1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Palin's prayer remark angers former staffers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 28, 2009.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Getting back to the truth of the matter: The leftist media, and apparently some on this Forum, keep hammering away at Sarah Palin because she represents everything they are against and they fear her. This will keep going at least until November 2012.

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

No, you are wrong.....either diliberately or through lack of comprehension..... you are wrong.

Nowhere does it say she refused to pray with others. No where in what was said does it indicate that someone requested her to pray with them and that she refused. But this is the meaning of YOUR statement.

That she felt the need to pray ....perhaps for spiritual guidance and strength and courage to face the questions and the debates means she had a need..... and she considered those whom she knew who were present with her..... but they were not near to her for her to regard them as being one in agreement in praying WITH her in her time of need.

Some of you are trying to compare her with Jesus. Well....how does this hold up? Jesus set aside moments where he went aside with his disciples alone to pray: Such moments were private moments. These times did not include the crowds which followed after him by day. The disciples were the select few which he knew.... and were those who he chose to follow him.

Where do you find that SP had a choice in her campaign staff? How do you know that there was a Christian amongst the staff who would have agreed with her in prayer? Do we just put an ad in the paper asking for prayer when any of us have a prayer request or need.... or do we seek out personally some prayer warrior with whom we are already agreed in many areas? If we place our request before a group... is it just any group... like the Mormons, or Muslims, or Hindu, or is it those of our own faith and doctrinely agreed? Why should it be any different for Sarah Palin?

When Jesus went to the garden of Gessemine, did he take everyone or make a general invitation? or did he chose a select few? Even with the choice of a select few.... doesn't any one realize how deeply personal and aware he was of the shadow of the cross looming ahead of him.... and how difficult even to impossible for even his closest disciples to understand and fully agree with him as he labored in prayer to his Father on their behalf.... and also in preparation for himself for what was to come: He the holy one sent from heaven to earth..... was going to face death and feel the burden and the filthiness of sin for all mankind.... he who had lived a life so spotless, ever and always doing the will of his Father!

Sarah makes it clear: She had a prayer request.... yet there was no one who had so identified with her for her to feel comfortable in asking them to join her in prayer for her need. This is not the same thing as refusing to pray for others. This is not the same thing as refusing to pray with others. Had she asked anyone to pray with her..... how many would have offered.... is more the question. How many would have refused or waited for someone else to go first? How many would have used whatever was said or disclosed in prayer for later ridicule?

If any are offended...... let it be those who did not have the openness of testimony and witness for her to choose them from the crowd: If they are offended.... let it be with themselves and their own conscience.... and let them repent before God: Let them recognize that it is their own pride which allows such offense to be taken so personally....and if they are ashamed that they were not chosen..... then let it be their decision in the future to not keep their own Christianity so well hidden that it serves no purpose.

As on this board, in the forums in which I most commonly post.... there are a good number I would feel comfortable in making a prayer request.... but there are some which I would disallow or not choose .......if for no other reason than the way they interpret the posted statements of others to mean things which were not said. With those who cannot understand the simplicity of English, without twisting it to mean something different..... it makes me distrustful that they could possess spiritual discernment, understanding, and agreement..... if I have a spiritual need. I would pray for anyone who asks me..... but that doesn't mean that I would ask anyone to pray for me.

Palin's statement is insightful as to the company she had to campaign with more than it is an indictment of her. Likewise the criticism of some on this board is an insight as to those who are willing to add to the persecutions of other Christians...if only in words..... and maintain a defense for the worldly with which they identify with more through their actions and words. This is not about politics or two parties.....this is about spiritual matters and Christian identification with other believers.