1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Anointing

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by GEMJR, Feb 15, 2003.

1. GEMJR

GEMJR New Member

How can you tell if a pastor lost his anointing? What are some scriptures to support lose of anointing?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anointing? Please describe what you mean and the NT basis for this, then some might reply.

Thanks. [​IMG]

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd strongly suggest examining yourself and your motives first. Don't be hasty. Give the Lord time to work in both of your lives, convicting and discipling. Some scriptures that may apply:

1 Tim. 5:17-22 (ESV)
    ...[19] Do not admit a charge against an elder except on the evidence of two or three witnesses.

1 Tim. 3:1-7 (ESV)
    The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. [2] Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, [3] not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. [4] He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, [5] for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? [6] He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. [7] Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

4. GEMJR

GEMJR New Member

Anointing is God gift that you have been call to preach.

5. GEMJR

GEMJR New Member

I hold the same poition as you. When you drive the fock away and do not care. Turns a death ear. Bring a negative message every Sunday. States he communicate up to the lord and not to the members or deacon.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

GEM Jr. you said:
    The Bible says:
    Scripture tells us that the flock will 'turn away' and that they will run to the 'teacher's' who will tell them what they want to hear and not what God's word says!

Can you give specifics about sermons that have angered and driven away church members? Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because of your thread about women pastor's.

Diane

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for some NT Scripture. Other than that, we are just talking about our feelings and perception. And then my view is just as good as your view.

My contention is that this phrase smacks of pentecostalism or some unlearned baptists who think of some vague, abstract, mystical or parapsychological experience. "I feel it, Lord" just doesn't cut it in the NT.

WHERE does the NT talk about Pastors being "anointed" is some way/manner/means. And when do they "lose" it?

Thanks

8. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Be carefull with the use of the word "annointing" Benny Hinn has another way of using the term, which means the physical empowerment of the Holy Spirit. TO lose that would suggest that a Pastor is outside of Gods will on purpose.

10. Angie Miller

Angie Miller New Member

[​IMG] AMEN watch out for that one!

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob Griffin wrote:
    While “anointing” is an incorrect word, a currently used and popular word may be “calling” (yet even it may carry an “abstract, mystical or parapsychological experience” concept).
    Since GEMJR hasn’t responded yet I’ll give the best verse I could find.

1 Tim. 4:14-15 (ESV)
    Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. [15] Practice these things, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress.

Should the question be: How can you tell if a pastor lost his gift? The answer would have more concrete answers.

Rob

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Rob for clarifying this. Being 'gifted' by the Holy Spirit for ministry is God's work, not mine.

God gifted me for ministry. He can chose a donkey for Balaam, so Bob is only a step lower. :eek: