1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parenting advice, please

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Nov 29, 2009.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We only had one kid, so I'm probably not the "been-there-done-that" parent.

However, l once did a study of Proverbs and concluded that 100 out of 915 verses dealt with words. More than ten per cent of the book on Wisdom tells us how to talk! Maybe a study of Proverbs with your kids would help. Such verses as, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin" are heavy artillery! :type:

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It is rude and disrespectful to not use a quiet tone in common areas of the house, unless there is something going on that the majority are involved in or do not mind. Think board games in the living room or something of that nature.

Noisier talk and play should be done in their own rooms or a special area of the house, and if one wants to be very loud, that is what the great outdoors are for!

I have tried to make the kitchen area my own. I don't want someone in there unless they're cleaning.

I also get very frustrated. I do have my ways of handling stuff though. Sometimes I just leave and go for a walk. I think the two youngest have finally learned that if they are noisy on Saturday morning (my day to sleep in) I won't cook a hot breakfast.

Make expectations and make the kids live up to them. If they keep talking loud after you ask them to be quiet, have them go write a story since they like words so much. I have one child who DOES talk even in her sleep...she also won an award for creative writing. I think part of her ability came from making her write when she couldn't quit talking. :laugh:

Of course, you could always just stop and yell "OKAY, EVERYBODY SHUT YOUR MOUTHS FOR THE NEXT HOUR OR I WILL GO TOTALLY INSANE AND BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!" However, it will only work for a few seconds and then they'll all start discussing the different possibilities that could happen and asking what it will be and making up what it could it and wondering who is gonna get to wear your watch while you're locked up in a straight jacket and then they tear the place apart looking for your will to see who gets the watch forever if you never come back.

Does that help? :tonofbricks:

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

good luck. Yep, picking the right battles...that's half the battle in the parenthood thing, eh?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

There is much truth to that because you will miss it big time when it's 'grown up and gone'.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hey, thats about 90% of parenting. Choosing the battle and not revealing your battle plan to them :)

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

This thread has been very interesting. Each parent deals with noise in a different manner. One thing remains the same, however----kids are noisy!

At this very moment, my house is quiet. I can hardly believe it. BUT.... when they ran out the door to let off some steam outside, they left a mess behind them. I can't win. It's either mess or noise.... I'll have to think on that one. LOL!

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer the Homer Simpson philosophy: "I believe that children are our future...that's why we must stop them now!"

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Spinach - Every once in a while I think of that "someday" when my house will no longer be noisy with children and will stay clean when I clean it. I look forward to that season of life but know that at that time, I will dearly miss this season of busyness, noise and mess. So I try to do my best and get rid of clutter (biggest reason for mess), motivate and teach the children to clean up after themselves even if it means extra attention and work from me and then just enjoy the season I'm in. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that we are to just allow the kids to run rampant and do what they want - it's our job right now to teach them manners, respect, basic cleanliness and neatness.

One idea that I have for you would be ..... have you ever seen The 21 Rules of This House by Gregg and Sono Harris? It's good - really good. I'd highly recommend it. There are 21 solid rules in the house, coloring pages for each rule so you can teach them to the kids and a "jelly-proof chart" of the rules to put on the fridge. It really saved my sanity here in our home. Look into it. It just might help!

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to tolerate mess. 'No one is going anywhere till this mess is sorted.'

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't mean to be rude here, but I think what you're doing is the equivalent of sitting down at am italian restaurant, and beign upset over the fact that there is no dim sum on the menu. I think it's unreasonable to have multiple kids and expect them to be quiet in perpetuity. Kids communicate, and they're noisy when they do.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think any parent of more than one child expects silence - but when many are together, there is no reason for all to be speaking at once. In daily life, there will be noise, no question and we need to just accept much of that but I do believe that there are some guidelines to noise that SHOULD be able to be made in a family so that it's just not a constant barrage of loud noise and it's reasonable to want to change that. :)

I also find that there are periods of time in my life where noise (and clutter and so many other things) bother me more than others. I don't know if it's something physical, emotional or what, but I can definitely deal with chaos better at some points in my life than others. I wonder if Spinach has ht one of those "bad" places right now.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've "only" got three, and can attest to the volume level. One thing that might help is if the adults have a private area. My wife and I have a bedroom that has a suite in it (couch, sitting area, etc), which is where my wife goes for solutide, and for prayer. I myself have a part of the backyard setup as my reading area. It's next to a small waterfall feature (during the summer, I even have fish in it!!). I go out there, toss on some headphones, and do some reading. That's my quiet time.

13. Servent

Servent Member

While they are doing chores sneak off to the porch and enjoy a nice cup of coffee or tea. Or just join in on the conversation they will think you've gone nuts and be quite.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

That's the problem with you females...you're "all over the map."

You're goal should be to be like us men-folk...

grumpy 100% of the time.

:eek: :D :D

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oops - I dropped something - sorry!

:tonofbricks:

16. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Perhaps unreasonable. I haven't decided.

I don't expect silence. But it sure would be nice to keep the noise to a dull roar and not have everyone speaking at once.

17. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Someday we will have this. For now, however, we sleep in the family room (hence the 8o'clock rule).

I am working on a small area in the attic, though, so when I get that ready I'll be able to go off by myself and have some quiet time.

18. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Could be. I do tend to yo-yo with it all. Some days are handled better than others.

On the clutter, our house is pretty clutter-free. Has to be. With this many people in this size of an area, it's either us or the clutter. So by mess, I meant that when I told them to go run outside a while, they left their books/coloring stuff right where it was, took off to the mud room to put their shoes/boots on (leaving the dirt clods from the bottoms of their shoes behind), and took off outdoors. Yes, I could have called them back in to clean up their mess. Yes, I probably should have. However, the silence was golden, so I delayed the clean-up until they came back in. :laugh: