1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pauline Epistle not by Paul

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by thegospelgeek, May 4, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you are mixed up in your approach to history in who the rationalists and liberals were. The dispensationalism of Darby fell on the heels of German rationalism. Progressive dispensationalism fell on the heels of the dispensationalism of Darby. Now the dispensationalists of today are evaluating the finer points of progressive dispensationalism.

While I am unable to agree with the liberals, it was they who brought to us the way conservatives interpret wisdom literature.

2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Never said it was a version thing. I only mentioned the KJV incidently.

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What in the world has "dispensationalism" to do with higher critcism and German rationalism??? I thought the subject had to do with higher criticism.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

History of theological positions.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul's letters often credit a scribe and many consider Mark to have been Peter's scribe. One question is how much editorializing the scribe actually did. And did the scribe complete letters that were incompletely dictated. We will never know.

But the questionable authorship of individual words and sections in scripture (and whole books like Hebrews), does not affect their acceptance as holy, inspired, trustworthy word of God that has been preserved for us today.

Just to note that I was not aware of any questions of authorship of any specific Pauline epistles before reading this thread.

6. RAdam

RAdam New Member

The difference in Hebrews is the author is not named. There are many books of the bible where the author is not named. There are many where the author is named. When the author is named, that must be who wrote it, otherwise the scripture is lying and cannot be trusted.

The problem is, again, some people don't totally trust scripture. If Galatians says Paul wrote it, I believe he wrote every word in Galatians. If 2 Peter says Simon Peter wrote it, I believe he wrote every word of it. Scripture cannot be broken. The only reason in scripture that a book isn't completed by the author is if he dies, like Moses in Deuteronomy.

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only say that if some of you have doubts about God's word. Why believe any of it? Didn't Christ say a little leaven, leaventh the whole lump. If it's wrong just a little bit the whole of it is wrong. If God's word can survive man translating it in so many versions and the gospel still shines through. Then God kept His promise to preserve it.
    MB

8. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

That my friend is the whole point of this thread! How can someone say it is lying in one point and beleive the others. It is infallible! When the book says Paul, it was written by Paul.

I have seen people hold the non-Paul authorship on this BB, but they are few. I was suprised when I discovered a Nazarene board, while doing some research on their doctrine, where almost every member felt that someone other than Paul wrote them, even though it is clearly stated.

I previously held the Nazarene church in high esteem, but after reading several threads about various subjects I found it scary and disturbing. I realize that not all and probably not the majority of Nazarenes hold to the liberlism on that site, but it certainly points the direction the denomination is headed in.