1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Page cautiously optimistic about SBC, predicts shortage of traditional pastors

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Feb 20, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A lot of DOMs would agree with you too.

The SBC surveyed those in theology in seminary in the 1990s and found out that only 1/3 wanted to be traditional pastors. If times get tough we won’t need pastors as we know them now, but disciplemakers.

Jesus gave the plan and method. It is nothing new. It is simply making disciples. It doesn’t take a lot of money but it does take time and humility.

Several years ago I met with a church planter and he asked me why people would want to come to my church. I told him, “Because there are real Christians there.” He responded by telling me that does not work and that people come for entertainment. I told him that every church I pastored had seen more growth in quantity and quality than they had ever seen because I taught the people to make disciples.

People come for the real deal not some fluff they can get from some reality show. People come because they have spiritual and real physical needs not to get candy bars.

2. PeterM

PeterM Member

I am so very encouraged that the concept of disciple-making is central to your pastoral philosophy. I too hold to the principles of disciple-making and filter/funnel all other pastoral duties through it.

Bless you in your faithfulness to the Gospel...

Peter

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The strange thing is that seminaries claim to train pastors. The Bible teaches in James 1:22 that we are to be doers of the word. If we are not doers of the word then we are deluded. How does the seminary teach one to be a doer of the word if they only teach intellectual knowledge?

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Missionaries and seminary professors have been fired because they refuse to sign. I'll bet if you started preaching supporting something like woman pastors or accepting homosexuals with all others into your church you'd hear about it. What about preaching against eternity security?

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Then you are not Baptist.

And yet paul told timothy to preach the Word! 2 tim 4:1-4. The Word Pastor is biblical and necessary in both the Old and New Testament. If we remove the Pastor from the pulpit then we have removed Gods biblical mandate from the church.

It is false to say that in order to get rid of the problems of the church by we must remove "tradition". Tradition is not the problem. The problem is in the hearts of the people. We have set aside church discipline, we have brought on to out membership roles those who have not shown an authentic godly walk and in fact we have allowed goats into the church.

Catering to culture does not prove what is "authentic". But in fact proves what is not authentic. In the end the Emerging Church movement is a fad that will pass, as it should.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

yet the term pastor occurs once in the NT and is linked with teaching...interesting. Let me begin by pointing out I didn't get into my entire thoughts on this so do try not to put words into my mouth. I'm still saying that there will be teaching pastors in the NT church, I'm just suggesting that the buck doesn't stop with just them..but a plurality of elders/leadership in the NT church.

NOt only a teaching pastor, but also music pastors, education pastors, administrative pastors, and so forth...all of which work in cooperation within the leadership structure of a local church.

No one is saying we have to remove the roles, rather I'm suggesting that for the church to operate effectively in this century we might need to realign their roles and responsibilities to better keep them in stride with the NT thought.

Again I don't anyone is suggesting the culture should dictate our methodologies. Rather we can learn from culture which will help inform our expression of the function of church, while maintianing the core foundational beliefs. Besides the emergent church is just another subculture, imho a necessary one, but I don't you really understand the emergent church.

7. kmichael

kmichael New Member

Cheerio Peej, Cheerio........Page makes a good point, the seminary statisticians make good points, and you make good points. I especially like the earlier point that stated seminaries are not responsibile for creating "pastors." My pastor has had a ministry intern every semester for the last 5 or 6 years. As a Southern trustee, he is committed to the training of young pastors in a viariety of fields.

I am not sure that this is a "looming crisis" either.....other than the fact that we will never have enough "workers in the field." The whole emerging/traditional dicotomy within the SBC should not alarm anyone. It is not the worship style that kills a church. It is the tempurature of her heart. It is God who removes lampstands and it is God who places His men in positions of leadership within His church. Everyone needs to come together and worship God. We "young folks" have been so disenfranchized with the "old folks" that we have ignored then, shut them out, quit their churches, planted our own, and left the "least of these" to fend for themselves........and now we call them "dead." I too long for a multigenerational church who ministers to all generations.

One of my prayers is that God use me and my personality in a church that is dying. What greater joy could there be than to water and nurture a dying church while God breaths new life back into her. I would be the most blessed man on earth to be part of such a project. We have been planting and planting and planting over the last couple of decades.....all the while we have existing churches that just need a little love.

Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary has a DMin. in Church Revitalization.....anyone had any experience with such a degree?

K

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The current SBC leadership are aware of the problem and allow it to exist without any discipline or reprimand.

Who's liberal?