1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensacola Christian College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JRG39402, Feb 20, 2006.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

I am planning on going to PCC? Have any of you been there? Have anything to say if you have?

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I personally would not have gone there if you paid me. I went to Cedarville University and that was quite restrictive enough for me. I understand some people are fine with that kind of control, though--as long as you know what you're getting into! Have you talked to people who have gone there or are going there? Have you visited?

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ha Petrel! I was so rebellious . . . *sigh* I went to a big state uni. I would never have made it at a small Christian college.

I teach with a guy that went to PCC and he got a good education. He's also a joy to teach with.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My daughter graduates in May.

If you can stick to your convictions and not be forced into a mould while at the same time practicing godly submission to authority you can get a good education at PCC.

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I would encourage you to look elsewhere.

Save yourself from sorrow.

PCC will not let you get to know what they are really like ahead of time. Folks, say, "As long as you know what you are getting yourself into." But that's not possible at PCC. Ask to see "all" of their rules ahead of time. They won't let you see all of the rules ahead of time.

I don't deny that there are good people who teach, work, or attend PCC. But that's beside the point.

It is not a healthy expression of Christian community. I think C4K's post hints at that.

Please, for your sake, consider somewhere else.

6. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

What do your parents and Pastor recommend? I consider PCC to be on the liberal end of the spectrum of colleges I would consider recommending. A "Bible" college should be a ministry of a local Church, and I don't think PCC is, but I might be wrong. I also believe that your membership should remain at your home Church while you are in college, not at a Church the college chooses for you.

Pastor Mark.

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

My goodness, Mark! If PCC is on the liberal end, I'd hate to go to a conservative school!

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Wow! I've got to agree with Paul33 here! I don't think we could define conservative if PCC is considered liberal.

9. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Well, I've read this!

JRG, why do you want to go to PCC particularly? I am of course biased, but I think that Cedarville University would be a good Christian college to go to that doesn't stack up too many arbitrary rules. I don't know how the costs compare, unfortunately.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JRG, your profile says you are SBC. I would suggest avoiding PCC like the plague. I'm not thinking that PCC will parallel any form of SBC life.

11. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Pastor Mark

PCC does not force you to join any church that you do not want to join. In fact, they prefer you to keep your membership at your home church if it is sound biblically. Other than that the Campus Church is available to any who choose to join.

The rules are strict, no doubt, but, if I am sending my teenage girl somewhere far away, I want those rules to be strict. While I do not endorse any school 100%, PCC does not take lightly the trust that parents put in the administration for their watch care over their children.

PCC is not for the faint of heart! If a young person can complete a four year degree there it says something about their character and stick-to-it-ness.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My daughter's membership never moved the four years she has been there.

I would be hard pressed to recommend PCC to a prospective student, but will not stand and condemn it either.

I will be there in May for my daughter's graduation.

13. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    uh.......
    one of the rules was that you could wear a hat outside, but not at a sporting event.

What's the deal with that?

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

I have counseled a few students who have gone to PCC.

Not one of them had a positive experience. These were good Christian kids.

Far too pharasaical for my tastes...rules for the sake of rules.

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Mike,

If we do our jobs well as parents, our children ought to be able to live as spiritually mature adults in whatever setting they find themselves.

My daughter attended a community college at age 16, lived on the campus of Auburn University, and then managed my home in Auburn when I moved away. Today, she is 18 and lives in her own apartment, is a junior, and is getting ready to marry a fine young Christian man.

Character and stick-to-it-tiveness is evidenced by moral and biblical grounding and the ability to function as an adult.

Living in a rule bound inauthenic bubble does not seem like the place to let young adults grow and flurish as adults. By age 18, our kids should be able to stand on their own and make their own decisions.

I was never more proud of my daughter then when she visited BJU, stayed a night in the dorms, and then observed that BJU treats their college students like children.

The very fact that you can add that PCC requires "character" and "stick-to-it-tiveness" is a telling admission that it is not a healthy place to let young adults mature.

Just my two cents worth. I mean no disrespect.

17. insuranceman

insuranceman New Member

PCC and the Hortons act as if they are the vicar of Christ. My daughter met a young man while enrolled at PCC. They became engaged and wanted to get married and continue their education there. Because she was not 21 or a senior, PCC gave them a choice, either stay single and remain enrolled or marry and withdraw from the school. This despite the blessings of both sets of parents. PCC chose to impose their narrow minded rules over the God ordained authority of the parents. I would never recommend that any young person attend there. I am thankful my daughter and now son-in-law chose to ignore the self righteousness of PCC. I now have 4 grandsons. Maybe I should send old Arlen a thank you card.

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rules seem to apply only on campus...can't tell you how many times (when I lived there for awhile) I have seen PCC students (can pick them out a mile away) standing around the bookstore watching that evil thing known as tv at the magazine stand. There has to be better places in my opinion.

19. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Folks, my post was only intended to answer the statement about the church issue. No school is perfect. Every institution and its administration will have to give account of their stewardship and ministry. I have no doubt mistakes have been made and will be answered for. I have heard unbelievable statements made about just about every Christian College out there. I like to go by the old saying, "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see."

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

After four years of my daughter being there PCC would not be my first choice of a Christian college.

However, I am not going to sit here and bash them in public. If this young man is interested in PCC he should visit with his parents and ask some questions, then decide.