1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Performance Guidelines for "Lordship" Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

There is only one kind of salvation, what you call gospel salvation. It is also eternal. It requires accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior. There is no other way set forth in the scriptures. Are you claiming that there is more than one way to reach heaven?

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I too have the same question as Baptist Believer. Are you saying that some will be saved having never called on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ? I don't read of that anywhere in the Bible. Romans 10:9-10 is very plain and simple. This second salvation carries Calvinism far beyond any Biblical teaching.

3. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Lou, LS is new to me. Would you say that JM's views of LS is similar to Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship?

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

This is what he really says in a sermon entitled "true Belief."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know who the classic illustration of this is? The Prodigal Son. A perfect illustration. The Prodigal Son is a picture of an unregenerate, unsaved person. He was created, as it were, in the world of God. He had a lot of available resources that the Puritans used to call "Gospel Privileges." But he decided that he would walk away from God, turn his back on God, as the son did on his father. And he went off into a far country and he lived and wasted all of his substance, and he just "lived it up." "Wine, women, and song."

He wound up in a pig pen, eating "pig slop." He had all the world's fun, he engaged in all the world's sin. But he said, "I don't need to do this, I am going to go to the father." And he pictures the sinner in the midst of his sin, who is devastated by what he finally has come to understand. He is bankrupt; he is devastated; all the world's pleasure brought him no satisfaction; he is sinful; he is hopeless; he has nothing to show for all of his energy and effort.
    He goes back to the father and he is very humble. He comes back to the father and says, "Father, forgive me! Just take me back and make me like one of your hired servants. Make me a slave. I don't deserve anything more than slavery. Just take me back!" What is he saying? I tell you what he is saying, he's saying, "I submit to you!" Isn't he? "And I break my allegiance to my past master."

Secondly, he is saying, "I long for a relationship with you, I want to draw near to you!" Remember he ran up to his son, and what does it say, "His father saw him, ran up to him, threw his arms around him" and did what? Kissed him. The son longed for that relationship. And then what did he say to his father? "Father, I have sinned against you." And what he was saying was, "cleanse my hands and purify my heart." And then as he looked at the misery of his life, he said, "I am worthy only to be your slave." There was a man who humbled himself in the presence of God.

That's the picture of the sinner. Having wasted his life and come up with nothing, he comes back, and he says, "I want to give you my life, you control me, I am the servant, you are the master. I want a relationship with you." He longed for the embrace of the father and the kiss of love. "I want to be cleansed of the wretchedness of my sin. I'm done with the frivolity of life, I want to take it seriously and I want to do my part to serve you, in your house."

And, do you remember what the father did? Did the father say, well reluctantly, "You've been such a wretched guy, but I will let you in." No his father took him in, and what did he do? He said, "Not only will I take you back, you'll not be a slave, I'll take you back as a son." He said, "Get the ring, put it on his finger, get the best robe, put it on his back, call the musicians, get the festival ready, kill the fatted calf, we are having the biggest party we have ever thought of having, because, this my son, who was lost, is now found."

And what is that in James' words? Look at verse 10, "Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and he will tolerate you!" Is that what it says? "He will what?" "He will exalt you!" You see He resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble. He gives grace to the humble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being humble before God means giving Him all the glory as our Lord. That's what the Prodigal son initially did to his father.

"I want to give you my life, you control me, I am the servant, you are the master. I want a relationship with you." He longed for the embrace of the father and the kiss of love. "I want to be cleansed of the wretchedness of my sin.

But God (represented by the father in this parable) restored him to a meaningful life in Him and saved him from his former dead-end existence.

#24 JustChristian, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  5. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Dear Nunatak:

Ther are many I need to reply to, but have time for only one, maybe two tonight. Since you are new to the discussion I want to address your question first.

I am not well read on Bonhoeffer's book. I, therefore, need to reserve comment on any comparison to MacArthur's Lordship Salvation.

I did, however, write an article that addresses the issue yuo ask about. Please read, John MacArthur's Discipleship Gospel

One other I might recommend is by Pastor George Zeller, The Relationship Between God's Grace & Lordship Legalism

I hope these are helpful.

Yours faithfully,

LM

6. nunatak

nunatak New Member

LM,
    Thanks, I will study it.

7. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Promise for a Promise

BB:

I wrote,
    Your citing MacArthur, which follows, is another clear example of the promise of commitment for the promise of eternal life "exchange" that the LS message is.

8. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Do the Reading

On that passage canadyjd asks,
    This is why men who have not read any of MacArthur’s major apologetcs on Lordship Salvation should do their home work, by reading what the man has to say, FROM his books, before trying to defend that which he does not understand.

The answer is the title of his book:
    What Does Jesus Mean When He Says, "Follow Me?"
    THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO JESUS

MacArthur is telling what he believes the response of the unaved must be to “THE GOSPEL.” And his message to them is, “Commitment, desire, surrender,” in “exchange” for eternal salvation.

If jd were to read MacArthur's book, as I suggested to him months ago, he would also know that in context MacArthur is discussing not just the cost to be a Christian, he is talking about the cost to BECOME a Christian.

I was not my desire to embarrass canadyjd, but if he wants to truly grasp what LS is, as defined by John MacArthur, and have any chance at being taken seriously, he needs to buy AND READ The Gospel According to Jesus.

My hope and prayer for him, and any brother in Christ who has been deceived by the teaching of any Lordship Salvation advocate, is that he would be recovered from the grasp of these egregious errors.

LM

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, since the quote is from p.148 of his book, I thought you might have found what the person was responding to somewhere around p. 148, instead of in the title.

You are correct about one thing. If I am going to find out what the context of the quotes are, I'll have to buy the book.

peace to you:praying:

10. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Dear BB Readers:

I know men who will not read books on either side of the LS debate because they do not want be forced to make a difficult decision about previously trusted friends. pastors and fellowships. MacArthur mentions a incident just like that in his own sphere of influence.

The weight and force of what I am documenting is irrefutable because it is from MacArthur’s own writing and in context of what he believes the necessary content of the faith that results in the reception of eternal life.

MacArthur is defining what he believes is required to be born again. He front loads faith with commitment to the “good works” (Eph. 2:10) expected a born again disciple of Christ. He says salvation, the reception of eternal life, is conditioned on a “commitment, a promise of submission, surrender, obedience, following cross-bearing, a willingness to die for Jesus sake. Every one of these conditions, which he says must be in “exchange” for salvation, run like a thread through all of his LS apologetics.

Incidentally, I did share the context from p. 148, but only enough to encourage you to do the reading yourself.
    To you jd: I want you to understand that I hold no personal animosity toward you, but you must try to rein in your rhetoric and do the reading before you attempt to defend what you do not understand.

I am going to do what I can to protect unsuspecting believers from falling into the trap of Lordship Salvation, and Lord willing, see men like you recovered from it.

LM

#30 Lou Martuneac, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are either two types of salvation spoken of in the Bible, or there is one salvation with two aspects.
    Eternal salvation requires nothing from its beneficiaries. This aspect or character of salvation, or this kind of salvation, was planned by the Triune God in eternity past, in order for Him to separate a people unto Himself from the fallen race of Adam.
    These people were saved for heaven, not for earth.
    This is the salvation spoken of by Paul in Titus 3:5, and in many other verses of similar purpose.
    The people who are recipients of this salvation are scattered all over the earth, in all chronological generations, and divided from each other either by race, chronology, politics, economy, religion, creed, tongue, geography, and topology.

On the other hand, gospel salvation, or time salvation, is based on the recipient's faith, repentance, obedience to the gospel and to gospel instruction. This kind of salvation is temporal in character, and depends on the ability of gospel teachers and preachers. This is why Jesus Christ sent out His apostles: to preach the gospel and to teach those they preach to what He, Jesus Christ, has taught (read your great commission and see if any mention of soul salvation is made).

When Jesus said those who believe shall be saved, He does not mean salvation from the wrath of God or from the penalty of sin. He has already done that, and duplicating His work is man's idea, not His. What He meant was salvation from the wrong religions and creeds and beliefs that those whom He redeemed were caught in either by birth, circumstance, or any other earthly reason.

Remember that in His time, only Israel, of all nations in the known Roman and Greek world, and the nations beyond this known world, worshipped the One True God and Creator, and when He came and condescended to live among them, Israel crucified Him, so in essence, there was NO NATION on earth who really knew Christ and the Father save those whom He had gathered together as His first church and as His disciples.

