1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parenthood, outsourced

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Aug 1, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

askM,

One of the larger Baptist churches in our city has the most popular daycare Center. When their old pastor was called into Missions for a few years, their new Pastor did a little "investigation" into the center and discovered that MOST of the children in the church's daycare were the kids of wealthy "stay at home Moms."

Seems the Moms were dropping the kids off while the Dads were at work so that the Moms could take tennis lessons, get their hair done, go to the gym, etc., etc. The Pastor said, "Limit it to working mothers or close it down." It infuriated some of the members of the church, but I thought it was wonderful!

I never wanted to work when I had children, but I felt I had no choice. Their Dad was a social worker, and I was the high-wage earner. I bent over backwards to give my children the most and the best time possible, and their Dad and I staggered our schedules so that they had even more time with at least one parent. When they hit school we were with them until school started, and one or the other of us was there when school let out.

I used most of my vacation hours attending school events and those teacher-planning-sessions and volunteering at the school. One day we got to comparing notes - Almost all the working parents showed up at schools functions and volunteered to help. The active church members who were stay at home mom's did a lot of the "during work hours" volunteer work, and we depended on them a lot. The other stay-at-home Moms didn't even show up for the school plays. They just didn't care.

Many people accused parents who worked themselves ragged giving kids lots of quality time at home were accused of "catering" to the kids but in my group of friends we all ended up with godly, wonderful children.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't see a problem with Mommy having some time to herself once in a while. In fact, I think it's healthy for her AND the kids to be away from each other a small amount of time.

If it's all right with Dad; what's the problem?

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Blessed at 16 - it wasn't 'once in a while' and it wasn't for an hour or two. You couldn't use the facility that way.

Basically, these women were enrolling their children in full-time daycare so they could play while their husbands were away.

4. I Am Blessed 24

Well, that's different, but I sure could have used an afternoon for myself once in a while in the 'good old days'. ;)

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Little Sluggers at Sportsarama sounds like piano lessons, ballet, tennis coach or math tutoring.

If you want your 3-5 year old learning tennis from Agassi or math from Einstein, you'll need to pay a premium.

Former major leaguers (while a dime a dozen) do have significantly more experience and professionalism in baseball than Jack who almost got cut from the high school squad who charges $44 a month. Although at 3-5 years old, there isn't really that much more a professional can teach them with that level of muscle development.

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I Am Blessed. -

That is what "Mother's Day Out" is for. [​IMG]

When I was at in Austin our church offered MDO two afternoons a week. Mom's could leave kids and a lunch for the kids and we'd keep the kids for up to 4 hours. We let the kids take field trips and things too, so everyone had Christian fun.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Paying $50. an hour for someone to make sure your child can 'cut' when he goes to kindergarten or paying $44. an hour so a retired major leager can work with a 3- 5 year old in sports is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard! That's for DAD'S ego. I'd like for you to introduce me to the 4 year old who would care if it's Mr. Smith from next door or Giambi playing catch with him.

[​IMG]

We are NOT talking about piano lessons for a gifted 4 year old or 6 year old who has shown interest or tutoring for a child who is behind but these YUPPIES think they're going to give their child a 'head start' in life because of meeting some old dude who used to play ball 20 years ago or cutting on the line at age 4?

What they need to do is contact La Leche and learn for free about breast feeding. A good nights sleep? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Mommie needs a few hours away? That's what husbands/ Daddies are for!

Like I said, we have this within our close family but out of state.

Best Buys now has specific stores where Mom comes in and sends the kids to a 'daycare'. She gives her list to a personal shopper. She then gets a massage, her nails and pedicure done, facial, etc. and the kiddies are taken care of while mommie gets pampered and the shopper picks out the items. Give me a BREAK!

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

$44 would feed two starving kids in Africa for two months.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So what? I don't base my economic decisions upon how much it costs to feed someone in another country.

10. I Am Blessed 24

Not if husband/Daddy is in Heaven. Raising four children alone - I would have loved a 'day off' sometimes...