1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Outrageous! You WILL be offended!

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by windcatcher, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a local story here in Cleveland. The woman was detained AFTER SHE was assaulted. She gave the police her deceased sister's drivers license that she keeps in her wallet as a memorial by mistake (due to the situation) and that is when things spiraled out of control. You can CLEARLY see her on the video asking the police "why are you doing this?"

Please have some kind of understanding before making outrageous comments :BangHead:

#21 webdog, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Did you watch the video? This woman was stripped naked by men. Funny the filmed everything but their request to change clothes isn't it? Still men stripping women is not right. Then theres the fact they wanted her to wear their clothes, why didn't they give her any to wear?
    She didn't say she was suicidal.
    If they did this to your wife, after she was assaulted and they were called to protect her, I'm sure you'd have a different opinion of her being attacked by men who stripped her and left her naked for 6 hours.
    Their illegal activity is on tape, it can not be denied, and there is no excuse for men stripping a woman as you have suggested.

#22 donnA, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  3. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I both read the little story and watched the entire video before I posted. It is certainly unfortunate that she went from being the victim of an assault to rough treatment in jail. But my point still stands: which is more likely to cause authorities to treat you more humanely, calm and reason or kicking and screaming? She didn't "ask" the police much of anything, she screamed things, like many drunk people do at the police, and resisted by kicking and squirming. We do not have the right to resist the police when we feel they have arrested us unjustly. Nearly everyone arrested feels it is unjust.

Nevertheless... In the video, there is a stripping, which she resisted with screams and kicks. The video shows no search. I wonder if there were not enough female officers available for them to feel she was "in control" to do the search safely. However, once the woman was securely handcuffed, the (at least one) female officer present should have been able to continue on her own if needed.

I do not know if it is against a law for male officers to strip search a woman, as others have claimed here. If it is, this is close enough imo, though there didn't seem to be much searching, only stripping. There should be an investigation and it should include the evidence edited out of this video.

It is probably good that some of you are willing to give her millions of your tax dollars, as that appears to be where this is headed.

4. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It is illegal. Also, it doesn't matter if she was calm. She's 125lbs. If one officer couldn't control her without help he needs to be fired.

More bad cop news.

Ohio cops

Bad cop news

5. Chessic

Chessic New Member

You mean "she" should be fired, correct?

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

If I were being held down and stripped by men I'd be kicking and screaming too.

7. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

That's the problem. These cops along with their chief should be fired immediately!

Unfortunately, this behavior among cops is far to frequent than is reported. Too many of them act like they are above the law.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I no longer give police the benefit of the doubt.

Some of you here know that about two years ago, I was assaulted and severely beaten, requiring a brief stay in the hospital and physical theraphy and PTSD counseling.

The New Castle County (Del) Police were so incompetent and corrupt (one of the officers actually perjured himself on the stand, claiming that one of my witnesses never came forward, even though the initial report shows that he did) that I will never look at the police the same way again.

9. Chessic

Chessic New Member

And if these men were law enforcement officers, you'd likely end up in jail like this woman did.

In this case, she was already in jail, and at least one woman was present. Personally, I think with her cuffed, the men didn't need to be there, but kicking and screaming only encourages them to stay and hold her down.

Police are taught what soldiers are, that protecting your brothers/sisters is priority one. I'm sure it can be very hard for male officers to step away from a struggling, kicking inmate/detainee and leave a lone female officer to handle the situation, even if the detainee is female. You also see this on the street where, if a suspect struggles with a female officer, any male officers present often act very quickly and harshly, protectively, moreso than they would with another male officer.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

These news stories keep showing up more and more.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then they should not have taken her clothes off until there were enough women. There is no excuse for this.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

I would not give police the benefit of the doubt, not at all. Not with drug dealing and pimping going on by cops, among other illegal activity.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

This woman was already in jail when she was forceably stripped by men. There is no excuse for this, and your trying to create one is disgusting.
    What if it were your wife that men decided to strip down, or your mother, or daughter? Is it still alright? There is no excuse for men forceably stripping down women.

14. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

Exactly. It doesn't matter what she did, she deserves to be treated humanely.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

what was this woman suspect of? I mean she was a victim, who was forcibly striped by men. they called the police to get help, and what they got instead was forcibly stripped. So much for getting help from those paid to protect us.

16. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

Those WE PAY to protect us!

17. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Chessic, I had avoided answering you directly until now: But you disappoint me in your attitude and judgement of this situation: You DO have a right to your opinion..... but disturbing is that on a board with Christian posters, if the only evidence was the article and the film, and we were a jury, I'm concerned that your 'respect for authority' would overshadow your own judgement of right and wrong...... of guilty or innocent.

The questioned asked was "Have you ever wanted to hurt yourself?".

What would be your honest answer? ...... What if you had such thoughts many years ago...... what still would be your honest answer? You think its a smarty answer that she asks a question? She asks a question to clarify the specifics so that she could answer!

