1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opinion: A pop quiz for biblical literalists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, May 11, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. Is it your contention that he's changeable or changed his mind with regard to these acts? Or does he base his morality on where humans are in their development? So if it isn't immoral for the people of the OT why would it be immoral now? See these are the questions that the OP is attempting to bring up. How do you reconsicle these things God has said?

2. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now say that 10 times fast.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is moral that we die because we have sinned. Not only will we die physically but eventually we will die the second death if we do not repent.

However in this age the overiding concept is GRACE and forgiveness and
    also the elements of governmental rule are still in effect.

The Nation of Israel was a theocracy and under that government death was the penalty for the sins you mentioned.

God has not changed but His rules for us change.
    We are not under the mosaic law but all are dealt with on a "whosever will" basis.

In this age God has made the following command:

NKJV Acts 17:30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent.​

But one day grace will end and then will come the wrath of God

KJV John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

KJV Revelation 16:1 And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.
    2 And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.
    3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.
    4 And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.
    5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
    6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.
    7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.
    8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.
    9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.
    10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,
    11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.​

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.​

HankD​

4. Old Scholar

Old Scholar New Member

Unfortunately you have take most of your answers to the questions completely out of context.

A very good example is your question number 3. Women are saved by:

Women are saved like everyone else. The verse you quoted was literally for saving from childbirth and not salvation.

A great deal many Scriptures must be taken literally, in fact most of them can. However you can't take the law and history of the Old Testment and use it as gospel for how we are to behave.

I certainly agreee with you that it is only God we should worship but without His word in the Bible, we would not know how to do that—would we?

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I can't wait until CTB explains away marrying a goat, or a five year-old.

Too bad the Bible is a treasure of mythology for him. I find it to be a fantastic love letter from my Savior and God.

It must be rough being ashamed of Scripture. Glad I'm not.

6. Old Scholar

Old Scholar New Member

We must always remember why God gave such strict laws. The people had been slaves for many generations and knew nothing else. The gods they were exposed to were the pagan gods of the Egyptians. They were not allowed to worship in their own manner. Very few of them knew God's ways and followed them.

When God had Moses take the people out of their bondage, they did not know how to act or what to do. It was necessary for very strict laws to govern them in order to create 'a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.'(Ex. 19:6) This was the divine means for God to create such a holy people. As God is holy, He expected His people to be holy but of course they still had much trouble trying to keep His laws and commandments. That's why He made them wander around in the desert for 40 years, to be sure all the generation that lived when they were freed had passed away and they could start anew to try and keep His very strict commandments.

Of course they still could not keep His laws and never did learn to do so and that is why He sent His Son to earth and why He gave Paul commission to preach a new gospel to the gentiles.

It isn't as if God intended that law for us today because there would be no purpose in that. The Jews of the day could not keep the law. It was too strict and that is why God did away with it for all the gentiles and the Jewish people who would accept and believe Him. Unfortunately many of them still don't.

Like everything else in the Bible, all teachings are to be taken grammatically and historically in context.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus said "I did not come to abolish the Law" So is it still in effect as a means to live by even though there is nothing in it to effect salvation? Paul said in Romans
    and again
    and
    and
    and
    coupled with this
    So then does law still define what is sin? And if we are no longer in bondage to sin might we avoid these sins? And if So is it permissable to let an Adulterer and homosexual live in our community?

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You didn't finish the verse.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Jesus fulfilled the law, every jot and tittle. When we put our faith in Him, that fulfillment is imputed to us, so that we are righteous (in Him). Because of that, we are no longer slaves to sin, meaning we will not receive the wages of sin, which is death. Christ took the wages of sin (death) on Himself, therefore we are free from the penalty of sin but we are also righteous in Him because He obeyed all of the Law perfectly.

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So then we don't have to live righteously is what you're saying. Just live and do whatever we want because Jesus took care of the consequences right? I wasn't saying anything about Justification or earning salvation. I'm saying that we still have to follow God's view on what is and is not Moral if you read the rest of the verses I listed by Paul you'll see what I mean.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Paul said the Law is our schoolmaster. The Law shows us our need for a Savior by showing us what sin is and revealing to us our failure in keeping it.