That is why the true Israel is the Spiritual Israel, composed of both Jew and Gentile, and whom He has redeemed already. The eternal salvation of all whom He came to save is a finished deal, but not their timely one, and even this latter aspect of salvation is limited by the ability of His apostles, and thru them, those in the ministry, to reach His people.

Not all to whom the gospel was meant will be reached by the gospel in their lifetime here on earth, but all for whom eternal redemption was authored will be benefited by the eternal character of this salvation.

12. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Putting the Thread back on Topic

For those of you who want to discuss Calvinism and Covenant Theology, may I suggest you open a new thread.

Thanks, and this is the restart of Lordship's Performance Guidelines for Salvation

Following is another example of Lordship Salvation as expressed by Dr. John MacArthur, but this time from outside his major apologetics, such as The Gospel According to Jesus.
    Dr. MacArthur is stating what he believes are necessary requirements to be born again. The use of phrases such as, “salvation begins…” confirms this. His Lordship message to the lost is that for salvation they must make an up-front commitment of absolute “submission” to live in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ. John MacArthur’s Lordship Salvation conditions the free gift of God on a commitment to performance of the “good works” (Eph. 2:10) expected of a born again disciple of Christ.

In his new book, Getting the Gospel Wrong Dr. J. B. Hixson (Executive Director of the Free Grace Alliance) addressed the above quote by MacArthur. Hixson’s response is found under a chapter titled, The Performance Gospel, pp. 304-5.
    There are numerous examples, such as the one here from John MacArthur, that remove any doubt that Lordship Salvation is a man centered message that frustrates grace (Gal. 2:21).

LM

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Piney there is no Biblical support for your assertion of two salvations. Romans 10:9-10 is exclusive. You die without havinng acknowledged Christ with your mouth and believed on Him in your heart you are doomed period.

14. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    start a new thread on it and maybe you will understand what I am saying. You folks do not rightly divide the word and end up accusing others who try to do so of error, blasphemy, or heresy.
    Jesus Christ is IN FACT Savior and Redeemer.
    Your telling people they need to do or possess something in their part makes him a Savior-not-yet.
    I'll be happy to discuss this.
    I tried to start a new thead on it a few weeks back but no one seemed to pick up on it.

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It is not us who is incorrectly dividing God's word. You are adding to it a salvation which isn't taught. Why start another thread advocating an apostate teaching? To me this type of belief is dangerous in that it is extra-Biblical. It is an illogical conclusion to the Calvinist stance. No real need for evangelism if this is true. Preachers, evangelists, and others who share their faith are wasting their time. There are so many problems with this false teaching. No wonder you didn't get much of a response in the other thread. The Bible is very clear. Salvation does require a response on our part and without that response there is no salvation. And, being that this is off topic I won't respond any more. but this type of teaching cannot go unchecked.

#35 sag38, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and I thought the two salvations heresy was limited to Millenial Exclusionists :tear:

17. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With due respect to the OP I have started a thread on this, explaining what I mean, and you all might find it different from what the ME teaches.

18. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Not that it appears this thread is clear of a distraction, I'll give it one more restart.

Following is another example of Lordship Salvation as expressed by Dr. John MacArthur, but this time from outside his major apologetics, such as The Gospel According to Jesus.
    Dr. MacArthur is stating what he believes are necessary requirements to be born again. The use of phrases such as, “salvation begins…” confirms this. His Lordship message to the lost is that for salvation they must make an up-front commitment of absolute “submission” to live in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ. John MacArthur’s Lordship Salvation conditions the free gift of God on a commitment to performance of the “good works” (Eph. 2:10) expected of a born again disciple of Christ.

In his new book, Getting the Gospel Wrong Dr. J. B. Hixson (Executive Director of the Free Grace Alliance) addressed the above quote by MacArthur. Hixson’s response is found under a chapter titled, The Performance Gospel, pp. 304-5.
    There are numerous examples, such as the one here from John MacArthur, that remove any doubt that Lordship Salvation is a man centered message that frustrates grace (Gal. 2:21).

LM

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think I asked you this once before but exactly where in the Bible does it support the belief that there are two types of salvation?

20. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Yes, you did and he said he was taking that discussion elsewhere so that he does not give the appearance of hi-jacking this thread, which is a discussion of John MacArthur's interpretation of saving faith. Thanks.

LM