1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open/Close/Closed Communion

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Pluvivs, Jun 24, 2004.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Well done in applying "engineer speak" to this thread! :D It seems though that I am in agreement with you - preferring to practice close communion.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

If you read the context prior to the Lord's Supper passage, you see that Paul is addressing people in teh body who are exclusive and shutting other members out. That is why some were sick and some died. They had an exclusive party going on that some were excluded from. That is where the idea of "proper fellowship" comes from.

If this passage doesn't describe what it means to be worthy, then no passage does.

I am referring to those outside the membership of a NT church, whether this particular one or not. Close communion allows members in good standing of other churches of "like faith and practice" to participate. The only problem there is that a church could be allowing an unworthy member to partake. Closed communion makes more sense from that angle, even though we do not practice it here.

Before each observance, I mention the four qualifications that we believe necessary: Salvation, baptism, membership, good standing (orderly walk). I tell the people if they meet these four qualifications they are welcome to participate with us. If they do not meet those qualifications, we do not wish to be unnecessarily exclusive but to please let the tray pass you by. I always invite them that if they have questions about it to see me. I would love the opportunity to talk more with them about it. Beyond that, we do not really pursue it. The only exception would be if a someone who was currently under church discipline was there and tried to partake. We would prevent that. (I have heard of churches where it was a problem, even after asking them to abstain. They simply started not passing the tray down that row.) We also do not let children partake unless we know with reasonable certainty their spiritual status.

I think esssentially, you explain it and tell them how it works and what you expect. Most respect that I have found.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We at our church invite "all who know and acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour" to partake, with solemn admonitions to let the bread and wine pass them by if they do not, frequently quoting I Cor 11 which, incidentally, strongly suggests that the Lord will judge unbelievers who participate. So, having given that warning, it is for the Lord to decide, not us, who is worthy.

Mark, you were asking about where in the NT it talks about the universal church? Well, what about eg: Eph 1:22-23, Col 1:24?

Yours in Christ

Matt

4. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

No Universal Church talk!!! I know these are intimately tied issues, but please look in other threads and/or start a new one if you would like to see that discussed explicitly.

Matt, the lost are already damned and guilty of Christ's Blood, so no other act could make them more guilty. In that light, it is evident that the lost should not be participants. My earlier note of Judas may have suggested otherwise, but I know that the disciples were not privy to know that he was lost and damned and so they made no move to remove him from fellowship. We, like them, cannot be perfect judges, and so we must rest on the Lord's final judgement. Is there any doctrine (there may not be) that can be divined that answer my 2nd and 3rd questions in an earlier post (i.e. how do we enfore... and legitimacy)?

-Pluvivs

5. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Though the other disciples did not, Christ did know that Judas was a devil. He picked Him to fulfill the prophecies that an insider would betray Him. Judas is certainly no example for the church to follow as to who to ordain, who to intrust with the treasury....or who to invite to the Lord's supper.

The ten commandments were not given to the Local church. They were given to the Jews and to the Jews only. See Romans chapter three and II Corinthians chapter three.

I agree. Judas was also ordained to the ministry and intrusted with the church treasury. So now let's have a simple "yes" or "no" answer to my question: are you in favor of ordaining devils to the ministry or intrusting thieves with the treasury?

Mark Osgatharp

6. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

Mark,

Certainly not. And do not be misled into thinking I would condone such ordination if knowledgable of the state of that man. See my post right above yours--I fully believe that, had anyone but Christ known who Judas was (other than that he was a thief John 12:6), they would have ceased from fellowship with him. I ask these questions to glean any understanding of the issue that I can get, whether it come from my own spirit, or from the words of others.

People can be broadly classified into 1 of 4 areas: Believers (A) and Non-believers (B) in truth, and Professors (1) and Non Professors (2) in word and life. These are independent of each other, so that John the Beloved would be of type A-1, Judas B-1, etc. My search in this topic is specific division of truth, such that I can understand who is allowed at the Lord's Supper in light of this classification. (Caveat: by the 1-2 classification, I am making the bold assumption that the type 1's are faithfully in a local assembly, and that the 2's are not)

In a summary of my thoughts, most all instruction in the NT is given to type A-1 people, and most condemnation is given to type B-2. There are several examples of type B-1 (Rev 2:20, Matt 7:15), but very few of type A-2 (the only example I can think of off the top o' my head is I Cor 5, where a man is excommunicated for fornication).

The statement commonly made, especially concerning this subject, is "Christ was only speaking to [type A-1's], so it must follow that only [A-1's] may participate." However, there is no contrapositive, because there are 3 other possible states of man, so _that_ logic does not extend to say "Type A-2, B-1, and B-2 are not allowed" without a direct prohibition. We have such a prohibition of B-2's in I Cor 5 as "not to company with fornicators," and that specifically applies to A-2's in v 11. Since we cannot discern who (other than ourselves) are B-1's, we have no authorization to try to find them out externally--it is an internal matter as described in chapter 11.

