1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensacola Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Phil310, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Anyone on this board have experience with Pensacola Christian College or Pensacola Theological Seminary? http://pts.pcci.edu/

I'm considering the Doctor of Ministry with them once I complete my Master of Arts in Religion with the Baptist Missionary Association Theological Seminary (www.bmats.edu)and some more graduate studies to qualify for the Army Chaplaincy.

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

A friend of mine (young couples minister at our church) went there (MDiv). He seems to have gotten a good and balanced education.

3. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I think balanced is good. I'm also considering sending my son through their undergraduate program. Do you know of any other Christian schools that are accredited and will accept PCC's credits or recognize a degree from their?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Be sure the Army will accept your hours.

5. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Concerning my hours...I've already been through that with the Army. Right now I'm a Chaplain Candidate. They require and MDiv or a Master's Degree in Religion or Theology with a minimum of 72 hours. I will have 75 hours when I graduate in May 2007.

Thanks, gb93433, for the interest. Do you know of any bumps for which I should be aware?

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd double check with your sending (or whatever the Army is calling them these days) agency to make sure PCC meets their requirements. Though PCC wouldn't be a problem for the agencies I'm most familiar with. But you never know. Remember Hammerin' Norm Abrams advice:

7. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Amen. Thanks SR. I'm going into the Army on the basis of my accredited degrees from Liberty University and the BMA Theological Seminary. The PTS degree will be persued while serving in the military once I'm settled in, which will be in about a year or so.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Phil,

Why PTS? Tuition? Program?

Why not Liberty Theological Seminary?

9. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Paul33,

Good question. Actually, Liberty Theological Seminary is another I'm looking at. Yes, the tuition is better at PTS but that is not the main reason. Right now I lean more to their position on the textual issue. While I'm not KJVO or even KJV perferred (I do love the KJV though) I lean toward preferring the Byzantine text. PTS does not consider themselves KJVO but only use the KJV.
    I don't have any hesitation for LTS either. I could very easily wind up going there for my advanced degree.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phil310,

Squire is giving good advice.

The military wants MDiv work from regionally accredited or Association of Theological Schools accreditation. If you go to a so-called unaccredited seminary they may not consider you for the Chaplaincy program. They will also (generally) not accept a less than 90 semester hour Master's degree in leiu of the MDiv.

Secondly, for most instances, the Doctor of Ministry is built on the 90+ semester hour MDiv degree. This is FYI if you did not know.

Thirdly, one must have three years post MDiv full time ministry experience b/f being taken into the DMin program. These are requirements for most if not all ATS schools.

I wish you well and hope this small bit of information helps.

sdg!

rd

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phil310,

I looked over the comments made above. Please forgive. I am not trying to intentionally mind your business.

Please forgive.

sdg!

rd

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I have a friend who is going to Pensacola. He says they offer a pretty good education as long as you don't mind a bunch of unbiblical legalism.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HoG, PCC's rules and regs aren't any more rigorous than the Military Academy at West Point's or any of the other military academies. In fact, I joke about West Point on the Rock River (aka Maranatha BBC), The Citadel on Wade Hampton Blvd (aka BJU), or Frunze (the Russian Army's school) in the North Woods (aka Northland BBC). But then I went to MBBC after a four year enlistment in the Coast Guard. The nit-picky rules and regs were a piece of cake after life in the barracks.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

It's all a matter of where you've been, isn't it!

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is. After all, what constitutes a "snow day" that closes all the schools has one definiton in Fairfax, Virginia and another in East Lynne, Mass.

16. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Snow days? What are snow days? We don't even close for blizzards. Serously. Our first snowfall last year was 28 inches. We've had two blizzards so far this year. The last time we missed a day of school was when the busses were vandalized.

The impression I get from my friend is that the rules at PCC are supposed to be to promote a godly life. The rules at military schools are to instill discipline. It's the basis which bothers him, not the rules themselves.

17. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and information. And thanks, Rhet, for your input as well. Much needed. I'll take a closer look.

Phil310

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

My experience has not been good with profs, students, and alumni. I would not recommend Pensecola to anyone. There are far better choices out there. Some have been mentioned. Rhet's input was well said and worth saying.

19. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

TomVols,

What experiences have you had with profs, students, and alumni? Are they personal issues or do they represent all of the faculty, students, and alumni? Thanks.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

And a whole differnt meaning in Atlanta, GA. I was shocked on the first day I moved to Atalnta from Northern Virginia (October 30, 1993). We received some snow fluries (literally a few flakes blowing around in the wind) and the radio stations were talking about school and business closings. :rolleyes: