1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passive Occupy protesters take pepper spray blast

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

So, some in lower Manhattan do wrong, so it gives the police department the right to pepper spray other protesters.

Why don't you just admit that you don't care what the police department do to these protesters because you don't agree with what they are protesting.

Several years ago our church was involved in many abortion protests here in Houston. I'm certainly glad the police department here didn't resort to these types of tactics.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You posted the back-pedaling comment after I mentioned that I had never said what you indicated that I said; thus, my seeking clarification for what you were posting the comment about.

Nope, I'm not back-pedaling at all. Show where I've said that the police or military would never violate the people's freedoms or rights.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You bring up an interesting question: why didn't they resort to those types of tactics?

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You don't remember me saying several weeks ago how the military would move against the people and how you took offense at it?

5. Max Fenster

Max Fenster New Member

I don't know who is right and who is wrong, but I'm very glad to see young people passionate and willing to stand up to authority for their beliefs. I thought this had been brainwashed out of most young people. Happily, I'm wrong.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what I took offense to, as I re-stated in this thread.

BTW: you keep coming back to "the military is going to move against the public"; that's only partially correct. It won't be the military in charge of such a situation, only used for such a situation.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I bet I have the largest ignore list on the board.

Four? Can't speak for the others but I've got Bro. Curtis beat!

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Typical political rhetoric. I was just following orders. Now I wonder where I have heard that before? Perhap Nazi Germany or any other nation that stomps on the rights of the people? :rolleyes: By the way the following orders was and is my point. Our military and police are brain washed to do what ever they are told even rip away our rights, liberties, and freedoms.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, "based on historical events." But not necessarily historically accurate. Mrs. Moore never delivered a telegram. She did start following up with the families of soldiers who were killed while serving in her husband's battalion, but that was all. And every other ombudsman did the same thing. I served with another Lt. Col., who did a lot more, but never got a lot of recognition for his heroic actions. I had the privilege of spending the day with my old friend about 9 months ago when he was here in town. He is 89 years old and still as active as he was 50 years ago. Google "John Vessey."
    So, you are saying these cops are willing to violate people's rights just because they get paid for it? When I wore a badge I refused to violate anyone's rights or enforce an unjust law. A man who will take money to violate the rights of others is not someone to look up to. He is to be identified and removed from office!

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You tell me. There were a couple of arrests during this time. Everyone didn't do exactly what the police said, but no one was pepper sprayed.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I heard you espousing it in a thread a month or two ago.

Like shooting at a speeding automobile that is approaching the checkpoint of a military base. Shooting first and asking questions later was the approach you favored in that circumstance. Now I see you are changing your tune.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Don't disobey the law, don't taunt children and don't attack police and maybe you won't get pepper sprayed.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because more than likely they didn't disobey the law.

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet again, you speak out of both sides of your mouth.

There was a conversation some months ago where I and others tried to impress upon you that questioning orders was not only a good thing, but a duty and a responsibility; your response at the time was that a troop couldn't be guilty for following orders.

Then there's the conversation that Targus references, where you advocate snipers shooting civilians; one has to wonder how you would respond if one of those snipers refused to follow orders.

And now you bring up that the military would be to blame for following orders.

You're just a bundle of self-contradictions, aren't you?

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So--either the people you were with didn't behave the same way, or the police in your area are different for some reason, or something else?

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that what you would have told the marchers in Birmingham in 1963 or Selma in 1965? Or is that what you would have told Peter and the Apostles in Acts 5:29?

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, Mrs. Moore isn't in question here. Second, I have yet to find anything that contradicts the Army using taxi drivers; because, as you pointed out, they weren't prepared. Third, the point is not about the use of taxi drivers, but a man doing a job that wore at his soul--but had to be done.

I, too, have had to deal with death while on active duty; albeit, not the same circumstances nor to the same extent as you.

No; what I'm saying is, when you wore a badge, what would you have told the chancellor that requested you to remove a safety hazard? If your shift supervisor made the call to respond, what would you tell him/her? Why don't all policemen think the same? Why does one policeman shoot, and another doesn't?

Let's not forget a certain point: these were campus police.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, Tom, I have to ask: 1963 and 1965 were about civil rights and unjust laws. Peter and the apostles were about salvation. How are these similar to what's happening today?

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have asked, "What safety hazzard?"
    I would have refused to violate anyone's rights or to enforce an unjust law.
    Because some are mercenary and some are libertarian.
    Some are addicted to the adrenalin rush that accompanies such activity and some are not.
    Campus police in California must be POST (California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training) certified to the standard of CPC (California Penal Code) 830.2b. He has no excuse any more than Craig Peyer had an excuse for his unconscionable conduct.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter and the Apostles, in Acts 5, was about being told it was illegal to do as they were doing. They refused to obey an unjust law. We should learn from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.