1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Penal Substitution

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Jan 15, 2012.

?
  1. It is correct and a primary doctrine

80.0%
  2. No it is not and a dangerous doctrine

6.7%
  3. Believers who do not hold to it must be separated from fellowship

26.7%
  4. I do not hold to it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I do hold to it

46.7%
  6. It is not worth breaking fellowship over

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup: very well said. Michael..offer some of your scriptural reasons for your claims

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I would still like an answer since you accused my doctrine to be "abhorrent" and "harmful." You made the accusation, but I haven't seen why. Don't cop out by playing the victim roll. Just backup your accusations with facts.

#62 jbh28, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    we have also seen these ideas before...we do not understand Mw;s allegations

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I read some objections.

Here they are

1. All sin must be paid for. Sin cannot be simply forgiven and not paid. We are forgiven and pardoned by us not having to pay for the sin. Christ was our substitute. Without it, justice would not be. Romans 6:23

2. Who are the innocent? No one is innocent. Romans 5:12

3. Except that an infinite God was the one suffering and the one that died.

4. Paul answered this: "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."
    (Romans 6:1-4 ESV)

#65 jbh28, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some quotes from ECFs on Penal Substitution. I quoted one earlier:-

1. Justin Martyr: Dialogue with Trypho the Jew
    Eusebius of Caesarea: Proof of the Gospel.
    Gregory of Nazianzus: Fourth Theological Oration.
    Ambrose of Milan: Flight from the World.
    Plenty more where those came from. Not that I regard the Fathers as our authority; the Bible is our only authority. But I give these to nail the error that Penal Substitution was not taught until Anselm.

Steve

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

It is quite evident, from all the quotes I've seen used that supposedly support penal substitution as a Biblical or earliest church doctrine, that some do not understand the differences between substitution and penal substitution. If you don't, I would suggest further study on the matter.

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

As I said in a post on another thread, it is not my intention to inflict personal pain on anyone because they hold to a certain doctrine. I have strong beliefs, and I state them strongly, just as I expect others to do who are passionate about a doctrine.

I have been asked to give examples of how penal substitution is harmful. I'll give one: myself. Having grown up in a fundamentalist, Calvinist tradition, when I became old enough to think for myself, I became deeply disturbed by what I had been taught. To make this not unnecessarily long, I can just say that learning the New Testament definition of the "atonement", or more correctly, "reconciliation", and discovering what the earliest churches and the church fathers taught, saved me for Christianity. I had renounced my earlier beliefs and became briefly an agnostic -- perhaps even more briefly, atheistic -- but then I discovered the General Baptists, the Anabaptists, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and much later the ancient Celtic tradition. When I discovered that penal substitution and other related doctrines were basically Reformed innovations and aberrations which were almost totally absent from the early church, I was overjoyed. Plus, reading the Gospels re-introduced me to whom Jesus really was. All of this was like I was seeing Jesus and the Gospel message for the first time. Chains fell off me and the fog cleared from my eyes.

I have a close relative who right now has become an atheist because he was raised very similarly to the way I was, and he has simply been unable to continue with the belief system he had. I've been trying to talk with him, to show him that those beliefs are not the beliefs of the Bible or the early church, but he won't listen. In fact, he is so poisoned that he doubts everything now, even the historicity of Jesus.

So, yes, I strongly maintain that these doctrines are very damaging. They are "johnny-come-lately" doctrines, just as is the dispensationalism which says that the church is merely a parenthesis in history, to be removed so that God can deal with the true center of his plan, the political nation of Israel! At which time the temple will be rebuilt and the priests can begin anew the slicing of animals' throats.

Now I realize that not all fundamentalists are dispensationalists, and not all who believe in penal substitution are fundamentalists. I am merely trying to answer why I think these doctrines are abhorrent and harmful. I hope these personal examples have done that.

Also, my true spiritual grounding was given to me by my parents, two of the most Christlike people I have ever known, so the "bad" things that happened to me were in now way because of them.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Might I suggest that it is almost always wrong to toss out the baby with the bathwater?

