1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastoral Ethics Question

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Dec 7, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Experience tells us that there are many church hoppers thatt bounce from place to place looking to control things and cause problems. It is a sad reality and if you can find that out upfront then you are prepared to handle it.

I need to correct something I said earlier in this thread. I said I had never had a pastor call me about such a thing and that was wrong. There was one occassion. About a year ago I had a lady from another church in my association start attending. Her pastor, a man I have a great deal of respect for, called me to tell me that she had been to numerous churches in the area looking to cause problems for the pastor and control things. I was very polite to her when she attended, but I never visited her or made any sign that I wanted her to join our church. After a couple weeks, she moved on to a new place.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't add to this, Tom. You saved me a lot of typing.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying. Obviously, they can go and come as they choose. There's a couple of reasons why I would want to know.
    • Hebrews 13:17 is clear that I will give an account for the people I lead. The phrase is "they keep watch over your souls"
    • If they are visiting elsewhere - and my assumption is that if they visit a church 2 or more times they are looking for a new church home - they are unhappy with the church me, their SS teacher, their ministry or something. And I would want to know that.
    • I also believe that membership in a local church is a committment to that church. It's a committment of presence, time, finances, ministry and many other things.
    I don't understand why it's different for people to be absent from a start up church than an already existing church? Isn't the committment still the same?

4. Snoopy

Snoopy New Member

This bothers me. If you don't know this pastor or situation personally, then you are setting yourself up to possibly gossip. If the people are unhappy in their present situation, they might just need a break until they decide what they should do. Do you tell the people you are going to call their pastor or talk about them behind their backs? If you don't know the people or the pastor, who do you believe?

People have a responsibility to inform their former church if they are leaving and why. Give them the opportunity to do so before you rush to make a phone call or pass judgement.

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although there is no requirement, I believe it is common courtesy to tell your pastor why you're leaving a church, but most I know of never do. It would sure help if we knew why someone would leave so that we can address a problem (if there is one), but most never say a thing.

I'm not as concerened about someone leaving my church for another church - if they can best minister to them, that's find. I get concerened about those that leave and never attend any church. But, that's a whole 'nother issue.

6. redbelt

redbelt New Member

I agree with Snoopy. My fear is a pastor may lose the trust of his people if he shares information with a second pastor. Confidentiality is important. Perhaps a pastor could simply say whether the couple left on good terms or not. Waiting to see what else is said concerning this.

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

I am not so sure that just because a person visits someplace else 2 times it means they are unhappy. Curiosity sometimes? A sense of calling? When I was a teenager, my family and I assisted with a mission startup. Wasn't because we were unhappy.

Re: why it is different for people to be absent from a start-up. I was just referring to the practicality of what it takes to open the doors.
    For example, a couple of months ago, I was absent from the church of which I am a member. The church functioned without me just fine. The doors were still unlocked and locked back up, the thermostats adjusted, lights turned on and off, etc.

However, my husband and I have also helped with some mission churches. We had to take turns with other people if we needed to be gone, or the doors literally would not have been unlocked and the chairs put out, etc.

8. Karen

Karen Active Member

Snoopy,
    You made some good points here.

Also, are the pastors on this thread saying that most people don't request their church letters when they move? I have always requested mine. My present church regularly grants letters and receives new members by letter. Maybe pastors and churches need to spell out these procedures more clearly.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with calling the other Pastor. We call it "fishing in another man's cupboard" which is a big no, no. Remember, you reap what you sow.

Now I have a couple of families I would like to recommend other Churches but that is a different story.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For the church I am at now, a letter is almost worthless. To become a member one muct give evidence of a relationship with God through Jesus Christ by giving their testimony and have been baptized by immersion. The night I became a member was the same night a lady in the group became a Christian after she heard everyone else's testimony and realize she did not know Christ. I too have led Baptist church members to Christ over the years.

11. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Is the church "my" church or ÿour" church? When did God give it to us? I thought it was His.