is what I find offensive with this board in general. It almost always digresses to name calling and insults when some parties can't make a logical argument to support their idea or point. This is truly a shame.

Like BroBob said, OBAMA'S name carries with it a negative vibe [Bob didn't use these exact words] that causes people to think of Obama as a Muslim. If those who convert to Islam can change their name [maybe they have to, I don't know?], why doesn't the Muslim change their name when they come to Jesus?

As for your comment about my name [Irrighteousdude2], the answer is "No!" :thumbs:

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yes, we are all kin. Bob is even kin to Osama, Obama and me. :)

Jamie

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

What I find is people will come to the debate forum, ask a question and want a response, and then when asked a question, they totaly ignore it. :rolleyes:

Me thinks you didn't want a discussion, you wanted support for your position or question.

Jamie

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, that makes us all irresponsible, right????

BBob,

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You two dudes need to read the whole thread and see who takes your position and who takes ours. Or just listen to the whole world, Oh, I know you are right and the whole world is wrong.

:BangHead:
    BBob,

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I reckon.

Romans 5:12 (ESV)
    Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think he got a lot of support even though he only ask a question. You didn't have to join in, but chose to.

BBob,

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me Thinks You Wrong, Dude

Me thinks that you are way off base on this one. I wanted, and got good discussion, including those from you. I don't thinks I posted to get support for me ideas. But thanks for your opinion, it was worth putting out there, because there are many posts that me thinks are posted to get just that: Support for theirs ideas.

Shalom :type:

12. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

In all fairness, this is not really a muslim name - just because the one that named him is muslim. It's an regional/cultural name - not too uncommon for that in the mideast. I have known a few men named Barak. The name has a meaning in traditional Farsi and would mean the same thing muslim or not. It seems that right now, all arabic names are unfortunately associated with Islam. I appreciate the concern, but changing a person's name doesn't make any difference.

Having said that, I'll say that I still have trouble with this candidate, but his name isn't even on the scope of my concerns.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope that it's not the case, but this thread is looking like it's full of xenophobia and subtle racism.

Asking a man to change his name because you are uncomfortable with the fact that his name is not a good, White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant name is completely unreasonable.

His name is not a "Muslim" name. Only the either a) misinformed or b) racist opinion that all Arabic-sounding names must be Muslim would lead to this conclusion. If his name brings up thoughts of Osama bin Laden, we should take care not to assume anything because of this fact. Sen. Obama's name does not mean he is a Muslim or a terrorist any more than Osama bin Laden's name means that he's a senator from Illinois.

People should not be expected to change their names based on other people with similar (or identical) names.

Judas who betrayed the Lord had the same name as the author of Jude (anglicized version of "Judas").

Apollos had a name derived from a Greek "god," but he didn't change his name. God did mighty things through him.

There are other examples, but you get the point.

If you oppose Sen. Obama, do so legitmately--by opposing his positions, not his heritage.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I wonder if being named by a muslim father "Obama" would mean that he had named you with a muslim name? It really is far fetched to not think it is a muslim name, now that is one for the records. Just curious, it could be Irish..........:)

BBob,

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Muslim" is not a language. The origins of "Barack" have already been discussed. Being named by a Muslim does not make the name inherently Muslim.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Even Barack does not deny that He had a Muslim father when he was named. You are trying to defend something that no one is making evil, just truth.
    I do not know of anyone who said "Muslim" is a language. It is a religion though.

BBob,

#56 Brother Bob, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is a religion. But the religion of one's father does not necessarily make one's name from that religion. You are using the term in a sense that is inappropriate. As a matter of fact, you asked facetiously if the name were Irish--a term defined by an ethnic group of people. "Muslim" cannot fall under that category. The only reason you are making this an issue is that the Arabic-speaking world is predominately Muslim. Had his father named him "Joseph" it would not be an issue, but, according to your logic, it could still be a "Muslim" name because a Muslim father gave it to him.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am not, I am repeating Obama himself mostly. You are trying to defend something that Obama does not deny.
    I wonder why?

Obama's own words:

“In Indonesia, I had spent two years at a Muslim school,” he wrote in his first memoir, “Dreams from my Father.” “The teacher wrote to tell my mother that I made faces during Koranic studies.”
    Obama — whose father, stepfather, brother and grandfather were Muslims — explained his own first name, Barack, in “Dreams”: “It means ‘Blessed.’ In Arabic. My grandfather was a Muslim.”
    In his second memoir, “The Audacity of Hope,” Obama added: “Although my father had been raised a Muslim, by the time he met my mother he was a confirmed atheist.”
    Still, when his father, a black Kenyan named Barack Obama Sr., died in 1982, “the family wanted a Muslim burial,” Obama quoted his brother, Roy, as saying in “Dreams.”

BBob,

#58 Brother Bob, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One of the greatest Missiologists of our time is named Emir Caner...perhaps we should say he is nothing but a Muslim and wants to ruin the name of Christ by not changing his name.

This is such a sad conversation.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Then let me ask you this. Using your logic that abortion should between the mother and her doctor (personal choice) and not the government then it should also be up to the parent if she/he simply gets tired of their children and she/he drowns them in the tub like André Yates did in Texas or like the couple who killed their daughter and put her in a container and left her on an island in Galveston Texas or like the guy who recently stomped on the head of his 3 month son killing him and throwing him out along the road for what ever reason, correct? All are personal choice and there should not be laws protecting the innocent so the government should stay out of it correct?

#60 freeatlast, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.