1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PHP - script for dynamic daily devotion...help!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Felix, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Felix

Felix Member

Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me find a php script (with mysql) that will allow me to create a dynamic table on a page with its content being a different devotion every day of the year? I have been looking for weeks now, even months, without any success. It would be a great help. The devotionals will not be in English, so a link to an English site will not work. It has to be created from scretch. I just need an idea.....

Thank you all very much and God bless you

Felix

2. Brett

Brett New Member

Well, does it have to be in PHP? As a language, Perl is a lot more widespread on the 'net these days, and it would probably be somewhat easier to find a Perl script to do the thing you're describing than to find a PHP script.

That said, I don't know offhand of any such PHP OR Perl scripts, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to write one yourself. Just fill up an array with the devotional text from your database, then get the current time in epoch seconds (if this was Perl, you'd just say $time = time(); ) and calculate which devotional text you wanna use based on that. You'd probably just store rest of the page that the devotionals are on as static HTML.

If you're not able to find one and need helping writing one, don't be afraid to ask. Be aware though that if it must be PHP, my experience there is limited.

3. grandpa

grandpa New Member

You might want to check this link to the Quote Display scripts at Hostscripts.com. There are several that could possibly be what you're looking for - you can use your devotionals rather than quotes, I would think.

Grandpa