1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Original Sin and its imputation on the human race

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I wasn't speaking of you specifically, but others like Iconoclast who constantly copies and pastes Reformed creeds/writers, or folks like Luke who practically calls anyone who does not conform to ancient Reformed theologians an infidel.

For every theologian that supports Calvinism you can find those who don't. Where does that get you? The only thing a person can do is read the scriptures and ask God to give him understanding.

The problem IS theologians, these are the folks responsible for error and getting everyone else confused. I am not saying they are all bad, but many are. I have read a little Hodge (a very little), but I believe he is in error. Of course, I believe anyone who supports Calvinism is error, but that is because there are hundreds of scriptures that refute it.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Those 2 had "special" cases, NEVER to be duplicated again, so we would be either born as sinners, or as jesus was, think Bible supports born with sinful natures, ala "flesh"[/quote]

3. JesusFan

Think that the ONLY reason that they would 'refute" it is due to you having a faulty interpretation of the scriptures that you would be citing!

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

[/QUOTE]

Learn the quote feature. I don't even attempt to read your posts anymore when you can't tell who said what.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

You can think whatever you like, doesn't make you correct.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

well since you aren't going to respond to my objection, I'll restate it.

One, this commits the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, just because Augustine came out of a neo-Platonic background in his Manichaeism doesn't mean it was improperly imputed into his theology. This accusation isn't a good one and we can see other aspect of Aristolean thought as well as some Greek philosophy in other, just as influential, theologians.

Second, the Manichaes weren't hyper-gnostics but get lumped into the gnostic sect because of their dualism. Thus they have an odd association with materialism and spiritualism that seems to conflate aspects of ontology which should be separated.

Third, Augustine is frank about his development out of Manichaeism in several of his works. Do we really think that people stop thinking or are unable to disassociate themselves with a former way of life? That it overrides their entire mental faculties for future theological work? Certainly not. Paul didn't remain a Pharisee.

Fourth, you've got zero cerdibility by posting webistes. How about getting into some good theological works. Notice in my original response I pointed out there are a plethora of other, just as significant theologians, contemporary and previous to Augustine who ALL held to original sin.

My position is the historical position on this within the early church, specifically the patristic period, is that, though it was uniquely nuanced, most orthodox theologians, of this period, who wrote on this matter held to a position of original sin in humanity.

I challenge anyone to show me wrong. (Blogs aren't credible sources here)

7. JesusFan

Think that what God is doing is declaring the truth that we are already sinners, due to the natures that we now have due to the fall of Adam, and that those who are saved are declared by him rightous state due to the obedience of Christ!

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bingo...which makes the "standard" mentioned in the op a fallacy.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

None of their works mentioned guilt due to Adam, but the focus being on the curse and death spreading to all men.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is there to get around :confused: Death spread to all men through Adam. That is what the text says, not the presupposition gleaned from it saying we all are guilty in Adam.

11. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

We are told we sin because, When Adam sinned his nature changed, so therefore everyone born from Adam's line has a new and unimproved sinful nature. What actually did change and when?
    When we go all the way back to Genesis and see how it played out we can get to the root of the problem.
    Eve ate of the forbidden fruit, she gave to Adam to eat as well, then their eyes were opened and they saw they were naked. Getting to the point here. God said, they have become like us, knowing good and evil. There you have it, a new nature. The only problem is, To say we have a sinful nature because we now know good and evil is to say the unthinkable, God has a sinful nature to. That doesn't even settle good with me to think it much less type it out.
    So why do we sin? God created man to be in complete fellowship with Him from day one. Being estranged from God at birth and outside of that fellowship we are left to live by our own natural senses and abilities. Our flesh becomes our main focus. Our focus is feeding, clothing, making the flesh comfortable, etc... Our spirits are out of proportion to this world without God being in the driver seat.
    The cure for sin.
    The gospel gets preached, we hear the message and hopefully get saved. Fellowship is restored, the Holy Spirit moves in and helps us overcome temptation. It's all about fellowship with God.
    Now we are told we have a new and improved divine nature. Not so fast there either. It is true we are new creatures in Christ, but we do not get a divine nature at being born again. The Holy Spirit moves in and fellowships with us, comforts us, and helps us overcome. Because of that truth it changes our perspective on everything and may feel as we have a new nature.
    2 Peter 1:4 tells us we are now partakers of the divine nature and this is where we are told we now have a divine nature. When this is examined we see we are only partakes of the divine nature not that we get a new nature. The Greek word used here for partakers is also translated as fellowship and communion. So we see we are in fellowship with, in communion with, partakers with the divine nature.
    If one were to give a description of God how would you go about it? What words would one used to define Him? Holy is one, but another is divine. So we see we do not get a new nature versus a sinful nature, but that now we are in fellowship with God, just as He planned all along.

