1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

P - Perseverance of the Saints

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Skandelon, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Baptists have historically agreed on this particular point and even Arminius himself never actually denied this teaching. He questioned it based on some troubling texts, but never officially took a stance against this teaching. After all, we all agree upon the effectual power of regeneration, we just disagree on the order. Thus, once one is regenerated (whether through faith, or through God's unconditional effectual working) that individual will remain regenerated.

I believe the question, "Can you lose your salvation?" is the wrong question. The question should be, "If one appears to fall away from us, were they really ever of us?" I believe 1 John 2:19 answers that question very clearly.

What say you?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All those troubling verses, i.e. if you endure to the end you will be saved, are misinterpreted. Enduring to the end proves salvation, rather than providing salvation. This if you are saved, you will endure to the end. As pointed out before, those that go out from us, i.e. from the assembly of professing Christians, we not of us, i.e. were never born anew.

At each communion, Paul tells us to examine ourselves to see if we are of the faith. Thus, in our own heart does not convict us as phoney, if we truly and fully love Christ, and are striving to follow Him, we can have confidence we are born anew and will be raised on the last day.