Anyone who has no regard for God's Law and sins without conviction, is not saved and does not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Amy he will run you in circles because.......... that what he does. He doesn't know what he is talking about. He just talks.

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Despite what the Rev has said. I think this is a key issue. And my point is what you are saying at the very end. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit enables us to obey God. The heart of the Law. But the OP makes a point with regard to the Law. Has God's standards changed or not? If not then there are no true literalist. Even those of us who use the bible as our authority because it is the Holy Spirit who guides us into all truth. Which is not always a litteral interpretation of a passage.

BTW the REV is being a bit insulting. I don't just talk. He thinks because I disagree with him on certain issues that I don't know what I'm talking about. Which in my opinion is the hight of arrogance. To suggest you alone are the ultimate authority. I'm civil. I can agree to disagree. Not the Rev. it seems.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The OP is pure garbage so there's nothing to comment on regarding it. I was just responding to your question about the Law.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So do you believe there are true literalist?

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have no idea.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The law was given to God's chosen people - the Israelites. I believe He literally told them that law and it was for them until Christ came to fulfill the law. What was the purpose of the law? To show God is holy. To show the people to live differently than the world. To point to the one true Lamb who would be slain for the sins of the world.

As for the idea of living right, a believer lives right because he's driven to it. It is now his new heart and the Holy Spirit in him that makes him desire to please God. That is the fruit of the Spirit. If one says they are saved yet continues to live in wanton sin, they are deceiving themselves and the truth is not in them. We live right because of our salvation - not that we are saved because we live right.

18. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you even have the slightest clue as to why Jesus Christ was crucified?

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Way Some Interpret Scripture

The ignorance displayed is stunning. What can you learn about people by selectively taking passages from their writings and putting a strange spin on them? Not much, but let's try it: according to one religion, a true adherent must speak in tongues and take up serpents (1). Unruly or rebellious children must be put to death (2), as must Jews (3) and anyone who does simple chores on the Sabbath (4). Further, followers of this faith must hate their families and abandon them (5), and you must follow all orders from the government, since rulers are placed over you by this religion's god (6). Slavery is permitted (7). If you have enemies, you are ordered to love them, kill them, accommodate them, and send them to hell to burn for all eternity (8). This religion's god sent a savior -- to cause humanity strife and grief (9). Followers should not pray in public, such as in school (10), and abortion is OK since a fetus is not a living human until it takes its first breath (11). After death, you may not retain your spirit -- sorry (12).

Did you guess the religion? You probably did -- it's Mitch in Kentucky's religion: Christianity, and all of these things are from the Bible. (Remember, I said this is what someone who selectively takes passages and puts a "strange spin on them" could conclude. Clear?) The references:

1. Mark 16:16-18
    2. Deuteronomy 21:20-21
    3. Luke 19:27
    4. Exodus 35:2
    5. Luke 14:26, Matthew 10:35-36 and Matthew 19:29
    6. Romans 13:1-7, 2Peter 2:10, Matthew 22:17-21, Mark 12:17, Luke 20:25
    7. Eph 6:5, Col 3:22
    8. Matthew 5:44, Luke 19:27, Matthew 5:39-45, Mark 9:43-48, Mark 11:13-14, 20
    9. Luke 12:51-53, Matthew 10:34
    10. Matthew 6:5-6
    11. Geneses 2:7
    12. Eccl 8:8

from http://www.thisistrue.com/antichrist.html

20. Old Scholar

Old Scholar New Member

Amy is absolutely correct!

You didn't complete the verses. Christ said He did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. He fulfilled it with His crucification and resurrection. Even those of us who are Israelites are no longer under the law.

As for as adulterers and homosexuals, I believe you will find it is the 'act' that God despises. He would prefer all homosexuals come to repentance and salvation.

God does not expect any of us to live under the law of Moses.