1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Origin of subscripts at the end of Paul's epistles

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Aug 1, 2008.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Bible's have "subscripts" at the end of Paul's epistles. For example at the end of Corinthians -- "The first epistle to the Corinthians was written from Philippi by Stephanus..." -- or Philemon -- ""Written from Rome to Philemon by Onesimus, a bondservant."

Does anyone know when and by whom these subscripts originated?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is well documented that Paul used a secretary in authoring the various letters ascribed to him in the New Testament. Through this method Paul would speak a letter (like Romans) and a scribe with whom he was familiar would take down in shorthand on a vellum or wax tablet what he was saying. Afterwards the scribe would take the tablet, write out the actual letter using Paul's words, and present it to Paul who would add a finishing line or two. Very common in that day...and still so today.

I suppose that is where these subscripts came from. :)

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But how would the secretary know to identify an epistle as "the first epistle" when there was no second yet?

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not been able to find any information on the Web. I think I remember that these were additions that were put on the epistles at a fairly early date (but not original). Looking for documentation something to read on the history of the subscripts.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Outside of the secretaries, there are some scribal inclusions that might have happened. The variants within the New Testament, while not substantive in theological scope, are of goodly number.

Perhaps you could give us some more substantive examples. I'll comb my library and dig up some stuff too. Thanks :)

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    preachinjesus, I can look these up when I have more time. But in between time if you look at the end of Paul's epistles -- after the last chapter and after the numbered verses -- you will find the examples to which I refer. I am not sure these are in all Bibles, but have usually been in most of the KJB's that I've had.

Thanks.