1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors....Too much power?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by shinninglight, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

I am not the one who violated the Board rules. You say you are Pentecostal. Perhaps you should seek the truth and be honest where you post. Since you are not Baptist, don't post in a Baptist Only thread.:tear:

2. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

It is very common in Pentecostal circles for the monarchial pastor to claim and be granted too much authority.

They will even claim it, and be granted it, outside the confines of congregational life.

My understandings is that in some Baptist congregations, the monarchial pastor claims similar levels of authority. In others -- I dare say most -- s/he neither claims nor is granted inordinate amounts of authority or primacy.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

In many denominations it is traditional or least acceptable for the pastor/leader to pragmatically own his ministry. Two obvious examples are Billy Graham and Whatshisname in the Crystal (Palace).

4. eightball

eightball New Member

By the way, I thought that the elders of the church would be the first to monitor the teaching elder/pastor?

Deacons are defined in the N.T. as taking more of the servants role in keeping the church running smoothly, and fullfilling it's commission and also meeting the needs of the body.

I do realize that every member of the body has a responsibility to talk to their brother in Christ if they think their brother or sister is straying from scriptural teaching.

Sadly, in the case of a pastor going off-beam, most church members are intimidated by the pastor's stature/influence that he exerts with the congregation as a whole.

Also, sadly, many pastors will basically, smile, hear your concerns, and then drop it in the dead card file, or start to avoid conversing with you.

I've seen it too many times where church leadership recedes into a "bunker" mentality, instead of a attempting to maintain transparency.

Yes, pastors do sin, as all Christians do, but they are held to a high standard, as teachers to the flock. That's why when a pastor/teacher falls, it makes a loud thud, compared to one who is in the pews, and drifts away from scriptural tenents in their life.

Also the falling of a pastor/teacher if it is do to his sin catching up with him, does have a cleansing affect on the body of Christ. Many realize that they have been puting too much confidence in the teacher, and not enough in God. When their favorite pastor falls many Christians fall into dispair, adn disappointment. God has just reminded us that man is fallible, but He/God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. :)

5. shinninglight

shinninglight New Member

Eightball, I couldn't agree with you more. You state,

"I've seen it too many times where church leadership recedes into a "bunker" mentality, instead of a attempting to maintain transparency."

This is so true in the Pentecostal and especially in the fundamental Baptist churches.

You also state," Yes, pastors do sin, as all Christians do, but they are held to a high standard, as teachers to the flock. That's why when a pastor/teacher falls, it makes a loud thud, compared to one who is in the pews, and drifts away from scriptural tenents in their life."

Our friends who a attend a fundamental Baptist church in Canada and who just lost a pastor are now having to deal with the possible facts of sinful acts by the pastor. Its a real sad story.

Finally you state," Many realize that they have been puting too much confidence in the teacher, and not enough in God."

How true it is when congregants raise a pastor to that of a pope and forget the word of god. How many times have we seen members worship a pastor to the point he is infallible? Another sad fact of believers.

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

The NT Church was not any kind of power base at all.
    A group of friends met, usually in a home, someone hosted, of course, someone or another taught them, others "shepherded" either them or oversaw various groups, and they supported apostles and evangelists (not stationary hired "professionals" who then decided to go on "missionry trips" or "speaking engagements"; regular "conferences", etc). And then the guilt games when congregations are perceived as not paying enough. Ending in the person threatening to leave for "greener pasteurs".

All of this today is patterned after secular business and government. It's just easier to "run things" that way; because we're so used to it.

7. shinninglight

shinninglight New Member

Eric B states, " not stationary hired "professionals" who then decided to go on "missionry trips" or "speaking engagements"; regular "conferences", etc). And then the guilt games when congregations are perceived as not paying enough. Ending in the person threatening to leave for "greener pasteurs"."

How so very true. How many pastors put the guilt trip for tithing and missions. Some pastors who sit on missions boards also have their pension fund contributions from the mission board tied to the amounts given by their local church. A big conflict of Interest. The more your church gives the bigger the pension.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

How would you know. You are a hypocrite.
    You have never been in a fundamental Baptist Church according to your own testimony. That is not much of an authority is it.
    Speak for yourself not for others.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

not sure that abusive pastors with too much power and authority are limited to fundamentalist churches, I know locally most of the very worst will be found in pentecostal or some sort of charismatic church. And yes I've been in them.