My reading of the passages also shows nothing about a distinction from one A-1 type person to another, whether they be from the same assembly or not. Therefore, it would appear that Close Communion is concordant with scripture.

-Pluvivs the Classifier

7. Mark Osgatharp

Pluvivs,

My point remains; the fact that Judas, being an unbeliever, participated in the Lord's Supper proves nothing in favor of open, close, or closed communion. It only proves that sometimes unregenerate people infiltrate the church and as long as the church is unware of their unregenerate condition it is obliged to treat them as any other who professes faith in Christ.

Mark Osgatharp

8. Mark Osgatharp

Both passages speak of local churches, each of which Christ is the head.

Mark Osgatharp

9. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

Mark,

You have hit the nail on the head! The Judas point does prove some things, however, namely 1) we cannot take God's place in deciding who is actually saved and who are deceivers (differentiating A-1 and B-1 people), and we are not commanded to attempt to do so by any church practice 2) Likewise we must be "obliged" to treat them like any other, even if we heavily suspect them as infiltrators. Re-read my last post (especially the penultimate paragraph), for I say that the disciples would not have had fellowship with him if they knew him to be of the Devil.

Nevertheless, there is no distinction made between members of different churches from partaking of the Lord's Supper. Again I repeat, Christ and Paul speaking to a particular congregation does not constitute a basis for a doctrinal position that only a local congregation can partake.

-Pluvivs

10. Mark Osgatharp

But we are commanded not to eat with certain classes of people and, therefore, the idea that self-examination is the only pre-requisite to taking the Lord's Supper is pure baloney.

The mere fact that Paul spoke to a particular congregation may not constitute a basis for "local church only" participation; but the fact that he spoke of those who do partake as being one body does. The only "body" that exists in the mind of God is a local congregation of baptized believers.

"The cup of the blessing which we bless is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread."

I find this verse, found in Paul's first letter to the church of God at Corinth, to be the most impregnable stronghold for the strict closed position. I also find it the most cogent argument against the interchurch communion position.

Either the body is universal - all the saved - and thus the invitation must be to all the saved; or else the body is local and therefore the invitation must be only to the local body. There can be no in between.

I might add that this verse exposes the absurdity of the open communion/universal church position, for if a universal body does exist, never did it partake together of the Lord's supper. The only "body" that can truly manifest the oneness of Christ is a body of baptized believers bound together with cords of holiness and love!

Mark Osgatharp

11. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

Mark,

I never stated, nor do I hold, that the church has no ability to draw distinction, or that it cannot refrain people from partaking the supper. Rather, I said quite specifically...

"We have such a prohibition of [the lost living like the lost] in I Cor 5 as "not to company with fornicators," and that specifically applies to [the saved living like the lost] n v 11. Since we cannot discern who (other than ourselves) are [the lost pretending to be saved], we have no authorization to try to find them out externally--it is an internal matter as described in chapter 11."

That is, it is not explicitly given that a church can demand you show that you're saved publicly, or before the congregation, in any way as part of the preparation for taking Communion.

Mark, many times I have heard the allegorical picture of a particular assembly being a body as proof of doctrine. It simply isn't. You yourself admit so. Yet the passage you quote in I Cor 10 is dealing with idolatry, and the sense of the entire chapter is focused on this. The statement "are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar" is compared with being partakers of Christ's Blood and Body via Communion, and it's also compared with knowingly eating food offered to idols making you a partaker of their idolatry. Now, according to that, the passage would mean that ALL who partake of the Lord's Supper are partakers of his one Body. Simply because he calls that group a body does not mean he excludes anyone.

Nay, he includes himself, who is not there in person to be a partaker in the flesh! He is very bold to say that "WE being many are one bread, and one body." Paul is nowhere near Corinth, and since the statements are indefininte ('being many', 'are partakers'), he is not saying "when I was with you" we were a body, but rather that he still was a part of them.

Yea, even moreso he includes ALL by saying that they are one bread and body BECAUSE they are partakers of that one bread. Therefore, any that would be a partaker is elligible for being that one bread and body.

I need not even address your other statments, for you yourself admit that they are based on this verse. Nevertheless, I will add that your further statement that "never did it partake together..." is meaningless. Where in the passage did it specify that ALL the local members had to be partakers at the same time, otherwise it didn't count as real Communion? If that is not a requirement, then why would you make it one for the universal church concept?

Consider this: if one comes to salvation, and enters into fellowship with the believers via the local church, is he not part of the body until he has taken Communion?

-Pluvivs