1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Oprah and Rick

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Feb 24, 2013.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But what might have been said and left on the editing room floor might be vitally important. I gave specific information when I was interviewed and then got in trouble for not giving that information because the news station chose not to show that portion of what I said. Fortunately, I was able to get the original tape and show them that I DID speak of it and it was not my fault that they chose to not report what I said. It happens.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I guess I am going to have to Purpose Driven Life on my reading last now.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To me it wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't earth shaking. My husband DID teach a class with it though and it was very good. Of course teaching and adding more stuff to it really made it a good class.

4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Ann, Something tells me RW was not concerned about what aired and what was not. I'm sure we would hear from if wasn't happy with what was presented.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Oh come on what? It's true. There is a lot more filmed than is actually used.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Guys, you can argue without beating each other up.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

BUT MOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! It's just these big inflatable swords!!! It doesn't hurt anyone!! Oh....sorry about the lamp.

Says the woman with 4 children.....

8. SolaSaint

Lol. Very funny

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean jesus did not say that others would know us by 'how well wfight the bethren" then?

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Or by how big of bruises we leave??

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saggy is right on!

In the past, I've held numerous jobs that afforded me opportunities to speak to the media on behalf of my employer [always state government jobs]. I've done everything fro quick sound bite interviews, to full on sit down interviews for Sunday afternoon news shows.

I learned early on that the media folks couldn't be trusted to properly present what I said in its full content. They were great at cutting and pasting, and coming up with a show or news clip that got me to say more of what they wanted me to say than what I actually said..

On of the biggest gaffes I let myself fall into had to do with a neat program I ran at the county school. I had adults from all career fields, go into classrooms and share about their job and why they liked it and more importantly how they needed to complete high school and college or trade school to achieve what they now had.

Along with the classroom visits, I had the students complete a survey about school.

Later that week, when being interviewed about this community wide career day event, one of the questions i was asked had to do with the survey, and I was asked about a question that asked kids if they liked their school and course work? I answered that according to the survey , something like 90% of respondents said they loved school and felt it challenging and beneficial for their next step, college or trade school. They asked about the other ten percent, and I said the 4% of the respondents felt school was boring and a complete waste of time.

You can already see where this story is going :laugh: The next day in the local and regional papers and on the news casts, I was quoted as saying that "Students at local High Schools think education is boring and a waste of time!"

Of course this caused a rift between me and the school administrators, as they felt I betrayed their trust. :tonofbricks: Luckily one of my friends, a top reporter for NBC, and a gal I was dating from the local rock radio channel, also heard the interview and stuck up for me and told the admins what happened and how the media took what they wanted to make a controversy out of nothing.

I learned from there to never again say anything that could be left on the editing room floor. :BangHead:

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it was George Bush Sr., during Iran-Contra, was being interviewed on 60 Minutes and he had placed a large schoolroom style clock on the wall behind him so that video editors could not a slice and splice his statements post-production, to make him appear to say things he didn't say.

13. SolaSaint

Dude, I hear what you are saying, but do you feel this is what happened to Rick Warren? Many in here assume he may have presented the gospel and Oprah had it edited out. I don't believe RW ever did present the gospel. Of course it is all speculation on my part, but Warren keeps going back to Oprah for more of this Lifeclass stuff. Why would he do that if they are cutting what he says?

14. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't begin to say...

...that is a tough question, SS, and surely ne only RW can answer. I know that if it were me, I'd have my way with her, especially when she makes such broad sweeping statements that there are more ways to God, then Jesus. And I can bet that two things would come out of my response.

1) It would more than likely be edited out...:tear:
    2) And she would place me on her "Do not return" list! :laugh:

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bush was smart....

....smarter than liberals, Obama, hollywood types, entitled, racists, the entitled, illegals, and gays would want us to believe.

Thanks for that piece of information, it caused me to :laugh:

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

SolaSaint,

What is the deal with your concern of Oprah's presentation of Rick Warren?

17. SolaSaint

I believe RW has single handely ruined the SBC. His PD materials are now in most every SBC church in America. I think it fills the pews with people who make false professions of faith because they are never rpresented with truth but instead entertained and tickled. I saw a church go full blown PD about 7 years ago and I feel it was ruined. Also Warren couldn't rub elbows with a worse person than Oprah as far a spiritual matters go. Just look at who she indorses. She is false and Warrens seems to warm up to her instead of share the truth. I will always warn people of Rick Warren unless he repents and comes clean on what I feel is disception.

#77 SolaSaint, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013