1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul: Exposing the True Isolationists

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jul 23, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exposing the True Isolationists

by Congressman Ron Paul(R-TX)

July 23, 2007

Last week, I wrote about the ideology of globalism and how it underlies certain government policies. Managed trade agreements, international military adventurism, and amnesty for illegal immigrants all emanate from this ideology.

Yet globalism has a consequence that is, if we are to believe the rhetoric of its greatest proponents, entirely unintended. Globalists often label those of us who resist their schemes as “isolationist.” Yet it is, somewhat remarkably, the globalists themselves who promote policies that isolate our nation from the rest of the world.

In terms of modern politics, isolationism is not so much an approach to American foreign policy as it is the result of the policies enacted by proponents of globalism. From offensive statements about “Old Europe” (as differentiated from “New Europe”), necessitated by the desire to justify a military presence in Iraq, to conflicts at the WTO, the flowery rhetoric of the neo-conservatives often takes vicious turns when unrealistic policies meet with reality.

In their hopes to remake the world in their image, the globalist elite who run much of America’s policy-making apparatus simply further isolate our country from the rest of the world. By claiming a moral superiority that is so evidently absent when the effects of their policies are witnessed, neo-conservatives have made America seem hypocritical to many abroad.

America is now held in low esteem in many nations, not because we follow our own interests, but because the elites make claims that are not reflected in reality. They have, for example, undertaken economic sanctions in an entirely new way in recent years. When they wanted to take aim at Iraq and Iran, they imposed sanctions against those countries, but also against countries doing business with those countries. This meant we were in no position to negotiate with our adversaries, and we also could not rely on support from our allies.

Yet this globalism often bumps into itself, because of our second party sanctions against Iran, our international commitments to the space station, for example, were put into jeopardy. Also consider the fiasco that happened as a result of sanctions on Iraq. Thousands of Iraqi children starved to death, causing (according to the 9/11 commission report) great resentment against America, yet some managed trade was allowed to continue, managed of course by the globalists in the UN oil for food program. This program resulted in yet another UN scandal.

Despite the protestations of the neo-conservatives, this UN program is not the only example of personal enrichment that comes to the mind of those who doubt America’s authenticity due to these policies. Does anybody remember Richard Perle’s resignation from the defense policy board?

To reset the debate in a way that reflects reality, it is important for us to reject the idea that the choice is between globalism and isolation. Instead we must stand firm for national sovereignty, constitutional republicanism and international cooperation. We should realize that America’s current isolation is simply a consequence of globalism gone awry.

- www.house.gov:80/paul/tst/tst2007/tst072307.htm

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Old Ronnie doesn't get it. Some people cannot be negotiated with. it is a false and delusional ideology that if we will just give them what they want they will work with us. This is the epitomy of insanity.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with your assessment. Just look at the mess that President Bush's bellicosity had made of U.S. foreign policy in general and Iraq in particular.

These United States do not need the consent of other countries to act internationally but we do need the help of other countries to succeed in international relations.

You, Timmy, are the true isolationist. It is the policies that you support that have isolated these United States from the rest of the world.

#3 KenH, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

First off the US is not as isolated as some would have the masses believe. I was in India in March. I found out that 80 percent of them believe the President is an honorable man and when he says he will do something he does it.

Those who do not like us are leaders in countries like France. When we went into Iraq we cut off their illegal money supply. This is true of the United Nations. We cut off the illegal supply to Iraq that propped up Saddam all these years. How soon we forget.

Those who speak the loudest are those who have lost illegal monies. As far as our policy toward Israel well I do not care how many people do not like us. And ken we will have to agree to disagree on this. I do not hold the contempt you do for Israel. Israel is the victim in that area noit the other way around. and the United States mis the only reason why it still exists at all. If people do not like our support of them to balsted bad.

In the end old ronnies position is as liberal as the day is long. I am sure ronnie and that coat tail chaser could shake hands on this one.

#4 2 Timothy2:1-4, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

YOU found? You did a scientific poll?

If this is true, maybe Bush should go be President of India. His numbers here are in the 20s.

Could it be the way the US villified the French when they wouldn't join Bush's invasion?

I don't think you'd know a liberal if he bit you on on the butt!

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...managed of course by the globalists in the UN oil for food program. This program resulted in yet another UN scandal."

If he's in favor of getting us out of a "globalist" run U.N., I'll have to re-evaluate my thinking about Paul. I might start to :love2: him.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It would not surprise me to hear that Bush is popular in India. I would expect that they're quite appreciative of all the middle class American jobs Bush has sent their way. You may find a similar result if you poll the Chinese.

I thought Sarkozy likes us.

Who is the coat tail chaser and what do you have against Congressman Ron Paul's son? What is Ronnie Paul's liberal position that you are referring to and what office is he running for that makes this relevant?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "When they wanted to take aim at Iraq and Iran, they imposed sanctions against those countries, but also against countries doing business with those countries. This meant we were in no position to negotiate with our adversaries, and we also could not rely on support from our allies."

It appears that Mr. Paul is OK with sanctions, so long as they don't work.

Or maybe this means he's against all sanctions. Not sure which.:confused:

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) A statement made out of emotion and nothing else obviously.

2) I support Israel as an ally of these United States.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahem. That ain't saying much.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

It really would be insanity. That's probably why Ron Paul doesn't hold to that ideology. But you go ahead and keep working hard to make yourself and others think he does anyway...mkay? In the meantime we can keep giving them what they don't want, namely death, destruction, occupation and puppet regimes firendly to transnational privateers.. That sounds like a safer and saner policy. Doesn't it?

#12 poncho, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Ronnies statements from the article doesn't reflect your .....statement.