ARE YOU OFFENDED THAT SHE QUESTIONED THE OFFICERS WITH A QUESTION? Then be offended that our LORD did the same thing when teaching and responding to questions....answering a question sometimes with a question.
    Take some basic courses in communication and you will find this is an important part of verbal exchange between persons, to ask for clarification, rather than try to read minds and answer when the question is ambiguous.

Specifically and professionally the officers could have asked "Do you have a wish or a plan to hurt yourself?" Now that would have given them an answer to base a reasonable assessment. But the wording of their question was designed to be ambiguous to get any answer on which they could carry out their authoritarian control.

They'd already ruffed her up at the scene without getting the complete story. They were already treating her like a suspect...... and her guilt was that she carried around a deceased sister's photo identification. IF they transported her without a prior search for weapons, sharps, chemicals, then they took an unprofessional and irresponsible risk in transporting her to jail for further questioning.

Once at jail, she could have been held for questioning, wearing her own clothes with perhaps removal of shoe strings, belts, shoes...... and if they thought there was a threat, her bra could have been removed without uncovering her. If understaffed, they should have called in female auxillaries.
    ======================

Another thing
    Who do YOU think is responsible and in control here?
    Are the police professional? Self-aware? The authority? Rational?
    The woman is already a victim. She has injuries. She has witnesses. What would any normal person consider is her likely state of mind under those circumstances? ....... Most people I know have enough life experience to already presume that she is likely to be emotional, preoccupied with the immediacy and shock of her recent experience, and likely to still be emotionally vunerable to any thing or approach which is perceived as a threat. A victim's rationality at such time is fragile and largely dependant upon the safety and open communication of those who present themselves as 'helpers'. Whether or not she initially trusted the officers, it seems apparrent there was no capitalization of her trust by them in the way they handled her explanation of wrong identification. But was this sufficient for them to create increased agitation in her, and a power struggle over?

Sure, false identification can be serious..... in some circumstances..... but don't the police have quick tools and communication between them and other sources to see if this is such a case? Should their approach to a victim be that of haste or patience? If their approach is in haste and they are quick to lay on hands..... do you think that their authority and power to do so is justifying? Personnally, I think the irrational self-preservation resistance of a victim already assaulted and upset, may be a justified and expected response to anyother threat that presents itself to harm. I'm surprised that she was convicted for resisting arrest. I may appear extreme in this regard, but if I were already upset, and in pain from recent injuries, and some stranger in a uniform grabs me and wheels me about slamming me to the ground and then up beside their car..... without probable cause.... it looks like a criminal act of assault, unconstitutional restraint, and provoking of any means I may have at my disposal to protect myself from further harm..... even at the risk of appearing 'resisting'.

The police may deny that this was a 'strip' search. But once all garments including underwear are removed, and there is visual exposure of genital parts, a strip search has been essentially completed as cavities were not concealed.

I'm very angry to think this occurs in America, by a sheriff's department or local police. I have a respect for law enforcement and some are in my familly, but I would be appalled and I could not condone their behavior in such a case! I would like to believe most LEOs have more professionalism..... But what is upsetting me right now, is the thought that there may be some who defend such behavior and don't see a line being crossed which is totally unacceptible in a free society....and is unacceptible in a community of Christians whether or not the society is 'free'.

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

Whenever possible I give law enforcement officers the benefit of the doubt. They have a very difficult job to do. But these guys seem way out of line.

Now I do not think this is a strip search at all. A good friend of mine works at our local jail and every incoming individual is strip searched during in processing to include a full body cavity search. The article specifically mentions that there was no penetration of the woman. You can’t do the body cavity search without that. Now there are a lot of rules that go along with that including the same sex provision (although we have had several jailers come out of the closet over the years). I do not think this was a strip search but instead the corrections officers trying to control what they considered to be an unruly inmate.

That being said it is clear that there were policy violations. This should be investigated and people should be fired. Others should be reprimanded and policies need to be reviewed and implemented. The county should be held accountable and heads should roll. BUT, this woman did not win the lottery. She is still a convicted criminal (yes she was convicted). She is a victim even if she is not an innocent victim. The county owes her an apology and should take steps to ensure this does not happen again. But I do not understand why they should owe her a dime in monetary compensation. Who is going to pay that money anyway? It won’t be the corrections officers. It will be the taxpayers of the county.

19. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

If we don't fight for civil liberties now when will we ever? If a "strip search" was necessary (I understand you dispute the term):

1) It shouldn't have been six hours.

2) Men shouldn't have been involved.

3) Her screams of "What are you doing to me?" should have been answered.

4) If the police want the benefit of the doubt then they OWE the public details which they've thus far withheld. I for one am sick and tired of brute force coupled with secrecy. That's a dangerous combination for democracy. We're not animals, we're not statistics, and we're not mindless plebians who are naturally indebted to the powers-that-be to both beg and thank them for any details that they feel generous enough to volunteer.

#39 Ivon Denosovich, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  20. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Which means more benefits of the doubt should be given for police! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.