Paul actually uses all three words, fellowship, partakers, communion, in 2 Corinthians 10:16-18. See also 2 Corinthians 6:14.
    2 Corinthians 13:14; The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. (communion here is the same Greek word used as partakers)
    Hebrews 12:10; For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Ephesians 3:9; And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Ephesians 3:16; That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened by his might by his Spirit in the inner man;
    See also Ezekiel 36:26 and 27. It is the spirit of God that causes us to walk in holiness.

Revelation 3:20, 21; Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
    To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

See 1 John 2:27, 28 we abide in him.

It's not that we have a sinful nature or that we are broken when we are born that causes us to sin, but rather we are not complete in the sense that something is missing, the fellowship of God.

To have a visual of what is being said here just think of Moses coming down from Mt. Siani. They had to put a vail on his face because of the glory that was on it. Moses was in fellowship with God, now that is fellowship! Was Moses' nature changed? of course not, he even disobeyed God after that encounter with God on the Mt.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, the error is thinking the only 3 options you presented are it.

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you sure about that?

I'm pretty sure Athanasius gets very specific about this in De Incarnatio where he links the first Adam's sin with the second Adam's (Christ's) propitiation.

I can, of course, supply links for my proof and not negative conjecture. :)

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you referring to him addressing the nature of man? (eis pantas, tous anthropous e apate diebe)?

If you can supply Adam's guilt being passed on to us from this work, be my guess.

15. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A) that supposition was never proven

B) I didn't rely on Augstine but Scripture.

C) You bingo'ed pontification. Argue the points of exegesis.

16. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To have death is to be guilty. So if our death comes from Adam, the logical conclusion is that the guilt is also from Adam.

Plus, v. 19 makes it clear that we are appointed sinners by Adam's sin. It is not about inheritance. It is about imputation. The context of v. 13 makes that clear. Otherwise a concept like inheritance would have been used other than "impute." The fact that the original sin is the source of all this problem also has to be accounted for. Why else would it be mentioned in nearly every verse of this periscope if it is not the root cause of our death and guilt?

#76 Greektim, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Very interesting post Romans7man. I am going to call you R7m from now on if you don't mind, we all shorten names for brevity here.

I too have written in the past that the only moral change in Adam (all men) is that he now had the knowledge of good and evil. And I also agree this cannot be evil, as God said we have become as he is, and there is no evil in God.

Is this conscience? Conscience by definition means to know right from wrong with an inclination to do right. So, was this describing man now having a conscience? I would like to see your thoughts on this.

If so, conscience is the law written on the heart, we become a law unto ourselves (Rom 2:14-15). This explains how man died from Adam to Moses without the written law. Even without a written law, men naturally understand that lying, stealing, murder... are wrong, and a man is convicted of sin when he does that which he naturally perceives as wrong.

Or do you believe this knowledge of good and evil is something different?

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Good job Greektim.

Original sin is 100% Biblical. Sin and death have passed onto us through Adam, and we too are therefore guilty.

Not only are we cursed to be sinful by him, but any person can take a look at this curse also upon nature.

Any person denying this passing upon all men has a convoluted, unscriptural philosophy not based upon the Word of God.

Again, any person can see this curse upon not only man, but upon creation as well. Neither have escaped the curse of Adam.

19. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

Hello Winman,
    R7m is fine by me, as long as I understand it's me being addressed I'm good with that.
    As for the term conscience, I think Adam and Eve were already conscience of right and wrong, as Eve did tell the serpent of the warning of not to eat of the tree. I think they were more naive to the full consequences to the actions, but that would just be speculation.
    I think what Paul writes in Romans 7:9 is a good verse to look at.
    For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. Paul tried to keep the law and failed. It wasn't that he did not will to keep it, but it was because of the weakness of the flesh that he failed, (Romans 8:3)
    From what I understand here we all go through some sort of eye opening experience. The problem is when our eyes are opened we are disqualified from eternal life. That may be a problem for some, but I don't make the rules, God does.

Another few verses to consider is John 15:22 and 24;
    If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
    If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

Just some thoughts.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

You and I are very close on what we believe. I also believe we all go through an eye opening experience, I would call this the age of accountability.

Where we might differ slightly is that I do not believe we are born separated from God, but become separated when we knowingly and willfully sin. For instance, the 3 parables in Luke 15 all show a person originating with God, then being lost, then being recovered. The shepherd has 100 sheep but lost one, he searched and recovered it. continued...