1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perfect Roast Beef

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Cathode, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    15 minutes per pound or 450gms , medium rare.

10 minutes per pound, rare.

Initially cook for 20 minutes at 220 C or 430F, then drop to 330F or 170C and then start your roasting time.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marinate it with a Guinness or some cheap Aussie brew… anything except that crap panther piss Bud Lite. Note to anyone with taste buds that Guinness has just 10 more cals and it has actual flavor! Brewed in Ireland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh and don’t forget the potatoes, turnips, carrots & a large onion! Optional but I like either brown bread & butter or sour dough bread ( lightly toasted ) … don’t forget another draught pint to wash it all down…now dats living! :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m hoping one of you will come here and cook one up for me!!

I’ll be more than happy to eat it

it sounds like you know what you’re doing, but you’ve never cooked me one, so I don’t know?

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds good, looks good. If I'm going to use the oven to cook a roast a favorite way to cook it is 'salt encrusted'. Lay the salt (along with blk pepper and granulated garlic) heavily to the roast externally and bake to the desired internal temp. Delicious and juicy.

Although, these days, with the advent of the 'smart pressure cooker' (Instant Pot), I opt to use the electricity and save the propane by not firing up the oven (especially in the summer) and experiment with it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well if you do fire up the gas oven. It’s gas mark 7 for 430F and mark 3 for 330F.

Not sure if a pressure cooker will give you the same result.

I put stab cuts through the top of the meat and stuff garlic slices and rosemary in them.
    Salt the cap fat as well.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That’s what I meant about ‘experimenting’. The surfaces of the roast can be seared in the Instant Pot prior to pressure cooking with good results, AND, liquid smoke is amazing stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You can feed quite a number of people with an 11-12 pound roast beef. Just cut up ciabatta bread slices or rolls for sandwiches.
    Have the usual sides to put in the rolls with it. Gravy as well.

We do them for street ministry lunches down at the river sometimes.

Aiming for ‘ When I was hungry, you gave me roast beef ‘

Well people used to get the cheapest nastiest sausages and cook them on the bbq , burn those sausages, and then offer them to people on cheap white bread.
    Are we going back to burnt offerings to the Lord I said to the organisers. Got replies to the effect, ‘ it’s free, they can’t complain ‘.

What we give to people, we give to Jesus, would you give cheap burnt sausages to Jesus our Lord and King.

People need to escape a little bit from their sufferings. So I picked a nice place by the river that we could bring people. They can eat nice healthy food, lay on the grass and watch the boats drinking fresh apple crush. All very pleasant and a relaxing reprieve.

We can do better than just ‘ something to eat ‘, we can give them the sacrament of friendship, good food, and a beautiful place by still waters to revive their spirit. It’s biblical and it works.

We don’t know how many days like these we will have with the Lord here, but giving good food is an excellent way to show Love to The Lord.

“ you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.“

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Give it a go, and let me know bro.

11. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Generally we roast beef with a couple of onions in the tray, it infuses the dripping.

Save some dripping for the gravy.

Also use the dripping to roast the potatoes, carrots and pumpkin in another tray.

A couple of pints is generally enough to wash down a roast beef dinner, although many people are drinking a bottle of Shiraz or Cab Sav with this type of meal.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I try to save the LP for heat in the winter, so I've gravitated to electric countertop appliances such as Betty Crocker Pizza Maker (good for baking all kinds of food), George Foreman Grill, Instant Pot, Presto cooker, Cosori air fryer, Vitamix blender, all of which can be powered from my solar backup source in the event the grid goes down.

Amazon.com: Jackery Solar Generator 1500 1534Wh Capacity with 4XSolar Panels SolarSaga 100W, 3x110V/1800W AC Outlets, Ideal for Home Backup, Emergency, RV Outdoor Camping : Patio, Lawn & Garden

13. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Can you get an electric wall oven? I’ve got a couple but run a stove top on gas.

Also I can use the wood stove to heat the house water in winter, have the water piping through the firebox , but the summer we have sola hot water operational.
    Wood stove can cook our food, heat the house, and heat the water in grid down.

Huge amount of firewood on the property.

We live on rain water tanks so doesn’t matter if water grid goes down, not connected.

Outdoor kitchen is all wood fired, pizza oven, bbq, spit pit etc.

Large veggie and herb gardens which are growing year round, and the orchard and nut trees are big producers, mostly for the markets.

It’s good you are thinking in terms of grid down scenarios.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll check that out. I want to keep all appliances at <1500w input, which is the limit on my portable Jackery power pack.

I burnt wood for over 40 years but my home insurance finally forbade it, so I had to take down the triple wall pre-fab chimney and store the stove in the corner. BUT, I still have both, and if the grid were to go down in a big way I'd be back into wood burning regardless of what home insurance forbids.

We've lots of firewood here also, and our water supply is an 11,000 gallon rainwater cistern I built in 1988.

15. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you can find a way to precisely regulate roasting temperature, I found the above method extremely accurate. The results were perfect.

16. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It’s a winner, did another large roast beef, it worked out perfectly, people really enjoyed it.
    These timings are absolutely optimal.

Keep these timings in your cooking notes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea why, but liquid smoke gives me insatiable heart burn.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about your luck. I resisted for years trying it because I thought it was like artificial flavoring, but it's actually very naturally made from wood smoke. A lot of the Instant Pot recipes called for it so I checked it out and found it to be great stuff, in the right amounts.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My MIL comes over the house with a Sour Braten she just cooked from one of her German families resipies … the key ingredient is to marinate it in cloves, onion, and white vinegar. And it’s great!

so I get the bright idea to replicate it only I marinate it over night and cook it, with the marinate, in a slow cooker for a long time. This turned into a roast beast tasting like vinegar. Now I’m going back to Guinness as my main ingredient. Entirely too much vinegar!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, a cistern! I’d like to do that also.

• Like Like x 1