Probably not in your case, but perhaps you can reflect on the ACTUAL PRINCIPLE espoused by the penal substitution and realize just how LOVING and GRACIOUS an act it really was/is (for it is as current as the next individual for whom Christ died).

We, who cannot on our own efforts, be saved must rely on another -- Jesus Christ -- and we who cannot "will" ourselves into God's eternity, must depend solely on another -- Jesus Christ -- to open that door for us.

As God sent His Son, Jesus -- to suffer and die in our stead -- He demonstrated the most possible loving expression of grace and mercy in that He took our sin and became sin for us, and He in turn imputed His perfect righteousness unto those who neither deserve nor can earn that gift of mercy and grace

This beautiful picture may indeed be taught and preached by persons who are not themselves beautiful people -- for their sin, for their usurping His power, and for the destructive tendencies they exhibit amongst God's people -- and yet God's grace and mercy are the same. He GIVES what we cannot give and He alone saves in a way that we can barely fathom, much less apprehend.

When we toss aside the biblical picture of God's love because SOME PEOPLE of whom we may be looking to INSTEAD OF GOD, then it is not God's fault for the tossing... It is ours, for we have removed our vision from the Savior to the people who are never the Savior.

I believe that is indeed what you have done. And in so doing, you have indeed tossed out the baby with the bathwater!

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then, help me out here, Michael. Explain to me how the examples that I've given are of substitution and yet not penal substitution. It might also be good if you told us what you think penal sunstitution is, because I've got a sneaking suspicion that you actually don't know.

Steve

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thank you for your fine post. I think you are wrong -- I have not thrown out the baby with the bathwater. And I don't think the examples you have given teach penal substitution.

But I very much appreciate the manner in which you made your post, and your explanations were very good.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I can assure you that I do know what penal substitution is. Since the mid-1970's my passion has been the doctrine of the atonement, and the resurrection, because these were so central in determining first if I could be a Christian, and secondly what kind of Christian I was going to be if indeed I could be one.

Please read the article I referenced; that's all I can provide right now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_substitution

My mature views on the "Reconciliation" are best summed up in the "Christus Victor" view of the atonement, which was an expanded version of the Ransom Theory, the view held by the earliest churches.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonement_(Christus_Victor_view)

Although some modern liberals have embraced Christus Victor, I am not a liberal, and this is not a liberal doctrine.

I sort of wish I could get into long debates as I have in the past on various boards, but to tell you the truth, I am worn out from debating and also health problems. That's why I'm resorting to quoting these short articles.

Over the years, I have vigorously debated Roman Catholics, Episcopalians, Calvinists, fundamentalists, dispensationalists, Pentecostals, Charismatics, Methodists, and others, but I finally grew weary of it, among other things.

I don't want to fight with anyone or engage in personal attacks; I hope all will forgive me here if I have strayed over the line. It's just that when I think back to where or how I might have ended up if I hadn't discovered early church doctrine, I become passionate about this all over again.

But even so, I think it's more important to "love the brethren" than to be right. And I hope to see you all in heaven someday.

#72 Michael Wrenn, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thank you Michael for sharing your thoughts and particularly for the links. Blessings

14. mandym

mandym New Member

You are going to have a hard time being taken seriously that you know anything if you are going to source wiki. Especially if you are not wanting to be tied to the "liberal" label.

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Actually, in disavowing all that is disavowed, the liberal stance is a given.

But our poster no longer wishes to debate the issue further, so we should just let this one (his participation anyway) slide.

16. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sad to see the conversation have this predictable end.

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Michael, are you going to address my post? You've really not said anything but called it abhorrent. You gave a personal example, but never said why it caused you the problem, just that it did.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The wiki links reference scholarly articles.

But so be it. I have spent countless hours, and years, studying church history, theology, and original writings and sources to get to where I am now.

I'm just tired.

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thank you for your post. Blessings to you, too!

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Great gravy man, if his limited interaction leaves you tired than I have no idea how you've been able to sustain lengthy engagement at a (truly) scholarly level. Also, btw, just saying you've "spent countless hours" again and again and again then justifying by posting to Wiki doesn't do you case much good. Just saying...:thumbs: