1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philosophical discussion about free will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 3, 2007.

1. johnp.

johnp. New Member

We know now, you believe some are controlled and some are not. Those who are not saved have free will while the Christian has none. Cool. :)

Php 2:13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Good but since you belong to God why do you sin since you say He controls you?

I'll take it you mean not everyone is saved though everyone belongs to God because Jesus bought us.

What is sin? If sin is a breaking of God's law how can God be a sinner? You are not suggesting He is under law are you? Is God bound by a law we are not bound by?
    Rom 6:14 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

God is the first cause of course He makes us sin. :) Rom 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience...
    Ex 4:21 ...But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.
    2SA 16:11 David then said to Abishai and all his officials, "My son, who is of my own flesh, is trying to take my life. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the LORD has told him to.
    1KI 22:23 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
    Want some more?

He holds us responsible. If you look at Pharaoh you will see that it was God that hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he would disobey God's command to let the people go.
    David was well aware of the fact that God gets people to do things they will be held to account for why don't you?

God says we are. Why do we know God is just in choosing one man over another? Because He said so.
    RO 9:14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

There you go, God controls reprobates as well.

God isn't a fortune teller? haha! Brilliant man. God is not omniscient you mean? Yes or no please. I cannot handle things that are not. Do you mean to say that God is not involved in the creation of people. Your first sentence seems to suggest this.
    I have no idea why you speak of people God never created.

You are saying God is not omniscient?

You have done so already. You say that it would be unjust for God to condemn a man after He made them do His will. This is your judgment, man's idea of right and wrong meant for man not God. God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Yes.

God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

No.

Paul says that Esau was hated and Jacob was loved and they are the pattern for all men. This occured before they had done a thing to show us that it is God who has mercy and who hardens. He then tells us that the only reason He raised Pharaoh up was to put him down in public making a Name for Himself. Many thousands could have died in Egypt. That is why Paul expects you to ask, "Why?"

Why blame Pharaoh for not giving up the Jews? Don't talk back.
    Why did God create Esau only to send him to Hell? Don't talk back.
    See? If you don't get the question Paul expects you to get then you have not understood Paul's argument. His argument is one of a Despotic God who sends people to Hell, I won't say for no reason, but for the reason given, RO 9:22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory--

Calvinism isn't a theory it is a systematic theology. It is a study of God as He has revealed Himself in scripture.

That I might be wrong in places and have gaps in my knowledge but that in itself doesn't make me wrong. You have shown me only your opinion and that conflicts with scripture. I mean you don't even accept a straight forward statement PR 16:1 To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue.

God's foreknowledge has to do with people not the things they do.

As far as I know I have not explained my view on God's foreknowledge but I can say it is orthodox. :) Which is more than yours is.

No one seeks God but we can still seek God is your reply? You do not agree with it.

A Damascus road experience like Paul's was it?

john.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sin nature? Yes. Condemnation? No.
    I know context isn't your strong point, but what sin has a newborn committed? I don't buy the popular "I'm not a sinner because I sin, I sin because I'm a sinner" phrase. A sinner is one who commits sin.
    Please supply one instance where ANY infant spoke anything from the womb, let alone "lies".
    ...because I have nothing to complain about. God told me it is appointed for me ONCE to die. That's fine.

3. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Whatever is not of faith is sin.

4. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

You said "I believe the physical killing of these infants was an even greater love than we could possibly know..."

IOW, killing the infiants was an act/decision of love. How have I misinterpreted your statement?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, since you seem to be thinking along the line of johnp that there are infants in hell, I guess you don't see it as an act of love. I believe every aborted child, every infant and young child and those born with mental handicaps are in Heaven. Allowing children of pagans to grow up and continue in their fathers' footsteps would most likely lead to the second death. I believe since their lives were taken away at such a young age, God preserved them from ever dying the second death. That's where I see He greater love.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What faith does an infant have?

7. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Like I said. "Wow! Killing as an act of love."

8. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Whatever is *not* of faith is sin. If this is true and one says that an infant has no faith, then one must conclude that all they do is 'not of faith' and therefore is sin.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Trees don't have faith...are they sinning? ;)

That text is speaking of ACTION.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen :thumbs:

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello webdog.

Well blown me down webdog! Do you mean Paul was wrong? RO 5:18 Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men... :)

I don't need to prove babies are sinners as babies die. I know manners is not yours. :)

RO 5:18 Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men... :)

PS 58:3 Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward and speak lies.

Then you will never get it right will you. Sins are the symptoms of our sickness not the sickness itself.

Me? I wouldn't dream of it since you don't take God's word for it. :) If that don't count for nothing nothing I say will.

john.

12. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Trees don't do anything. Children do.

So how about a dog, you might say. A dog does things and they don't have faith...are they sinning?

I respond: Are you arguing that an infant is no more than an animal in the things they do? If so, then on what basis would you argue that infants who die go to heaven when animals don't.

You can't have it both ways. Either a child has faith and acts in/not in faith or else they don't. If they don't then they are no more than animals and the arguments for them going to heaven become moot since animals go to neither heaven or hell. If they are, in fact, more than animals and thus have faith, then they exercise it in action or they don't and whatever is not of faith is sin.

13. johnp.

johnp. New Member

You go too far webdog. I have never said reprobates children are in Hell. :) Please correct your error.

Luke 1:44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

What, that faith you mean? :)

You know all about trees and babies webdog?

ISA 55:12 You will go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
    the mountains and hills
    will burst into song before you,
    and all the trees of the field
    will clap their hands.

john. :)

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Killing is an act of love?

This is an example of how irrational freewill theology is.

The freewill view of infants is one of the things that drove me toward Calvinism.

I had heard funeral sermons where the preacher said that an infant died because God, in His "high tower", could see the future of the child and spared the child of some terrible thing awaiting. I said to myself "then why was the baby born to begin with?" At another funeral, the preacher said that God loved the baby so much that He wanted it there with Him. I thought to myself that if there's a purpose in the death of an infant, it must have to do with those left behind, not the baby itself.

When I started presenting these questions to my freewill pastor, the only answer I got was "we really can't know about these things." I wasn't bold enought to say it, but I thought "well why are you preaching as if you do know what you're talking about".

I was taught that infants and small children don't need to be saved because they are "safe" until the age of accountability. I was simultaneously being taught that sin is in the child as soon as they are conceived. It wasn't long after that, when I had diligently searched my bible, that I rejected the notion of an age of accountability. It just wasn't there. I could find sin, but I couldn't find safety.

So after that, I started telling my students and brethren, very casually, that I did not believe in the "safety" of infants or an age of accountability. I said "only God knows what happens to the souls of infants". I didn't realize it, but I was already turning to Calvinism even before I ever heard of it. Of course I realize that even some Calvinists believe that all infants that die as infants are elect, and therefore, are saved. But I think an honest look at the issue will bring to the inescapable conclusion that God has left this knowledge hidden from us until the resurrection.

15. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Exactly! God will go ahead and create a person whom He KNOWS will go to hell (not probably will go to hell, but is absolutely sure will go to hell), yet then they argue that He will kill babies to prevent the same?!

And if He kills some babies as an act of love, what about all the babies He doesn't kill to prevent them going to hell - does He not love them as well?

Yep. Personally, I would like to believe the former, but in the end one must simply say that Scripture doesn't tell us. The only answer one can have is that we KNOW that whatever God does will be just.

16. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

Interesting