1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opera (free web browser)

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by bb_baptist, Aug 27, 2002.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Opera is a FREE, fast, user-friendly, versatile Internet/intranet browser. The latest version of Opera for Windows is 6.05.

http://www.opera.com/download/

Give it a try.

2. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

This is an excellent and super fast browser.

It was downloaded 5 million times at Download.com in less than 2 months! I strongly recommend it to everyone. It's FREE, so give it a try!

[​IMG]

[ September 19, 2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: webmaster ]

3. jRich

jRich New Member

Isn't Opera the browser without images?

4. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

opera is indeed a cool browser - I just wish that it supported a bit more of the css2 recommendation.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Opera displays images just fine. Loads pages faster than IE; downloads are typically faster than other browsers as well.

Does have some drawbacks; my wife can't play her Pogo games in Opera....

6. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Actually, Opera has one more image than it should (the banner ad on top in the free version). [​IMG]

I really like the browser within browser feature (and am sure that IE will have it in the next version). Overall, Opera's speed and unique features are unmatched by the major browsers.

Opera is (in my opinion) much better than Mozilla 1.1 or Netscape 7.0.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I've discovered is that www.pogo.com, where my wife likes to play on-line games, seems to work ONLY in Internet Explorer.

I've tried Mozilla, K-Meleon, Opera, and Netscape 6.2; the games act like they're loading, but never come up.

8. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

As of this week, Netscape's global usage share had dropped to 3.4 percent, down from 13 percent last year at this time, according to data from analytics vendor WebSideStory. The report is based on data from the company's StatMarket, which aggregates data from millions of Web browsers each day.

Market share for Microsoft's Internet Explorer, on the other hand, continues to rise, up to 96 percent today versus 87 percent a year ago.

"The browser war is in fact a massacre," said Geoff Johnston, vice president of product marketing for StatMarket, in a statement, adding that Netscape is almost on a par now with other browsers such as Opera.

9. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

and you have to wonder what percentage of that figure are developers testing their sites in netscape....

10. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Good point. I always test changes on all browsers.

Netscape is dead and the only hope for N is if AOL integrates it into its AOL browser.

Opera on the other hand has a good chance of becoming the main IE alternative.

11. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

Another browser that is Free (not even banner ads) is mozilla. Mozilla is based on netscape, & a very cool browser with great features.

12. Jesus Page Tools

Jesus Page Tools New Member

[​IMG] Good points,
    Yet I have never had any probs with IE !
    :D Like Dad said If its not broke why fix it ? [​IMG] In Christ David

13. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

IE is a great browser but it won't be free for long unless there is competition.

The Oslo, Norway-based company is on the verge of releasing a trial, or beta, version of Opera 7, which will resemble its predecessor only in superficial ways.

Interesting read:
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-954561.html

14. jasonW*

jasonW* New Member

Gotta go Mozilla! Mozilla all the way.

Besides, what else do I have on Linux? There is Galeon (which uses the Mozilla engine), but I might as well have the real version.

I know I can get IE for linux, but that seems wrong for some reason...sorta like office on a Mac. [​IMG]

15. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

16. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Office on Windows actually seems wrong to me…

Most of the Office components were originally developed for the Macintosh and them taken to the Windows platform. Furthermore, Microsoft has recently stated that the latest version of Office for Mac OS X is the finest version of Office available – better than Windows.

It’s interesting to see how Microsoft hides it’s support for the Macintosh from Windows users… You will scarcely see a mention of the Macintosh on the main Microsoft section (www.microsoft.com), but if you go to the Mac section (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/), it’s a whole new world. I guess they don’t want the poor Windows victims to see what they are missing. :D