1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastors carrying guns

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wasn't jesus sayin gin the good sameritan parable that we should look out for welfare of others, just as if we needed to be helped ourselves?

If i see a man raping a woman, can either walk away, pray about it, call 911, or else jump in and try to break it up?

And that jumping in to help is the preferred option!

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I deny that I live in fear. I deny that I'm paranoid. Is that a protestation?

I'm glad you have travelled the world and seen many things probably - and have never run into that kind of trouble. A lot of that has to do with "not looking for trouble," and I'm sure you credit that to the grace and protection from God Himself. Praise God for your testimony.

Having said that, there are also many that are well travelled and have to many "difficult" places, and do not have the same story you do.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is evidence that the word "sword" was added to the original text at a later date.

And Christ did not mean it literally for each person then and now. He is referring to spiritual warfare. And he did in the garden criticize Peter for using a sword.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I absolutely agree with this statement.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    if Charles manson and his family had attacked your home, to kill your wife and kids off...

Would they get the "lets talk on this", or a 12 gauge between their eyes?

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No, there is not. Some bishop objecting to the word is not "evidence." The word "sword" is present in the earliest manuscripts. That it comes at the end of the sentence should not surprise anyone with the least bit of knowledge of the Greek language. There is NO reason for believing it was added.

Purses and cloaks are literal. Likewise should the sword be understood as literal; this is made clear, for when the disciples say that they have swords, Jesus says that they are sufficient. He didn't say "oh no, that isn't what I meant."

And no, Jesus did not criticize Peter for drawing his sword. He told him to put his sword away...not to get rid of it. He then stated that anyone who tried to stop His crucifixion would die, because it could not be stopped (any who draw the sword, will perish by the sword." That was not a universal principle, but a warning to the disciples not to try and stop His crucifixion.

We serve the God of the Old Testament. The God who said things like:

Exo 32:27 And he said to them, "Thus says the LORD God of Israel, 'Put your sword on your side each of you, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and each of you kill his brother and his companion and his neighbor.'"

Your liberal revisionism cannot change who God's word says that He is, and what we are to do. The man who does not physically defend the weak, is a coward, hiding behind his pseudo-christian religion.

7. Monster

Monster New Member

You certainly are very selective about what you respond to with this first paragraph. And you certainly take liberties with the words of others in those responses. I'm doing okay with my side of the dialogue, no need to inflate what's there, if I need help with it I'll ask you.

- You've assumed I wouldn't protect my wife because I question the need to carry a gun to church, the store, where ever?

- You've assumed that I can only protect her via firearms? I'm a big dude with an interesting past, I don't necessarily need a gun in most cases. Do you recognize the other possibilities of self-defense, not involving hot lead and that don't end in likely death or serious injury for an opponent?

- What's your address? I could use a decent laptop, new TV or even a nice house? And thanks in advance...this one is tongue-in-cheek of course, I would never harm someone over "stuff" or take "stuff" that's not mine. But I will defend the peace and safety of my home and those that dwell within.

And for your second point; I can add sinner to my ever growing BBB labels, thanks! You like to unleash that rudder of yours, don't you? (see James) Just so you know though, Satan does a pretty good job of reminding of my sinful ways already, but you can pride yourself at being his recent helper in my life (although I don't recognize my lack of carrying a firearm at all times as sin). And interestingly enough, if not carrying a gun to defend myself is sin, would carrying a really-really big gun make me really-really righteous? Me thinks your logic bucket has a few leaks.

You still seem angry, is that the righteous kind? Or not? I figured you may want to peruse James a bit more while your there, it has a little something to say on the subject of anger.

And as parting albeit, slightly cheap-shot; do you ever wonder if George Zimmerman has second guessed his decisions? I do. He may have been perfectly justified, I don't know but if I were in his shoes (paper slippers probably) I'd imagine that I wished I had a can of pepper spray or maybe a blackjack rather that a hard caliber. Just conjecture on my part, not a judgment by any stretch.

#107 Monster, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  8. Monster

Monster New Member

But of course we serve the God of the New Testament too, right? He said a little something about how the entire law is summed up? That's always so inconvenient to consider isn't it?

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not at all. "Loving your neighbor" would include putting the bullet in the head of their attacker.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Because you make up reasons not to; you have guns. You said you would use them in defense of your wife at home. You said that, not me. So why would you not do the same at the store, or church?

Bro, I am an ex self defense and Taekwondo instructor. I have a second degree black belt, as well as holding belts in Japanese Jujitsu and Ninpo. I don't care how bad you are; if someone is being mugged or attacked at gunpoint, or even knifepoint, your options sans weaponry, is very limited.

Glad to hear it.

I didn't say not carrying a gun is sinful. Not protecting one's spouse is sinful. And criticizing others for doing so, or questioning their motives, is sinful.

Don't forget that the Holy Spirit also points out sin in our life.

I am not at all angry. I am just sick of people attacking others who are simply following a Biblical mandate. I am even sicker of people who hide behind religion to justify cowardice.

Nope. I'd rather have the gun, and aim for the knee. Plenty of people will walk through pepper spray like it isn't there.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to be your only answer. There are many ways to defend your wife and children other than shooting someone you believe is threatening them.

I can see nothing in the life of Christ or in his teachings that approves of your sentence above.

12. Monster

Monster New Member

See now, I agree with just about everything you just said, even the tone is milder and for me at least, is easier to respond to. I hope that doesn't sound patronizing or come across as smug. I just love to ask questions and challenge people to consider their decisions, choices and stances. It's often responded to with defensiveness or hostility but we move forward and grow, eh?

Some of the best growth in my walk has come from the iron of others sharpening me in the same manor. I don't think I'm that good when I'm on the receiving end but I'd be a lesser man for not having my "spirits tested".

Wifey just called me for dinner, must go! Thanks for chatting, I'll be baaaaack!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.